Who Elk hunts SOLO?

I enjoy solo hunting and also enjoy hunting with a positive hunting partner. Two years ago I was lucky enough to spend 21 days solo in the backcountry (ran into other hunters a few times). My goal was to study the area and get a handle on elk behavior and vocalizations. I realized that a solo month would probably be my cutoff. I was starting to go to seed and was really looking forward to seeing family and friends. For me, solo hunting is more than just a physical challenge. The mental aspect is more demanding and therefore can be even more rewarding. More than 30 days and I might start grunting and hump a leg when I get back into town (which I now understand is not socially acceptable :)).

Same here, the physical aspects of the solo elk hunt weren't the problem for me. It was the mental aspects. When I started talking to myself, and thinking it was a good idea to go talk to a group of hikers I spotted on a mountain about 4 miles away I knew it was time to head in and recover. Lol

Same here, the physical aspects of the solo elk hunt weren't the problem for me. It was the mental aspects. When I started talking to myself, and thinking it was a good idea to go talk to a group of hikers I spotted on a mountain about 4 miles away I knew it was time to head in and recover. Lol

Man you aren't kidding. It definitely took me awhile to get used to being in deep all by myself and it's always a bit of a culture shock getting back into town. The hunting I prefer on my own but camp life is sure easier mentally with a partner...

Mike

Most of my early season hunts are solo pack in hunts. I rifle hunt with my brother. If I am going to be packing in for more than 3 days it is nice to have a buddy to B.S with at the end of the day, gets a little lonely after a few days in the mountains. That being said I mainly hunt by myself. The positive is I don't have to change my hunting style at all.