Who Elk hunts SOLO?

thebugler

FNG
Who doesn't have an elk hunting partner to share the pursuit of these big nasty bulls that we are all so fond of?

I touch base on a few of my favorite solo tactics in the next "Antler Tips" section of Extreme Elk magazine. They may just give you one more trick to stuff up your sleeve in the elk woods this fall!

If you haven't signed up yet for a subscription, the deadline is April 12th to insure that you dont miss this issue :)

Attachments

• 00small79004006.JPG
    00small79004006.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 78

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a good article Dirk.........solo offers advantages and disadvantages........but most of mine have been solo.

I think hunting elk on your own is a lil better, less noise, less scent the only down side to hunting solo is packing all that meat out by your self but for most of us that's a labor of love by the way I love the magazine

littlebuf

Banned
I only elk hunt solo. for archery season any way. had a partner on the muzzy cow I took this year. but that was a road hunt

I'm from Utah, we never hunt in a group less than 10.....................................

Solitude

WKR
About half the time I am hunting solo; seems my intensity, predatory and survival instincts are much more elevated when I go it alone.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting solo is ok if you share a camp with someone. Hunting is always better when you have the camaraderie to go with it.

sk1

WKR
95% solo, wouldn't mind hunting with a good partner, but haven't found one of those. also for many scenarios i believe your odds are better solo....a few times i have taken someone with me, i always end up thinking i wish i were solo after we have already started our hunt and regretted it other than the company.

trdhunter

WKR
+1 sk1. Most the time im solo. Once in a while my dad is able to go and I will never tell him no. Finding people to hunt with more than once is no easy task. Used to have a couple buddys who i hunted with but they have changed, now if i go with them they want to be lazy, no hiking, want to go home to watch football, play golf, all kinds of dumb shit. Ohh well, leaves only me to screw things up;)

they want to be lazy, no hiking, want to go home to watch football, play golf, all kinds of dumb shit.

Man you said it.

I've got one reliable buddy now and it took some doing to convert him to backpack hunting. Now he's buying backcountry gear left and right and I know we'll have a good hunt this year, but backcountry hunters are few and far between.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working on a friend of mine for this fall but its hard to find someone willing to go 5+ days without a cell phone signal.

littlebuf

Banned
but backcountry hunters are few and far between.

and usually don't last. every body wants to do the 20 miles from the truck thing but very few will stick with it. with the recent serge in "back country" hunters it will be interesting to see how many last more than one season. get back there, work your ass off and don't have any success. not every body has the sand to stick with it for two or three years of getting your ass kicked going home empty handed and coming back for more. that's a one factor of why I hunt alone, but not the only one. im hoping a nice side affect of all the new backpackers will be some loaded classifieds next year...

TJ

WKR
Solo here also. It's nice to get away from MOST of the crowds.

No roads, no atv's, no trucks, just trails and lots of wide open. Gotta love-it.

this year might be my first year, my wife got a new job and hasnt accum. any vaca. yet and my other friend ive hunted elk with in the past has a kid on the way

Bighorse

WKR
Send em up here into the rainforests of SE Alaska. I'll thin em out for ya. I hunt solo. I wouldn't say it's more or less effective. It's just different. A group approach can be very effective and fun. As long as your smart about scent, visability, and movement you'll be fine.

I'd never go hunt a Roosevelt solo. The packout is brutal. I may end up carrying out a Central AK Range Caribou solo this year. I am trying to get a partner lined up on that. I will say I'd rather go solo than with an unproven friend.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy solo hunting and also enjoy hunting with a positive hunting partner. Two years ago I was lucky enough to spend 21 days solo in the backcountry (ran into other hunters a few times). My goal was to study the area and get a handle on elk behavior and vocalizations. I realized that a solo month would probably be my cutoff. I was starting to go to seed and was really looking forward to seeing family and friends. For me, solo hunting is more than just a physical challenge. The mental aspect is more demanding and therefore can be even more rewarding. More than 30 days and I might start grunting and hump a leg when I get back into town (which I now understand is not socially acceptable :)).