Who has a back up bow?

slim9300

WKR
I have my primary bow (CPXL) and always take my backup bow if I'm headed more than a few hours from home (D340). My backup is sighted in for broadheads and ready to go. Everything on it is identical to my primary in terms of accessories and it shoots the same arrow.

Maxhunter

WKR
I usually have two hunting bows set-up just in case. I currently have a 2011 Element and 2012 Turbo. I'll have three once my 2013 Element arrives!

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago my cousin pulled an arrow out of his quiver to have his broadhead brush against the string...

I always take one with me but have never had to use one. I do know guys who have had to. If I was traveling out of state there would be no question because bad things can screw up a hunt in a hurry.

Won't ever NOT have one!!! used it this year just for fun :) Its ALWAYS in my truck b/c I know I will only be out 1/2 day to a day max hike out swamp and hike back in

I currently have 2 back-ups. One longer ATA for out west and done shorter ATA for back home in KS. Then I use my western 35" back-up bow as my 3D rig and my primary is my field/fita rig and from time to time I will use that at a 3D instead. So I am not just shooting my primary all the time but my back-ups as well so I am just as comfortable with them as I am my primary.

horseshoe

FNG
i usually bring a compound and a recurve on my out of state hunts. glad i did this past year in colorado. i swung my bow into a branch and derailed the string off of the top cam trying to draw on a quickly departing bull! took me two days to find a method to get the string back on (pse omen). hunted with the recurve in the meantime.

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
I gave my backup to a good friend one year ago. Well this August, on a goat hunt, my bow failed and I had to take one with a gun. No regrets but it sure would've been nice to take it with a bow. I will have a backup soon.

bohntr

WKR
My back-up bow is identical to my primary (Bowtech Invasion) and sighted in with my primary arrows. It has the same weight, draw, sight, rest, etc. When I need it, I simply transfer my quiver over and stabilizer and I'm ready to go. Only had to do this once on an out-of-state hunt, but I'm glad I had it or I would have been done.

Whisky

WKR
For some reason, the backup bows rarely make it on trips as room is always tight and we've never needed one. We always pack a bow press and archery tool box and have rarely ever needed that. I think a portable press, few tools, and an extra set of strings and cable would be all a guy needs. I will be selling both of my old bows pretty soon and upgrading to a new one, and only one...

trkyslr

WKR
Ive had one for last 8 years and have needed it 0 times. So my backup bow is now my bowfushing bow

I always have several bows ready to roll at a moments notice. And we're always sure we have at least one backup bow on out of state trips (the people I hunt the most with shoot the same specs as I do).

Ive only needed a backup once in over ten years of out of state hunts, and it saved my ass on that trip.

With the money guys invest in hunting, $800 packs, ultra-spendy camping gear, four digit prices on tags, years worth of applying for tags, gas, and most importantly, vacation time, I think its stupid a guy NOT have one. You can pick up some pretty nice bows that are 4+ years old and VERY capable of being a back up bow. In the long run, its cheap insurance to protect a much bigger investment in an out of state hunting trip.

jmez

WKR
Don't have one. If I go somewhere I take extra parts, accessories and a press. I used to keep a backup but don't any longer.

I guess if something really broke that couldn't be fixed, I would just drive into town and buy a bow.

Elc1973

FNG
My dad cut his cable on a rock one year and it basically cost us a full day to go into town and find one put,it on, re tune,and then get back to the mountain. After that I've had a backup haven't needed it yet but it's nice to have at least in the truck at the trailhead.

I do. My Hoyt Trykon XL is tuned for broadheads and shoots the same arrow. I couldn't bring myself to sell it as the value wasn't there so I figured I would keep it as a back up. Bonus: it has killed two elk so I know it is proven and works.

J-Daddy

WKR
I've got 2 of the same bow, Obsession Knightmares, one is a camo 70lbs "hunting rig" and the other is a black 60lbs "3-d" but when hunting season gets here I will set the black one up to hunt with so I have a spare.