Who has a back up bow?

dotman

WKR
Nope, almost did but sold it while there was still value in it. How many have actually needed one?

bowuntr

WKR
I've always had a backup bow. I've only had to use it a couple times when my main bow went down for something.... never during a planned primary hunt. I take it on every hunt I can or leave it in the vehicle at the trailhead. Just for insurance is all. I don't take it when I have to fly.... Ed F

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
I do...kind of...I have two set ups that I am running right now. One for spot and stalk and one for tree stand/ground blind. I don't plan to do this in the future though, but I will keep one of them as a back up when I get a new bow.

I really haven't ever needed it, but it is nice to have just in case.

OP
justin davis
Yea I have never needed one. But I guess there is the chance of needing one you never know.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always plan on using the other guys bow as a back up. I shot Arons boy in Colorado and it was dead on for me. In January I will have Ed F's bow as a back up. If I am hunting solo, then I only have the one.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Part of me is leaning more this way Doug. I have never needed a backup bow, but I would hate to need it and not have it. However, like Ed said, when flying you would only take one bow anyways, and the hunts I would need to fly for are the ones I would want a backup the most because they will be remote. Long story short, I am starting to think that it really isn't necessary to have a backup bow....especially if you are using quality gear.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine takes a break-down recurve on all of his trips. It's small enough that it fits in his case without any problems. Completely different than his main bow, but it at least gives him something to hunt with in the event he has issues. I like the idea, but I can't shoot traditional to save my life.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not a backup.... But I have 2 :) hard to justify not having an exta when your driving cross country and spending NR tag prices. My am32 and vt will not be getting replaced for atleast another couple years

OR Archer

WKR
I have two bows but my son shoots my spare bow. You can pick up some good bows on the cheap anymore for a spare, so it's not really a bad idea to have a back up.

Gus

FNG
I do. I needed it this year on an out of state mtn goat hunt. at the shot, my bottom cam hit a rock hard, crushing the cam and fracturing the limb. I had a back up bow at the trailhead. otherwise it would have been a 20 hour ride home. those who don't take a back up on out of state trips like to push their luck imo. cheap insurance when you add up costs and time for each hunt we take. good luck.

My backup bow has a backup... and my backup's backup also has a backup.... I have 4 bows that are fully operational and they all shoot like a dream. I couldn't fathom what it would be like to miss an archery hunt due to my bow not being ready...

Yukondog

WKR
I don't as of right now. I would like to buy a new set up for next year and if I do i will keep my current set up as a back up.

2010 I had a nightmare happen. 5 days before a out of state hunt my top limbs broke. Manufacturer was awesome and overnighted a new bow to me. During the shipping the bow was damaged. Called them back with 3 days before hunt and they overnighted another bow. I had one hour the day before I left to set up the new bow. I was extremely stresses out the whole week. Ended up getting my deer which was a good ending.

I think a back up bow is a very good idea. I simply have not thrown down the coin. Last several couple years I've spent my money on gear. All new clothes, backpacking gear and new pack. Next year will be the year for buying a new bow with all the goodies.

Matt

theedz

WKR
I have one and probably always will. I have only needed it once when the string jumped off the cam. A twig got caught between the string and the top cam at full draw. Didn't even see it and didn't have a press with me at the time. The reason for getting a backup bow was because in one year I went through three set of limbs, all put on by the bow shop (don't go there any more by the way). Didn't have a backup and with the time lost during season thought it was well worth getting atleast something. Thought about toying with the idea of getting a recurve and just having 1 compound and 1 traditional and calling it good.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always plan on using the other guys bow as a back up. I shot Arons boy in Colorado and it was dead on for me. In January I will have Ed F's bow as a back up. If I am hunting solo, then I only have the one.
Did Arron's boy make it ok? : )

Sean

FNG
I will always have a backup bow. I have a serious complex about selling anything I have bought new or was giving to me by a family member. Right now I have 4 bows that are ready to roll. Short trips to deer lease for a weekend I only carry my primary bow, but any extended hunt I always carry 2 bows. Never needed it yet, but I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

Yea I have never needed one. But I guess there is the chance of needing one you never know.

Believe me you never want to find out if you need one and don't have one. It could mean valuable time away from your hunt. I had an issue with my first bow in 2008 on my first elk hunt and missed 3 days of my hunt because I had to drive 600 miles round trip to have it fixxed. I bought a backup bow later that year.