Who has a custom slate or glass call

trkyslr

WKR
The best sounding slates ive heard are MADD CALLS slates and they run under 20 usually. I prefer the silver aluminator with both wood and carbon striker for diff sounds. Its nothing fancy or pretty but it sure has been an aid to a chitload of turkey murders in my woods ;-)

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Get online and do a search for slate calls imo calls made in MO or TENN are the best I usally run a glass overslate but hav slate,glass,and slate over glass also look for the guy turning them out in his garage as most small operations is where you get the most for your money and turkey calls are almost always better when mad on a small scale I don't generally use any mass produced calls. The guy bustin his butt in his garage does it out of passion not for money just my experince.

ChadH

FNG
Get online and do a search for slate calls imo calls made in MO or TENN are the best I usally run a glass overslate but hav slate,glass,and slate over glass also look for the guy turning them out in his garage as most small operations is where you get the most for your money and turkey calls are almost always better when mad on a small scale I don't generally use any mass produced calls. The guy bustin his butt in his garage does it out of passion not for money just my experince.
Yep! I grew up in MO, and have only lived "Out West" a couple years now. I'd take a nice call from some guy in his garage any day over almost any call I've tried from the big makers (and I think I've used most of them, at least the makers anyway). Go to Old Gobbler Forum and look at the list of call makers... pick one or two you like the looks of and email them. I will tell you, they are all super busy this time of year. Everyone is wanting a call before the season. So, if you want to hunt with it this year, you had better pull the trigger pretty quick. If you want a call maker to start with, look at "Lights Out" custom calls by Wendell Rye.

Last edited:

cburns17

FNG
Not sure where you're at Buckman, but if you are close to Nashville you might think about the NWTF show in a couple of weeks. There were lots of call makers last year, and I'm sure the same will hold true for this year's event.

Hardway

FNG
If you have not bought your call yet check out Midwest Turkey Hunting Supply in Il. If you can't find what you want there it doesn't exist. I always try to find some thing alittle different that you won't find in walmart or the big hunting stores.

opg

FNG
carolina call.jpg
Buddy of mine made this for me last year...25.00 and it sounds great

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Buckman, the guy I posted is in Eau Claire WI. Check him out. Turning out some pretty awesome calls out of his basement. No joke. What part of the state are you in? If you are close to me, I'd find a way to let you check out mine. I think I have 4 slates and a wingbone he made. I gave my groomsmen slate calls for wedding gifts. And reasonable too. Almost the same as a Cabelas off-the shelf call.

jmez

WKR
Look on ebay. Tons of garage call makers and alot of them turn out some really good stuff. I will warn you, buying hand made turkey calls can and will get addictive.