Who has an insulated garage door?

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
If the sun normally shines on the doors in summer the inside of an uninsulated door gets almost hot to the touch. An insulated door tends to prevent that heat transfer during the hottest part of the day.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Quick update on this...we replaced the doors last year and have been enjoying not only cooler/warmer temps in the summer/winter, but quieter operation and less noise that gets into the garage from outside, which makes the house quieter. Really glad I decided to go whole hog on the insulation rating.

NB7

WKR
I got an insulated garage door and spray-foamed the 2 exterior garage walls. What a huge difference it all made. The garage stays relatively cool in the summer and MUCH warmer in the winter. Plus I know it's slowed down whatever heat loss was going out the two interior walls that are shared with the house. Get the insulated one and spray foam or otherwise insulate the exterior walls and you won't be sorry you did.

AZmark

WKR
I have insulated doors and they’re great. But if you park a hot car in it and close the door keeps the heat in. So in the summer I park the car in the shade till it cools of then pull it it.

We have a large double insulated door on the house and I couldn't be happier. My shop has two single uninsulated and it's a HUGE difference.

jjchad

WKR
I replaced our garage door a few years back and replaced the old one with an insulated one, I have not regretted this decision. And I live where it get 110+ in the summers.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, go insulated. They are heavier so make sure springs and motor are properly sized.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The thing is.......the heat from your engines will keep the garage warmer in the winter and summer.
This. Think of it like a cooler. if you trap hot air in it stays hotter , hot air Out it stays cooler. I live in South Florida. I leave my insulated door up when its warm until my engine cools off or it gets dang hot in that garage. Regardless having an insulated door is a better option than just a metal door.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Do your self a favor and get a hybrid hot water heater in the garage. It cools the garage during summer. Not sure its what you want in winter.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I'm building a house in Show Low AZ now and I'm doing insulated doors on the garage. I've got a pretty big wine collection (30 cases) and won't have a wine cellar. Hoping the garage will suffice.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
So we're having two garage doors replaced in the next week, but the existing doors are just the metal door w/o any insulation. Local door company was running a special on their R12.9 doors and we pulled the trigger.

What I'd like to know is how are they during hot summers? I'm sure I will like the garage being warmer during the winter, but do they hold the heat in during the summers? Living in Texas, and obviously not having AC in the garage makes me wonder if I'll end up regretting this purchase.
I have one like you are looking at, and another garage door that was spray foamed. Both are noticeably cooler than ambient temp even I'm the summer

I have a 16ft door at work. Something to be aware of is they are much heavier, at least ours is. Our door is over 20yrs old, so hopefully they are better designed now