Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

Also, get a CapCap lid if you DO use a nalegene and don't already have one...it's much easier to drink from and eliminates you touching any contaminated water on the rim of the Nalgene if you fill it directly from the stream.

I am wondering who has completely ditched the Nalgene bottle? I always take one and a water bladder but I weighed the Nalgene and it was 6.5oz. I didn’t realize they were that heavy. I also weighed a smart water bottle which seems like a heavy duty bottle. But I do enjoy the wide opening on the Nalgene for gathering water
9f3bc447d37b4154ab6c687e15c84d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I will ditch the nalgene this year and follow your lead and use a big smart water bottle or the big fiji bottle also fit in the side pocket of my bags

huntnful

WKR
I'm sticking with the Nalgene, but was happy to find this thread because I didn't know they had a version that was 1/2 the weight!! I'm keeping it mostly because it's really nice to filter water, with a squeeze filter, into it, and then pour into other smaller mouthed containers and water bladders.

Been pissing in one in my treestand for 15 years. It holds exactly 1 morning of urine...lol

All day sits require a second bottle.
Nalgene make a 96 ounce foldable wide mouth canteen. It’s what I keep in the tent for the same purpose.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to the GSI Microlite because they said it keeps drinks cold for 33 hrs and hot for like 18 hours (something like that). Well it holds water but definitely doesn't perform as advertised. Not even close. I don't get the false claims on some of these companies.

You need to pre heat/chill the microlite to get the best performance.
Yup. Same for any insulated container.
I pre-cool my coolers with 1 gallon jugs of ice that I keep in the freezer. My coffee thermos gets boiling water dumped in for about 2 minutes before I fill it (if I need it to stay hot all day).

jpmulk

WKR
I like my nalgene. Ive needed it to hold hot water to get me through the night. Earned my love after that!

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to the GSI Microlite because they said it keeps drinks cold for 33 hrs and hot for like 18 hours (something like that). Well it holds water but definitely doesn't perform as advertised. Not even close. I don't get the false claims on some of these companies.

My GSI thermos(s) work great for hot drinks later in the day if I start with boiling water. Even better if I swish some boiling water in there to pre-heat, dump that out, and then fill it with boiling water to make my coffee/tea/broth.
If I fill them with "drinkable temperature" coffee or tea, then they do not stay hot enough very long, maybe an hour?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Nalgene with the wide mouth is just about required in cold conditions. Narrow mouth containers will freeze and it's time consuming getting the opening thawed.

Agree, I always carry a Smartwater bottle, except when it's well below freezing. Then you need something more durable like a Nalgene.

also, when carrying water bottles when it's well below freezing. Keep them upside down. Ice forms on the surface of water. If your bottle is right side up the ice will block the hole. When you store them upside down the ice forms on the bottom. When you flip it over to drink there's no ice in the way.
The liquid water near the screw top threads should also keep the lid from freeze locking.

JigStick

WKR
I think the situation dictates the gear honestly. If I’m around water sources, moving fast, and covering a lot of ground I prefer one larger bladder and an MSR Thrulink spliced inline. Just fill up the bag with dirty water and filter it as you drink it. At base / spike camp I still prefer a pump, some storage bags, and Aquamira backup. And always have a titanium cup/bottle of some sort to cook/boil in.

rhubarb4

FNG
I use a combination. 1 nalgene for gathering and putting hot water in when it's cold(goes in the sleeping bag with me), and 1 or 2 smart bottles for actually drinking from.
I'm water paranoid and probably always have more water than is necessary.

Mikido

WKR
I use a combination. 1 nalgene for gathering and putting hot water in when it's cold(goes in the sleeping bag with me), and 1 or 2 smart bottles for actually drinking from.
I'm water paranoid and probably always have more water than is necessary.
Hmmm I do the reverse, but I like your idea better. I use the steripen…your method never has dirty water. Thanks for the tip.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I said I dropped the nalgene in favor of an SS bottle. Testing my gear I put boiling water in it, tightened it up, and the threads for the lid slipped! A little bit of leaky leaky too.....

So, finding out from this thread about the lightweight bottle, I bought 2 of them. They can take hotter water than a regular nalgene too. So they will work fine as a heater if needed. I'll give them a test of course.

Plus in discussions around here, I also carry a ti pot and stove. So I can ditch the SS and still boil water in a container if I need to.

Lastly, just as a personal thing, I don't want to add any more disposable plastic to the world if I can help it. I also see too many of them on the ground in the hills as it is.

So, I am going BACK to a nalgene.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
I pack both a nalgene and bladder. I find the extra capacity of the nalgene helpful, that’s all.

I packed a 2.5L bladder with a 32oz nalgene this year for days hunts. I like having the nalgene for mixing in flavor/hydration boosters.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason no one has come out with an insulated (double wall) titanium bottle yet?