Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

marktole

WKR
How are y’all carrying multiple full Nalgene's?

I carry them in a Kifaru nalgene pocket on my hip belt. One on each side. Got tired of digging them out of my pack when I stopped to get water. I will usually only carry one during the day when I am hunting out of a camp, two full ones are kinda heavy, I just keep a steripen with me to get more water when I am out and about.

Pretty hard to beat the weight savings using a Smart Water bottle and a 2 oz Sawyer mini filter. The empty water bottles are so light and come in diiferent sizes. Use one for just water ( a bigger one for filtering ) a smaller one for mixing in some flavor and a spare.

Mosby

WKR
I use my nalgene's for car camping. When I pack in, I bring smartwater bottles.

Maverick1

WKR
The first few years I hunted elk my water setup consisted of screwing a Nalgene bottle onto the bottom of a MSR miniworks pump filter. After several hundred pumps, I would unscrew the pump and Nalgene bottle, then dump the water from the Nalgene bottle into the opening of my water bladder, careful that I didn't dump the whole works onto the ground or into the top of my bag. After a couple of seasons doing it this way, I weighed the Nalgene bottle at like 6 ounces and thought "damn, this thing is heavy!" - and I switched to a "flexible canteen" instead of the traditional Nalgene bottle.

https://www.nalgene.com/travel-and-home/cantene/

The flexible canteen will save about 4 ounces, but likely isn't as durable as the rigid bottle. I used this system for a couple more years.

I have since moved towards the sawyer squeeze system, saving a bunch of weight in the process, ditching the MSR pump and nalege bottles altogether. Now I just have the sawyer squeeze bag and filter - which gets plugged directly into my water bladder with a couple of quick connect fittings. Weighs a bunch less and is much easier.....

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Seems like there is a lot of guys still using them, for those who have ditched them what does everyone use to attach the smaller water bottles to there packs? I always just used a carabiner to attach the Nalgene to my hip belt which made easy access to drink from it. I never seemed to drink enough water if I have to take the pack off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been a fan of the Nalgene. I've been using a Vapur Eclipse 1 L flexible water bottle. It has a flip top that won't leak and a big mouth so that I can dry/clean it easily after the trip.

It has all the advantages of the Nalgene without the bulk, weight, or noise of sloshing water.

Trial153

WKR
Never been a fan of the Nalgene. I've been using a Vapur Eclipse 1 L flexible water bottle. It has a flip top that won't leak and a big mouth so that I can dry/clean it easily after the trip.

It has all the advantages of the Nalgene without the bulk, weight, or noise of sloshing water.
You just cost me 13.99

mtnhmr

FNG
The 6oz nalgene = adding hot water will not warp the container, resistant to stains/flavors from other liquids.

The 4oz nalgene = container will warp due to hot water, and I would assume leech toxins from the plastic, flavors from other liquids are more apt to remain.

With the 6oz nalgenes, you can add boiling water and place them in the engine compartment of snowmachines for cold starts, not the most efficient heat sink, but it's something.

Last edited:
Nalgene does suck. Smart Water bottles and a big Sawyer filter is the only way to go. I turkey hunted with a bladder for a few years but they ultimately become a pain inn the @ss.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I've shattered the 6oz Nalgenes with freezing water expansion - the HDPE (3oz) version hasn't broken on me. I've also neglected Sawyer filters and shattered them in the cold, too. I use a Steripen now and manage the batteries like the other electronics I carry.

I'm going to have to snag one of those light nalgenes. I like having one because I drink more from them than a bladder but typically don't carry one backpacking.

My usual setup is two 3L bladders and a cup.

I hike in with one bladder full and one empty. When I get to where I am going to camp, I go fill both bladders and leave one at camp. That way I'm not running out of water for the sake of rehydrating food or making coffee. Drink mixes go in the cup.

I also recently switched from a Sawyer squeeze to katadyn pump filter. At this point, I'll happily take the weight penalty of the katadyn. Pumping clean water straight into the bladder with the katadyn is much easier than the three handed operation of squeezing the Sawyer into a semi open bladder.

I like having a nalgene to boil water for my coffee/mountain house. I’ll use a 3L bladder and a 1L nalgene and leave a stache or water in the sawyer bags back at camp to refill everything at the end of the day. But I suppose a smartwater bottle could serve the same purpose.

OXN939

WKR
Just a heads up for everyone reusing disposable bottles, there are some pretty serious risks associated with doing this. TL;DR- basically, the cheap plastic used in their construction degrades and sheds microflakes and chemicals, which you end up drinking. The extra few ounces a stainless Hydro Flask weighs are well worth it in my book. But, I'm a plastic hypochondriac.

Just a heads up for everyone reusing disposable bottles, there are some pretty serious risks associated with doing this. TL;DR- basically, the cheap plastic used in their construction degrades and sheds microflakes and chemicals, which you end up drinking. The extra few ounces a stainless Hydro Flask weighs are well worth it in my book. But, I'm a plastic hypochondriac.

Not sure it really matters when plastics are already in drinking/ground water. :p
But you do make a valid point.
Death by a million plastics particle slices apparently.

OXN939

WKR
Not sure it really matters when plastics are already in drinking/ground water. :p
But you do make a valid point.
Death by a million plastics particle slices apparently.

True, but I'd rather have the groundwater plastics plus nothing than groundwater plastics plus water bottle sheddings! Reusing disposable bottles also concentrates said plastics into a tiny volume of water, most of which you will personally be drinking. So yeah. I'll carry my 6 ounce Nalgene or 10 ounce Hydro Flask