Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

ChrisAU

WKR
I’d bet the odds of getting killed by a water bottle re-used a few times over 5-10 days is less than the odds of getting killed by falling down a steep face while hunting. Or getting eaten by a bear. Or getting shot by a hunter. Or getting attacked by a mountain lion. Or...you get it.

But seriously, is there much risk in hiking in with 2-3 new unopened smart water bottles and refilling them 5-10 times with filtered fresh Rocky Mountain snow melt and disposing they at the end?

RyanCmns

WKR
I run a dirty water clean water bag 4L- 10L setup (depending on how dry it is) I drink alot of water so a nalgene is useless for me I also take a collapsible cup for flavored drinks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Floorguy

WKR
I use a 2 liter cnoc vecto bag for dirty water and use a Sawyer squeeze to fill smartwater bottles. I really like the cnoc bag wide opening like the platy big zip an then a screwtop for emptying/filtering.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Idahunt

FNG
What's your method for carrying the smartwater bottles? Pocket similar to a nalgene pocket?

I can't remember the last time I used a Nalgene. I reuse soda and water bottles unless I'm not gonna filter water for the day. Then I use a bladder.

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 3 liter bladder , a Befree filter and ditched the nalgene.
do you just fill your 3 liter with dirty water, and refill your befree as you empty it? I am contemplating this set up, with a 3 liter dirty bag in my pack, befree filter and bottle on my hip that I just refill as needed from the dirty bag, then take a .5 liter platypus bag for my drink mixes that I can fill from my Befree bottle/filter.
I have been running a bladder, with sawyer mini, and it takes a while to fill everything up. But I feel like I drink more water (which is probably a good thing in my case) than if I were to use a bottle, but that is because my bottle has been harder to get to, so I wont take the time to stop.
But as far as refilling all my water, the 3L dirty bag and katadyn seem to be the fastest solution, just dip in the creek, put the cap back on, and get back to hiking, with very minimal down time...

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 3 L bladder because I can fill it the night before and it will get me through a good part of the day. I may not fill the bladder completely up again During the day and can just add some when it’s convenient

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Going to try this system out while scouting this weekend, I like my water handy on my hip strap so I use a light weight carabiner and hang my water. Easy way to save 4.45oz and cheap way

8df65271b350f15d2b2318cbb68e3a6e.jpg

e6e6452d2a8ccbbfa40a7703aa0f028a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Going to try this system out while scouting this weekend, I like my water handy on my hip strap so I use a light weight carabiner and hang my water. Easy way to save 4.45oz and cheap way

8df65271b350f15d2b2318cbb68e3a6e.jpg

e6e6452d2a8ccbbfa40a7703aa0f028a.jpg

That doesn’t slosh around and make a bunch of noise?

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
That doesn’t slosh around and make a bunch of noise?

Not that I have noticed, Hunting pants are quiet so that helps I guess.

Floorguy

WKR
What's your method for carrying the smartwater bottles? Pocket similar to a nalgene pocket?
Here is a pic of how I carried them over the summer when I hiked Ressurection trail. The holders were @ $3 at Sportmans warehouse and I zip tied them to the shoulder strap webbing on the pack
553068cd8c2ce6df93b32448c935aec9.jpg

JoeDirt

WKR
Here is a pic of how I carried them over the summer when I hiked Ressurection trail. The holders were @ $3 at Sportmans warehouse and I zip tied them to the shoulder strap webbing on the pack
553068cd8c2ce6df93b32448c935aec9.jpg

Do you have a link to those holders? I tried to find them on Sportsman's website....

Floorguy

WKR
Do you have a link to those holders? I tried to find them on Sportsman's website....
Unfortunately I don't. If I see them again I will take a pic. Most sportsmans are set up the same so if you go in they should be on the side of the endcap that the water filters are on.

FlyGuy

WKR
I like having the oz measurements on my Nalgene bottle to measure out water for dehydrated meals, and most times I’m carrying TWO Nalgenes b/c I go through so much water. This year I’m looking to cut weight as much as possible as we have tags in a wilderness unit and are planning 2x 8 day stretches of progressive hunts, so camp on our backs a lot of the time. I am trading out my regular Nalgene with an ultralite version, and spent 10 minutes making this to replace the 2nd one.

b22bbcc4ea2cc19c32dcfcdde1adbdf7.jpg