Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

Jimss

WKR
Not much has been mentioned about the Katadyn BeFree bottles. I tried one out for the first time this summer and fall. When water is available through the day it's possible to fill the bottle directly from a water source and drink directly from the bottle (filter is attached to the lid). This saves having to lug around water all day. They come in both 1 (weighs 2 oz) and 3 (weighs 4 oz) and are super compact. Another great feature of the filter compared to others is the fast flow rate.

Here's a link with a good review:

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry at least one bottle with an attached lid. I or my partners have had too many issues over the years with holes in water bladders or lost lids. Also, if you need to melt snow for water it is a bit of a pain to fill up bottles that don’t have a wide mouth.

I ditched the nalgenes for cheap disposable bottles when I switched to the Sawyer filter. I have not had any problems with leaks, noise, or tastes. I might consider carrying a nalgene for a hot water bottle, but that would be it.

I also try to carry less than a pint if there is water around. I'll take two quart bottles, but never fill them. This year in the Sierra's there seems to be water almost everywhere. Three years it was a more risky calculus, and I was packing a gallon or more into some spots.

1GIG

FNG
I will have to try the Smart Water bottle route. Bladders do get annoying. I do like the option to have a bottle I can use to boil water with and the Heavy Cover canteen and cup has been worth the price if admission for this.

ChrisAU

WKR
Used smart water bottles all last week, they took a lot of abuse and never broke. Froze and thawed multiple times too ha.

Another bottle I use instead of the smart water is Fiji has a 1.5 liter bottle. I have use the same one for 3 years now. I ditchef nalgen a while ago due to the weight issue.

I use the Platypus 1 L soft bottles for the past 5 years.
Weight: 26 grams.
When empty just roll it up if you need to save space.

lorsonts

FNG
Had the pleasure of seeing a bunch of through hikers on their last leg of the CDT last year. Most of them were completing their Triple Crown, and averaging 20-30 miles per day, day after day.

The overwhelming majority of them were carrying smart water bottles or 1L Aquafina bottles with a standard Sawyer fixed atop... and most of those bottles had seen several states worth of walking.

I have an emotional connection to my Nalgene, but if fast, light, and reliable are your key factors, the Sawyer and Smart Water is a good combo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've ditched Nalgenes for lighter options in the "summer", but in the "winter" it's the only bottles I will use

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I was a huge, die-hard nalgene fanboy for years. How in the wold could I consider leaving it/them behind. After more research finally decided this past summer when did a portion of the PCT/JMT in the Sierras to ditch the nag ends and 3L bladder. Brought a 2L bladder (drink more often when I have one so worth it for me), and 2 smart water bottles. Never missed a nalgene—and the taller smart water bottle was so easy to get in/out of my pack, almost as easy as using bladder tube on my chest. Used the same two bottles on last years sheep hunt and they are ready for this hike season.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've ditched Nalgenes for lighter options in the "summer", but in the "winter" it's the only bottles I will use

a little closed cell foam and some gorilla tape makes them extra winter ready :)

smart bottles, Platypus, etc all have their place- they are certainly lighter than Nalgene's, but one frozen bottle at the opening and you'll never use one for winter again- don't completely ditch your old Nalgene's! :D

fpX25Ro.jpg

huntcoop

WKR
I was a huge, die-hard nalgene fanboy for years. How in the wold could I consider leaving it/them behind. After more research finally decided this past summer when did a portion of the PCT/JMT in the Sierras to ditch the nag ends and 3L bladder. Brought a 2L bladder (drink more often when I have one so worth it for me), and 2 smart water bottles. Never missed a nalgene—and the taller smart water bottle was so easy to get in/out of my pack, almost as easy as using bladder tube on my chest. Used the same two bottles on last years sheep hunt and they are ready for this hike season.

What are you using for a waistbelt hoder?

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
The Fiji bottle while square is a heavier plastic and will also fit nicely in water side pockets.

FLAK

WKR
Never carry Nalgene anymore. And honestly, I've given up on water filtration in
most cases. I should have already had Giardia a few times by now.