Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

My setup is a 4L platypus big zip dirty bladder, Sawyer squeeze in line with a quick connect, 3L platypus hydration bladder in my pack, and a 1L Smart water bottle.

I can leave the filter setup and smart water bottle in camp, and one trip to the creek will fill the bladder in my pack and the bottle. I drop a NUUN tablet in there and drink it with dinner. A bonus is this gives me redundancy, if either of my bladders happen to get a puncture I can still run my filter system, and I can carry an extra liter if I plan on spending all da up on a ridge.

ChrisAU

WKR
How much water do you guys leave camp with in the morning if you know water will be abundant in cold-cool temps? Since I’m ditching the bladder this year and going to bottles I’d like to dial that in. Wondering if 2L knowing I’ll find some more midday is enough or if I should do 3L to be safe? Last year I normally left camp with a full 1L in my nalgene and around 2L in my bladder, and that got my by the whole day without replenishing at stream crossings, but I probably didnt hydrate enough either.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I carry two liters and top off at every opportunity, whether I’m empty or not.

If I’m spiking out I’ll carry a 4L drom bag (empty) and fill that up (+aquamira) just before pitching for the night to get me started the next morning.

ChrisAU

WKR
I carry two liters and top off at every opportunity, whether I’m empty or not.

If I’m spiking out I’ll carry a 4L drom bag (empty) and fill that up (+aquamira) just before pitching for the night to get me started the next morning.

The more I think about it the more carrying more than 2L in my scenario sounds dumb. Plus I could store up to 3L of dirty water and carry it in my dirty water bag for filtering later after filling my bottles up with filtered water at a water source.

Smart water bottles work great and don't crinkle. I use them all the time and keep them forever - I have never broken one. Gatorade bottles are sturdier and have a wide mouth. Both come with a free drink.

Nalgenes have their place as sturdy bottles for everyday use, and I use them for winter camping as well. But I think for most backpacking and hiking purposes there's not much of a point to them.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I genuinely would feel naked without my nalgene but a ton of great points being made here as it relates to weight. Huge benefit of the traditional nalgene is the ability to use it like you would a foam roller and roll out those legs at night....just don't leave it full in freezing temps for too long.

Ditched my Nalgene last year and switched to Smartwater bottles. There are a couple off brands that I use too. I think Walmart has one. The thread pitch is the same as smartwater so the Sawyer works with them. The Smartwater seems to fit better in the side pouches of all my bags too.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a no go on the Nalgene bottle. Ditching it for a gatorade bottle is an easy way to save a couple ounces. My primary water carrier is a bladder and a 20 Oz gatorade bottle.

chindits

WKR
I haven’t used nalgene or bladders for years. Subzero and they are a pita to keep from freezing and I’ve had more than 1 camelbak leak on me. I’ve been using 2L hydrapak flexible canteens. I fill two of them half full and put them inside my jacket upside down to keep from freezing. They are flexible and conform to your body shape so no bulk. They are great hot water bottles at night. When I’m bow hunting I squeeze the air out so no sloshing noise. If I’m at a dry camp, I just fill both 2L bottles an the way back to camp. Since I use aquamira drops it’s quick and easy. That’s about a gallon of water which is plenty for supper, breakfast and the morning hunt when I come across more water. I don’t really see any rigid bottle that can do all that and their empty weight is just over 2 1/2 oz. image.jpg

JohnB

WKR
I use a Smartwater bottle for my Sawyer squeeze and either drink out of that, or filter into a widemouth Gatorade bottle. The plastic bottles are an easy way to save a couple ounces over the Nalgene, plus when coupled with the light filter I end up ~10-12 oz lighter.

RLGrats

FNG
Gatorade bottles here, wider mouth is easy to add powders to compared to other OTC water bottles, a bit more robust but not as heavy as Nalgene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still using a mix of nalgenes: 32 oz widemouth, 48 oz widemouth, and the flatter oasis style.

Indestructible is a great quality for something carrying a necessity like water.

Tried using the capcap but it was one more seal to fail (and it did leak occassinaly), and one more piece to clean. Just don't tip it back so hard when using the wide-mouth and you'll be just fine!