Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

I upped the ante with my nalgene and went up to the 48oz ultralight version. Only weighs about an oz. more I think than the 32oz Having run out of water once or TV twice I actually carry more water than I used to, at least on pack in week long stuff. Up high in both CO and AK depending on the waterfall that year, a creek on a map may or may not be there. I usually also bring 32 oz bottle of Gatorade that gets drank on the pack in and then becomes a second water bottle I've never lost a Gatorade bottle lid, nor cracked one in the cold yet, but could see the potential and that would suck pretty but if that's all I had.

Newton22

FNG
Sometimes I just run around with two 32 oz pouches with my mini sawyer, and other times just one. I never really worry about them getting punctured, though it has happened. The back up plan then would be jetboil or camp pot.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I ditched the bladder and now use a 1-1/2 liter smart water in a camelbak bottle holder.
Same setup I use, and that Camelbak holder fits over the waist belt on my EXO so the bottle is easy to reach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The single use bottles crinkle and make noise.
You can also wad them up, put the cap back on and store them til you unwad them and refill them. Way lighter than a bladder and much more useful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I carry one Nalgene and two empty powerade 32 oz bottles. Have rigged up my old Katadyn water filter with a cap with hole drilled in it (and tube taped in it) for water filtration. looking for superlight stainless steel large capacity bottle.

This is my "won't leave the house without it" item. It weighs 8.3 oz.(just weighed it on a letter scale) it's insulated (as good as a yeti), leakproof with a security latch if your worried, has a cup-shaped mouth and an ingenious vent that prevents the glug-gurgle and makes it feel like your drinking from a cup. It has a tough, grippy, pleasing finish. It even has a quiet, nonslip rubber bottom. It is nearly priceless to have a hot drink that stays hot for hours on those cold morning. It serves as nalgene, blender bottle, and hot drink bottle on my backpacking trips. My only other liquid container is my bladder.
It also gets used heavily in the off season for coffee at work (tree service or barn construction), energy drinks on road trips, and whatever I feel like drinking while flying.
I have not come across any other water bottle that is this nice to drink from, can hold ice for days or keep something hot all day, leakproof and lockable but easy to open with one hand, and fits in every cupholder while still being light and streamlined.

17oz/500ml MICROLITE
4102f9ec081ba30052c56317f1521106.jpg
1cd50bc4a516f4e35076818da908f360.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
I just picked one of these. It will be my daily driver for work and play Thanks for spending my money hahaha
This is my "won't leave the house without it" item. It weighs 8.3 oz.(just weighed it on a letter scale) it's insulated (as good as a yeti), leakproof with a security latch if your worried, has a cup-shaped mouth and an ingenious vent that prevents the glug-gurgle and makes it feel like your drinking from a cup. It has a tough, grippy, pleasing finish. It even has a quiet, nonslip rubber bottom. It is nearly priceless to have a hot drink that stays hot for hours on those cold morning. It serves as nalgene, blender bottle, and hot drink bottle on my backpacking trips. My only other liquid container is my bladder.
It also gets used heavily in the off season for coffee at work (tree service or barn construction), energy drinks on road trips, and whatever I feel like drinking while flying.
I have not come across any other water bottle that is this nice to drink from, can hold ice for days or keep something hot all day, leakproof and lockable but easy to open with one hand, and fits in every cupholder while still being light and streamlined.

17oz/500ml MICROLITE
4102f9ec081ba30052c56317f1521106.jpg
1cd50bc4a516f4e35076818da908f360.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
Ive run a 3 liter bladder and a Nalgene in my pack. In new mexico, water can be hard to come by, and its obviously heavy to carry. I don't always keep the 3L and Nalgene full. Whats nice about the Nalgene is that you know how much water you have left. The bladders can sneak up on ya and you run out of water sometimes. I use the 3L to store water primarily, and drink from the Nalgene. The Nalgene is also used to mix powered drink mixes and to measure water for Mtn House meals, etc. So now I have a question about the smart water bottles:

Can you put hot water in them ,and put the cap on tight and have them not leak if you were to use one at the foot of your sleeping bag? For late fall and early winter trips, being able to stash the Nalgene at the foot of my sleeping bag is a big deal for added comfort. I put the Nalgene into an ultralight dry bag just in case, but its not leaked on me yet. Can the same thing be done with the Smart Bottles? IF so, I may have to try one of those in place of my Nalgene and save the 4 plus ounces.

AKMoose

WKR
What have you guys found to be the most durable 'lightweight' bladders? I've had lost of the ones that came with my sawer bottle fail on me (small holes)

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
I've ditched the Nalgene and carry a Smart Water bottle or bladder. I've had two Nalgenes shatter on me. Granted it was because I dropped them on rocks while they were full...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the older style Nalgenes (cloudy white/blue top) are lighter than the newer style ones and I think you’d be hard pressed to shatter one of those

Platypus’s are tough to beat for the weight, I have some that are probably close to 20 years old and still going

BUT I won’t use anything but wide mouth Nalgenes in the winter, freeze a narrow mouth bottle and you’ll agree :)

Trial153

WKR
I been using the vapur i bought. Works well. That said still feel like there are possible failure points to it that make me worry. A wide mouth nalgene bottle is really idiot proof and user friendly.

WCB

WKR
Never used one and never will. For just a day hunt from the truck I have small bladder and I'll take a couple of the Camelbak quick flasks (mini bladders with a nozzle). If I'm out longer I use larger bladder. IMO bottles are loud and I have to store them somewhere. I have enough crap on the outside of my pack and I don't want to have to take my pack off for a drink. Also, knowing me its just one more thing to forget.

Planning to ditch the nalgene this year.

setup I’m planning to run:
-MSR Dromlite 4L clean/camp bag
-Cnoc outdoors vecto 3L dirty bag
-Sawyer mini
-Hydrapak Seeker 2L collapsible canteen

excited to see how it goes.