Who has ditched the trusted Nalgene bottle?

Disclaimer:
Have not received or used the CNOC Vecto dirty bladder yet. So i am not endorsing it by any means. However, anyone looking for a dirty bag for a Sawyer system might want to take a look. potentially pretty slick setup, wide mouth, light, pour spout threaded to fit Sawyer.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Never used one and never will. For just a day hunt from the truck I have small bladder and I'll take a couple of the Camelbak quick flasks (mini bladders with a nozzle). If I'm out longer I use larger bladder. IMO bottles are loud and I have to store them somewhere. I have enough crap on the outside of my pack and I don't want to have to take my pack off for a drink. Also, knowing me its just one more thing to forget.
You've obviously never had a bladder fail on you. A hip belt pouch with a bottle is a helluva lot easier to drink out of than a bladder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
You've obviously never had a bladder fail on you. A hip belt pouch with a bottle is a helluva lot easier to drink out of than a bladder.

Ive had the tubes freeze before...and once pulled off the nozzle...crap happens. Last thing I need is another thing hangin off my packs hip belt...already have a knife, first aid pouch, and a pouch for misc (windchecker, compass, gps, phone, etc). Drinkin out of a bladdet is like drinkin out of a straw. How hard is that?

Source Tactical 3L but don't fill it all the way unless water will be unavailable due to the weight, Sawyer squeeze, smart water bottle and 1 Nalgene. Trying to cover all bases without adding too much weight.

Skull10

WKR
Disclaimer:
Have not received or used the CNOC Vecto dirty bladder yet. So i am not endorsing it by any means. However, anyone looking for a dirty bag for a Sawyer system might want to take a look. potentially pretty slick setup, wide mouth, light, pour spout threaded to fit Sawyer.
I use the CNOC Vecto for dirty bags in place of the sawyer ones. Best upgrade I have made. Very strong, light and easy to fill.

I am wondering who has completely ditched the Nalgene bottle? I always take one and a water bladder but I weighed the Nalgene and it was 6.5oz. I didn’t realize they were that heavy. I also weighed a smart water bottle which seems like a heavy duty bottle. But I do enjoy the wide opening on the Nalgene for gathering water
9f3bc447d37b4154ab6c687e15c84d0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never ditch the Nalgene.

After reading this thread I'm definitely gonna try the smart bottles or lighter nalgenes. I run a steripen and like the wide opening of the nalgene for stirring and also collecting water from seeps. I use a bandana to filter the chunks. The purified water goes into a 3l bladder I leave at camp.

After reading this thread I'm definitely gonna try the smart bottles or lighter nalgenes. I run a steripen and like the wide opening of the nalgene for stirring and also collecting water from seeps. I use a bandana to filter the chunks. The purified water goes into a 3l bladder I leave at camp.

I used the steripen for a long while but switched this year to the sawyers filter and think it’s much better. Lighter weight and does a great job filtering and the price can’t be beat. It also caused me to go with 2 smart water bottles instead of the nalgene and the weight savings is enough to recommend it. Minus one steripen and nalgene and plus one sayers and two smart water bottles... one clean and one dirty. The pen works great but now I don’t need the weight, extra batteries or even worry about it breaking in the middle of a hike.

Beanyray

FNG
I prefer drinking from a nalgene but I had a bottle slide out of my pack last year while I was still hunting. Of course I didn’t notice it until I was miles away from that spot and thirsty. I went back to that spot a few days later and found it where I’d been sitting. So I’ll probably ditch it and just rely on the bladder.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I prefer drinking from a nalgene but I had a bottle slide out of my pack last year while I was still hunting. Of course I didn’t notice it until I was miles away from that spot and thirsty. I went back to that spot a few days later and found it where I’d been sitting. So I’ll probably ditch it and just rely on the bladder.

Was that your only water you had on you? I always have a backup water source on me at all times for that very reason.

Sawyer straw to filter and a smart water bottle to carry it around. I’ll bring 2 of the 32 oz sawyer bags to bring water back to camp also.

Blaw

WKR
i swapped out the Nalgene for the sawyer and smart water bottle

EXCEPT! I find if the water bottle is on its side with factory lid it has a slow leak....anyone else experience this?

One 32oz smart water bottle because it fits in the belt pouch, and I prefer drinking from it, but always have a few platypus bottles to fill up in times when water might be scarce for a few days.

tdot

WKR
During the last couple of years and then the course of this thread I've flip flopped on the Nalgene a couple of time. It seems like all of the options I've tried work (Smart Water, Gatorade, bladders, HDPE Nalgene), but none are perfect. I feel like a Smart Water bottle with a Gatorade sized wide mouth would be awesome. I prefer the skinnier bottles to the Nalgen

Last edited:

Bulldawg

WKR
Haha, I can’t believe that people say a Nalgene is too heavy? For reals? I have ditched it every now and then though, for a 36 oz yeti bottle, that suckers probably a pound or so. When it’s below freezing it’s nice to not have my water freeze though. I also carry a 10 liter bladder for camp water.