Who has done Fly-In & Haul Road hunts?

Hplayer13

FNG
For those who have done a fly-in hunt like out of Kotzebue, as well as a haul road hunt, I’m trying to decide which way to go. My dad can only hunt with a rifle, so if we do haul road region it would be by airboat (Deadhorse) or rent a vehicle and fly in by plane (Arrowhead). Don’t have the option to use any machines to get past archery only. Nervous about the subsistence bill passing and booking out of Kotzibue which is my much preferred hunt. Would love the overall experience much more. But nervous about not getting a deposit back if it passes or not getting a booking and missing an option to book for haul road. Any advice?

Edit: after a few responses I changed my post a little

Last edited:

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
Kotzebue is no where near “isolated from hunting pressure”. Hopefully you’ll get IM’s on your post instead of posting information to a public forum. I imagine the issues you’re having with transporters has a lot to do with the overwhelming amount of information that festers on Rokslide regarding Kotzebue. Once the Noatak gets shutdown to non-locals maybe the next area people flood to will not be posted all over public forums. Best advice for you is to look over the Alaska regulations and call area biologists and leave social media out of it. It’ll be more rewarding for you in the long run and hopefully the area you choose will be free from pressure from other hunters. Good luck with your future trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
Wanting a 2024 fly in DIY hunt that is isolated from hunting pressure, similar to what many experience through Kotzebue. After reviews I won’t go with AA, Ram and GE won’t return emails or calls to book so I’m afraid I may be ignored for previous customers and not get a booking. What other town could I fly into through Alaska Air and have a transporter take me from there?
Jared from GE is a good dude. You have plenty of time to get ahold of him. I flew with GE this season and comms is slow.

VernAK

WKR
GE is top notch! It's a very nasty winter and they are probably enjoying sun somewhere if not rebuilding aircraft.

The demand for these hunts is tremendous especially those in isolated areas.

I've got a trip booked up there this fall and am looking forward to it.

However...

In hindsight, I wish we had done some more research and booked elsewhere. I'm tired of worrying about drama with the prospective closures and such. At this point, I would happily invest more in a hassle free environment. I would encourage anyone else to consider all of their options.

jhm2023

WKR
Flying out of Happy Valley (on the haul road) about an hour to hour and a half by super cub to the east to hunt the Porcupine herd is a good hunt. Saw a lot of big bulls last time I was in that area. Weather can be fun though.

palefty45

FNG
I would agree with LongWayAround. We are booked with GE last week in Aug and this whole closure issue has been a real bummer. Now only months away we are having to make tough decision on what we are going to do.