Who has moved UP in caliber for elk

WKR
Using 140 Berger vlds in 6.5-47 up to 6.5-284. I do not need more on elk, black bears, mule deer. Impact velocity at 1800 fps or more and critters pile up. Busting shoulders, slipping through ribs, it doesn't matter.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I remember a thread either here or on another hunting forum with some photo comparisons of the damage done by 6.5 143 eld-x bullets vs .30 178 eld-x bullets. I can’t find it now but I recall that there was often a significant difference. I may be misremembering.

Seems like the issue is not whether a 30 caliber bullet does more damage, but whether the 6.5 (and similar) bullets do enough. I think it’s been proven countless times in the field that they do, for deer, elk, moose, etc.

wyosam

WKR
I’d be curious to know how the 7-08ai performs or what you are hoping to get out of it. I’ve had an itch to build one, just haven’t done it yet.

I expect a small bump in velocity to gain some of what I lose with the 18” barrel. It is mostly about my preference for steep shoulders, and desire for less vanilla though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmperorMA

WKR
Using 140 Berger vlds in 6.5-47 up to 6.5-284. I do not need more on elk, black bears, mule deer. Impact velocity at 1800 fps or more and critters pile up. Busting shoulders, slipping through ribs, it doesn't matter.
Which actual version of a 140 Berger?

barrister

WKR
I don't have tons of elk experience, but 30-06 with 180 grain Barnes bullets did a great job on my bull elk at 510 yards. It went about 30 yards and died. The shot was mostly broadside and on target in the vitals. I had considered moving up, but glad I didn't. I am of the opinion that I will use this rifle/ammo combination for all of my hunting from antelope to elk.

So because they “were well within their expansion velocities” monos and lead core bullets create the same wounds?

Is that what I said?????

Here let me answer it for you. No.
I’ve seen good and poor shots with both mono bullets and lead core bullets of multiple calibers and from my experience the larger calibers perform better in both situations. If you like your 6.5 manbun creedmore with 140 grain Berger’s that’s good for you, but if elk are on the table at longer distances I personally am going to move up in caliber and powder capacity. If the recoil of the larger gun isn’t detrimental to your accuracy why shoot the smaller gun? Before everyone jumps on the then just use a howitzer bandwagon that’s not what I’m saying, I just personally don’t see a 6.5 as a “long range” caliber. I will now jump off my soapbox.

OP
C
Really interesting discussion. I stepped down to a 6.5 creedmoor from a 30-06 because the internet told me to and I struggled with the recoil. Turns out that a 6.5 creed recoils as well, and I still had to learn recoil management. My creed has done some good work on whitetails.

Now I might be making a move in my future to a place with more elk and even moose opportunities, and I am thinking a 30-06 might be worth having around again now that I’m more confident shooting.

Not wanting to start a caliber battle - there are plenty of those to read already - but i was interested to see if anyone else had followed a similar path to mine.

Spoonbill

WKR
My elk this season ate 3 200 gr Federal Terminal Ascents from 760, 704, and 700 yards........he was tough..glad I was shooting a Win Mag.
Were all three shots in the vitals and if so did the bullet not expand? Not asking to be a smartass, just genuinely curious on how the terminal ascent bullets perform since they are a new design.

LaGriz

WKR
Find that I'm moving up in caliber,
My previous go to model 700 Mt. Rifle rifle is still very much in good standing. The .280 with a 160 gr. load never failed me. I just wanted more punch in a format that did not include excessive recoil. The .280 Rem now has competition for my attention. Killed my last elk with a re-bored 338-06 (a pre-64 M-70 classic) hurling a 200 gr. AccuBond load at 2800 fps. I also have been rocking a .358 Win for heavy woods deer. This gorgeous 1955 manufactured Winchester M-70 Featherweight, is now shooting tight groups with a 200 gr. TTSX load, and is dream to carry. If I get an opportunity to hunt timbered elk. I will be tormented to leave it behind or reduce it to a back up role.

These three rifles seem to represent the limit of my recoil tolerance. I don't like muzzle brakes. Or rather I dislike using ear protection while hunting. Only accurate rifles are interesting, and this trio meets that burden. Best groups have been with the .280 Rem with a sweet 3X9X42 Kahles, a long time ago. My eyesight was better then, and the round count must now be near 500-600.

The two big bores are no slouches either. The M-70 338-06 is sporting a 2X7X36 Kahles (great glass) mounted low that seems to fit it perfectly. I have owned this for the least amount of time and have only killed one cow elk. She got very dead quickly (DRT).

Meanwhile, the .358 featherweight (my Jewel) is rocking a 1.75X6X32mm Leica with a 30MM tube. On the low power setting (exit pupil near 6) you can nearly see in moonlight. While at the max 6 power, I can comfortably shoot out to 300 yards. The short barreled 358 is a hammer. Accurate if not precise and deadly at is intended ranges. I would be less likely to carry it in broken cover out west where a long shot might be common. . One of the other 2 would get the nod in that case unless the visibility was drastically limited by fog or driving snow. Tracking a bull in the snow I would not feel under-gunned. Back in the day, Elmer Keith loved this caliber an preferred it to 30-06 for elk.

LaGriz

Spoonbill

WKR
Find that I'm moving up in caliber,
My previous go to model 700 Mt. Rifle rifle is still very much in good standing. The .280 with a 160 gr. load never failed me. I just wanted more punch in a format that did not include excessive recoil. The .280 Rem now has competition for my attention. Killed my last elk with a re-bored 338-06 (a pre-64 M-70 classic) hurling a 200 gr. AccuBond load at 2800 fps. I also have been rocking a .358 Win for heavy woods deer. This gorgeous 1955 manufactured Winchester M-70 Featherweight, is now shooting tight groups with a 200 gr. TTSX load, and is dream to carry. If I get an opportunity to hunt timbered elk. I will be tormented to leave it behind or reduce it to a back up role.

These three rifles seem to represent the limit of my recoil tolerance. I don't like muzzle brakes. Or rather I dislike using ear protection while hunting. Only accurate rifles are interesting, and this trio meets that burden. Best groups have been with the .280 Rem with a sweet 3X9X42 Kahles, a long time ago. My eyesight was better then, and the round count must now be near 500-600.

The two big bores are no slouches either. The M-70 338-06 is sporting a 2X7X36 Kahles (great glass) mounted low that seems to fit it perfectly. I have owned this for the least amount of time and have only killed one cow elk. She got very dead quickly (DRT).

Meanwhile, the .358 featherweight (my Jewel) is rocking a 1.75X6X32mm Leica with a 30MM tube. On the low power setting (exit pupil near 6) you can nearly see in moonlight. While at the max 6 power, I can comfortably shoot out to 300 yards. The short barreled 358 is a hammer. Accurate if not precise and deadly at is intended ranges. I would be less likely to carry it in broken cover out west where a long shot might be common. . One of the other 2 would get the nod in that case unless the visibility was drastically limited by fog or driving snow. Tracking a bull in the snow I would not feel under-gunned. Back in the day, Elmer Keith loved this caliber an preferred it to 30-06 for elk.

LaGriz
Damn LaGriz, you got a nice collection of rifles. 338-06 is an interesting caliber, too bad it never caught on commercially.

If you like your 6.5 manbun creedmore with 140 grain Berger’s that’s good for you, but if elk are on the table at longer distances I personally am going to move up in caliber and powder capacity. If the recoil of the larger gun isn’t detrimental to your accuracy why shoot the smaller gun? Before everyone jumps on the then just use a howitzer bandwagon that’s not what I’m saying, I just personally don’t see a 6.5 as a “long range” caliber. I will now jump off my soapbox.
Well said
I killed a bull at long range with a 6.5 and I'll never do it again, it was a perfect lung shot, and if the bullet didn't tumble up into the spine I'd have lost him.
The internal damage was pathetic and he was alive but immobile when I found him.
I've since shot two bulls beyond 700 yards with heavy 30s and they just pile up.

Were all three shots in the vitals and if so did the bullet not expand? Not asking to be a smartass, just genuinely curious on how the terminal ascent bullets perform since they are a new design.

All three landed in the vital zone. I wasn't impressed with the damage. Having said that, its a sample of one animal.

204guy

WKR
Well said
I killed a bull at long range with a 6.5 and I'll never do it again, it was a perfect lung shot, and if the bullet didn't tumble up into the spine I'd have lost him.
The internal damage was pathetic and he was alive but immobile when I found him.
I've since shot two bulls beyond 700 yards with heavy 30s and they just pile up.
What bullets? What impact velocity? There's nothing to be learned about vague generalities when bullet construction and impact velocities are the 2 variables that are most important.

Last edited: