Who has the best frame?

Currently i am looking at exo and Mystery Ranch frames. Once i get most of my gear figured out i will sort out the bag situation.
But right now what i want to know, from those of you who use the systems, who makes the most durable, comfortable frame.
I will be using it as a training pack, 3-5 day trips, and as a dedicated meat hauler on day hunting trips(120+lb loads do happen).
I am also open to other options, these are just the two i have been looking at so far.

twall13

WKR
This is kind of a loaded question... A comfortable frame depends a lot on body shape, torso length, etc. I don't have any Mystery Ranch experience but from what I've heard their packs are really well built and durable, but it is going to weigh significantly more than the Exo. The Exo will handle weight well, and also moves with you more in daypack mode under lesser loads which is nice when you are moving around brush and timber. If I wanted a pack mostly for training and beating around I'd probably look at the Kifaru Tactical frames, but that's just my take. That will be a comfortable frame under heavy loads, though there are other options that will probably be more comfortable and less stiff when the loads are more like 40 lbs. Stone Glacier and Seek Outside are another couple of good options, though they focus a bit more on lighter weight frames and bags.

Last edited:
Another “best” thread. These always get intresting. Tha sad thing is that the best is different for everyone. Its hard to try many of these packs since they are expensive and most are direct sales so trying them can be hard. The only ones I have tried are Kifaru. I have a tactical frame and a lite frame and both are very comfortable but they are als the only ones i have tried. The people on this site are pretty helpfull. Maybe if you post where you are located some Roksliders will let you try on their packs

OP
D
I know the “what——— is best” threads get tiresome and are totally subjective, and even though their are tons of reviews on basically every pack ever made, i kinda take sponsered reviews with a grain of salt. Also few to none actually seem to talk much about the frame, and that, for me is probably the most important thing since my ego seems to out do my common sense when i am loading up to pack out.( apparently my ego thinks i am still 20) as far as bags go, i am not to concerned with features and what not, as long as i can cram all my crap in it, it’s fine. my location is in my FNG introduction, The Dalles, oregon. If some members would be willing to do that, that would be so awesome!!

Another “best” thread. These always get intresting. Tha sad thing is that the best is different for everyone. Its hard to try many of these packs since they are expensive and most are direct sales so trying them can be hard. The only ones I have tried are Kifaru. I have a tactical frame and a lite frame and both are very comfortable but they are als the only ones i have tried. The people on this site are pretty helpfull. Maybe if you post where you are located some Roksliders will let you try on their packs

twall13

WKR
Do you know your torso length and back profile (flat or curved, etc.)? That could make a difference in the comfort between different packs and might help narrow down what would work better for you.

bhowren

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you, I would list your own measurements- height, weight, torso length (Very important) and try to get responses from those with similar builds. Type of back shape makes a huge difference too- flat vs. curved. If you can find out what works best for these people it will help immensely! Especially if you can't try them all with weight on your own.

OP
D
I would guess i have a curved back shape? I am pretty thick through the chest, shoulders and back. Torso is 19-20, measured myself so not exact.
I am 5’10” and 215-220. I tried Mystery Ranch packs on at a place in the big city, i was a large belt and large yoke, not sure if that is helpful or not.
I will try to figure out my torso length and update.

If I were you, I would list your own measurements- height, weight, torso length (Very important) and try to get responses from those with similar builds. Type of back shape makes a huge difference too- flat vs. curved. If you can find out what works best for these people it will help immensely! Especially if you can't try them all with weight on your own.

Last edited:
Here’s a good video from Kifaru that shows you the different stay options and how to determine which type of stays you will need.

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
The more and more i read the more and more i keep coming back to MR and Exo. Both seem to be more than capable of meeting my needs, and it looks like it is going to come down to what is going to fit me best and which company offers the best support for their products.
I have not come across one negative thing about Exo, and MR seems to be a bit of hit and miss when it comes to customer service.
I can figure out the fit for myself since i can go try MR packs on at a store, and Exo has a great 30 day no questions asked policy specifically for this purpose .
So basically now my question has become, has anyone had any sort of negative or exceptional experience with either company.

Brendan

WKR
Aren't the newer MR packs made in Asia? Pretty sure they changed some of their production to go more mass market... This is probably only certain packs as opposed to all of them though..

I would be including Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside in the discussion as well.

I have MR packs for work and play and can tell you their customer service has been excellent for me. It doesn't seem to matter if it was a Philippines made pack or one of their us ones, they stand behind them.

Aren't the newer MR packs made in Asia? Pretty sure they changed some of their production to go more mass market... This is probably only certain packs as opposed to all of them though..

I would be including Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside in the discussion as well.

Yea their fire and mil packs (and a limited run of some mountaineering packs) are usa made yet but a majority of the civilian packs have moved over seas. Arguably their two biggest clients are the military and wildland community and (as I understand it) in order to be able to offer exceptional quality packs for everyone something had to give. I think of it similar to kuiu moving clothing over seas in order to meet demand, doesn't neccessarily mean that quality took a hit.... just is what it is.

I’m another one saying MR should be your first look. The guideligjt is awesome.

MattB

WKR
For me, Kifaru is hands down the most comfortable (best hip belt in the business IMO, and many express the same sentiment) and certainly up to the task of carrying any load I put in it.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I have had Badlands, Exo, Mystery ranch, Gregory, Osprey, Kifaru and some others. In my opinion the Kifaru is the one I settled on. There were things i liked and disliked about all the packs. The kifaru has been the best for my all around go to pack. I use it for everything from day hikes, weight training, multi day pack trips, fishing and many more. It is super comfortable and it doesn't give me any hot spots. I have the DT2 and it suits all my needs but they have a ton to choose from that all fit on the same frame. That's my two cents.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Had exo as my first pack , switched to kifaru after that hunt, haven't thought about switching to anything else since but I also haven't used anything else besides those two. Take that for what its worth.

Mudd Foot

WKR
For me, Kifaru is hands down the most comfortable (best hip belt in the business IMO, and many express the same sentiment) and certainly up to the task of carrying any load I put in it.

Ditto. Kifaru's structurally rigid frames support heavy loads the most comfortably in my experience.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I'd certainly try as many packs as you can. I bought a number of packs to try and didn't end up keeping the brand that I thought I would. Point being try as many as you can, while most of these high end packs will carry a decent load comfortably, when you really pile on the weight it may surprise you which one is the most comfortable for you.

I have used them all in duplicate. The two most comfortable I have ever used are SG X-Curve and Seek Outside Revolution. Buy the two you are contemplating and keep the one that fits and carries best. The $25 return fee of the other one will be the best $ you can spend when choosing a pack!

NoWiser

WKR
If you have more ego than brains when it comes to hauling heavy loads, you should look seriously at Kifaru. I have had a Kifaru and Stone Glacier and prefer the Stone Glacier for hunting so I sold the Kifaru. But, if carrying heavy weight comfortably trumped all else, the Kifaru is absolutely what I'd have right now.