Who hunts in tennis shoes??

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I wear size 12 in everything and after trying a pair on in person I went with 12.5. Someone earlier mentioned to size up and I agree!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What do you guys think of the CS version? Or are you going with the standard speedcross.

Standard version. The CS version has climashield insulation which is just more material to soak up water and make the shoes heavier when wet. If its cold enough to need CS version of the shoes, its cold enough for me to want to switch to boots instead of shoes ;)

TheJuice

WKR
I see. Thanks Luke. I guess I was thinking that it was not as porous as far as letting sand, dirt, ext in. Not thinking it was a whole lot of extra material. I don't have a local distributor that carries both.

For ankle support inquiries couldn't you use one of those lace up ankle supports? Just a thought.

shawnjon

FNG
Not sure if anyone has seen it yet but, the Salomon Forces line is pretty nice and they finally came out with a non-GTX mid boot. Which I have wanted from them for a couple years now.

Will_m

WKR
I do most of my turkey hunting in a pair of tennis shoes. Can't imagine doing any mountain trips in them though.

TheJuice

WKR
I hunted Montana this Sept in a pair of Speedcross with OR Gaiters and really liked it. When they did get soaked albiet a stream crossing or heavy morning dew, they and my socks were dry within a few hours or every morning at least. Took them up through the rocks and over the dead fall. I could tell a difference in my stamina not having on a heavy pair of boots.

I did, however, keep my Lowas back at the truck if I needed to pack out more than one trip, but for just hunting without a super heavy load I was not concerned with ankle support.

One word of caution though. I've been wearing them around town since they are so comfortable, and the tread will not last long.

My two cents.

Felix40

WKR
Figured I would bump this back to the top since I have been going through the boot/shoe dilemma the last few weeks. I actually hunted in converses 3 years ago (enjoyed it for the most part) because I was saving money for good boots. Bought a pair of Lowas and was very happy with them except that after just a couple months they were always leaking. Well Ive been wearing the crap out of the Lowas for a little over two years and they are pretty well shot. I have been reading everything I can on the subject and decided to go with a light non gtx hiker/trail runner. I must have tried on 20 different shoes yesterday. Finally settled on these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PRRAWLS/ref=twister_B00VYYY9SA. The speed crosses were what I wanted going in but they just seemed like they would fall apart.

I will most likely be wearing these on an Auodad hunt at the end of the month. Hopefully I can put them to work packing some decent weight.

Figured I would bump this back to the top since I have been going through the boot/shoe dilemma the last few weeks. I actually hunted in converses 3 years ago (enjoyed it for the most part) because I was saving money for good boots. Bought a pair of Lowas and was very happy with them except that after just a couple months they were always leaking. Well Ive been wearing the crap out of the Lowas for a little over two years and they are pretty well shot. I have been reading everything I can on the subject and decided to go with a light non gtx hiker/trail runner. I must have tried on 20 different shoes yesterday. Finally settled on these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PRRAWLS/ref=twister_B00VYYY9SA. The speed crosses were what I wanted going in but they just seemed like they would fall apart.

I will most likely be wearing these on an Auodad hunt at the end of the month. Hopefully I can put them to work packing some decent weight.

Would love to hear your impressions after that hunt...

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I still love my Altra Lone Peaks and Altra Superiors. I have a variety of gaiters that I wear with them depending on conditions and waterproof socks inside of them if needed.

Salix

FNG
This was a great thead that I read late last summer prior to my elk hunt. It was wet this year with rain most days. After two days of heavy wet boots I went to the running shoes. Lightness on the feet was great, once wet they dried out fairly quickly after the rain stopped. Only down side was that dirt and small twigs/ thorns worked its way into the shoe from the mesh above the toes. They were a basic Asics runner.
I've been looking into a trail runner, something like the speed cross for this year. There are days the leather boots are nice but to have the option to give the feet a break would be good.

I would like a shoe that's light weight but doesn't have mess on the top that dirt can come thru?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a great thead that I read late last summer prior to my elk hunt. It was wet this year with rain most days. After two days of heavy wet boots I went to the running shoes. Lightness on the feet was great, once wet they dried out fairly quickly after the rain stopped. Only down side was that dirt and small twigs/ thorns worked its way into the shoe from the mesh above the toes. They were a basic Asics runner.
I've been looking into a trail runner, something like the speed cross for this year. There are days the leather boots are nice but to have the option to give the feet a break would be good.

I wear the speed cross for most of my summer hiking and Packrafting trips. A small pair of lightweight trail gators makes a big difference when it comes to keeping debris out. They make me feel a little like a circus clown, but the utility is more important than the aesthetics IMO :)