Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I carry around a 13lbs savage 12 FV in 22-250 for Javelina and coyotes, and my mountain rifle is a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM weighing in at just a hair under 10lbs. Both rifles are so budget friendly and built to be tossed around and scratched.
1679411818988.png
1679411789241.png

Having Ty Shaw at Flatline Precision put together an 11.3-.5lb scoped rifle build as we speak. 300 Norma Mag Improved

BAT vesper action - 26oz
26" Benchmark Med Palma - 68oz
Salmon River SS 4 port brake - 2oz
TS Customs Adjustable KS1 Stock - 42oz
Hawking M5 bottom Metal - 4oz
Hawkings Lapua Hunter Mag - 4oz
Trigger Tech Special - 2oz
ARC M10 rings - 5oz
March FX 4.5-28X52 non illuminated - 28oz

Barreled action with brake weighed in at exactly 6lbs. The rest are all really close estimates.
Did you end up running those M10 rings or switch to the seekins?

I have 6-7 sets of the ARC M10 rings and have always loved them. They got re-designed to the M-Brace design now and I have a set of those as well.
Copy that, thank you! I haven’t found a ton of feedback on them but what I’ve read has all been great.

manitou1

WKR
I'll be 63 in a month.
Both my go-to rifles are a tad over 10 lbs.
Why? Because they shoot very well and I spend months on end scouting and hunting for a split second shot. It better count.

I can always lose a couple of pounds if it bothers me!

Are light guns nice to carry? Yup. But I do feel the heavier guns shoot much better and allow you to see the shot easier. I like the adjustable LOP and comb and a stock with a flat bottom.

One thing is that today's quality long range rifle scopes are pretty heavy. If you want a durable, reliable dialing scope you will be adding 26-43 oz to your rig. Then add rings, sling, bipods (if you are one to leave on hanging on your stock), scope level. It adds up.
I use a Sparten Precision bipod, so it is carried in a pouch and not on the rifle. Attaches quickly via earth magnets.

Most of my hunts are not super far... 2-7 miles round trip in a day hunt.

Last edited:

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be 63 in a month.
Why? Because they shoot very well and I spend months on end scouting and hunting for a split second shot. It better count.

Are light guns nice to carry? Yup. But I do feel the heavier guns shoot much better and allow you to see the shot easier. I like the adjustable LOP and comb and a stock with a flat bottom.

One thing is that today's quality long range rifle scopes are pretty heavy. If you want a durable, reliable dialing scope you will be adding 26-43 oz to your rig. Then add rings, sling, bipods (if you are one to leave on hanging on your stock), scope level. It adds up.
I use a Sparten Precision bipod, so it is carried in a pouch and not on the rifle. Attaches quickly via earth magnets.

Makes good sense to me. Tell us about your go-to rifles, stock, scope, cartridge, barrel length/contour, etc. Cheers

I'll be 63 in a month.

I love this. It makes me cringe when people say they want a sub 8lb rifle loaded. Its not even the fact that it tames the recoil. Its just straight up steadier. My 11 lb rifle is a steady as a rock when I set it on a bag and look through the scope.

manitou1

WKR
I love this. It makes me cringe when people say they want a sub 8lb rifle loaded. Its not even the fact that it tames the recoil. Its just straight up steadier. My 11 lb rifle is a steady as a rock when I set it on a bag and look through the scope.
Agreed. A rifle with a good stock and a little heft is a thing of beauty to shoot. They require much less effort to shoot accurately.

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
My current hunting rifle is 11 pounds loaded up. I don’t hate packing it because it’s so easy to shoot. 7 SAUM that’ll have a can once it clears. I can see 95 percent of my impacts past 200 with the break it has.

I changed my setups a fair bit recently and they can now range in weight from 12-18 pounds depending on the type of hunt it'll be. That's via switching out barreled action/scope/chassis primarily but other accessories too.

wyosam

WKR
Man you guys are tough. Out of curiosity I weighed one of my hunting rifles with its “off season” barrel on it (a 26” stainless that’s .750 at the muzzle) takes that rifle from just a tick under 8 pounds as I hunt with it to 9# 12oz, and I can’t imagine packing it around in the mountains, even in a gun bearer. I occasionally try to find a hunt to use it on. Something without much walking with long shot opportunities, just haven’t found it yet. It is nice to shoot at that weight, but I can’t say I’d take a shot on game that I wouldn’t comfortably take with it at 8#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article 4

WKR
I run multiple (7 in total) ELR hunting rifles and PREFER them to be over 10 lbs and sometime can be 12 or 13. I am 57 and still go deep and hike miles and miles on DIY hunts out west. Mountains, wide open plains, and travel to Arizona and other places to shoot and hunt.
Stability to me "outweighs" the 3 or 5 lbs that someone might save running a lighweight rifle. Exception, high altitude sheep. I run them with the best accessories I can afford. Kahles scopes, Atlas Bipods, Suppressors and high quality and heavy duty scope rings and mounts. In the end, I am supremely confident that my durable and slightly heavier rifles will perform every time - example:
I was in Montana on a horseback hunt and while dismounting, the horse spooked and dropped me on the ground on top of my rifle, strapped to my back. Scope and rifle hit the ground at the same time. I was worried.
Found a small rock at 100 and took a shot...hit dead center the first round and the second.
Weight equals stability, repeatability, durability and increased accuracy....so I run them heavier

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 65125717287__25329DDA-9421-4791-B390-BBB89F143AF9.jpeg
    65125717287__25329DDA-9421-4791-B390-BBB89F143AF9.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

rcook10

WKR
Carried a long action 270 with a harris and big scope for a lot of years. Shot great, not my favorite rifle to offhand shoot with or carry though. I don't use a gun bearer and infrequently use a sling, there are a lot of close and fast encounters where mounting a gun fast is a priority. Once I started trying more fly weight options I have had a hard time going back after carrying a 6.5 pound scoped suppressed 308 in the field. I have shot game past 300 in field positions and with the can it points and holds offhand great.