Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

I'm at 13lbs complete on a 300wsm 28inch proof sendero and manners cf stock. I am will to carry a couple more lbs and be confident in my gun out to what ever range an opportunity of a life time presents itself. Being confident in your rifle is worth every penny and some weight. Shooting a 6lb kimber out to 700 yards isn't very ethical in my opinion. No way with adrenaline flowing through your veins and a little wind can 99.9% of people hold on a target very far out. Your rest and shooting position would have to be perfect and how often does that happen while hunting on the mountain.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I am at 10 lbs and 12 ounces with my Nosler M48 Liberty, 26" proof carbon barrel, Nightforce ATACR and Atlas bipod.

Totoro

WKR
My 300PRC is right around 10.25lbs all ready and I am comfortable with it's weight.

Gonna be a lighter gun just for giggles though just to see.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
My 7STW was 11 lbs 7 oz unloaded no bipod this year on my only non-res hunt.
PSS stock, 28” non fluted Lilja, Warne steel rings and bases plus a big Zeiss. Ended up taking my mule deer at 208 standing on my hind legs.
It’s been shortened, fluted and is off being bedded into a McMillan now - hoping to be around 10 loaded.

orkan

FNG
The vast majority of my hunting rifles weigh in excess of 15lbs. Though I'm out on the plains of South Dakota. Shots are often very long, and I really appreciate the extra forgiveness in rifle driving that a heavy rifle buys me.

I think if I were hunting where things take a turn for the vertical, my tastes would likely change very rapidly!

I had a gunsmith build me a rifle, we where not on the same page. it weighs 10 1\2 lbs.
it sits in the safe, way to heavy to hump around the mountains. pretty bummed actually.

brushape

WKR
I like to be about 9 pounds with scope and bipod but I also have a short barreled creedmoor that’s 6 pounds scoped that is a dream to carry when I’m not planning on shooting far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry both the heavy 10 lb + set ups for day hunts that are in rugged country yet I know I am in and out back to a base/ truck camp. I also carry a lighter minus 10 lb rifle when I am staying back in for a few days. Both set ups can shot sub MOA. My glass is always 2 lbs and I usually shed the bipod when I have my pack. I also used the gun bearer until the heavier gun started really creating hip pressure issues. Now I run a tactical sling with QD. This allows me 3 or 4 various positions to carry and seems to help share the pain. I have never hunted with a "light weight set up, but would sure like one. To me light weight has always been sub 10 lbs as stated because of the NF glass I run.

WKR
I use a Kifaru gunbearer and all the weight is on my hips. So stopped worrying about rifle weight.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
I like to carry a lightweight 270 for serious backpacking stuff, but every hunt takes a different "tool". My 300 rum is 13.5 pounds and i do backpack with it, just not crazy far. Nice to be able to shoot across canyons or into those little clearings. Heavy guns are just so nice to shoot longer range

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Really considering a cooper open country long range, and pretty sold on it. Rifle would be 10+ after it’s all said and done. Not willing to pay for the light weight version with the proof barrel.
I’m wondering how crazy I am considering packing a 10lb set up.
Live in Idaho and I don’t usually hunt in flat terrain, sooo...who else hunts with a heavy rifle out west? Haha
My 6.5 weighs 11 pounds with a TT315m scope. My 7 Saum weighs 10 pounds with a TT315m scope and Proof Sendero CF barrel. I have a lightweight Tikka but I prefer a little more weight so haven't shot it in a long time. My backpacking days are over though so I'm day hiking or shooting off a UTV. If I were backpacking it would be 8.5 pounds total with a 28 oz scope.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I carried my Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua when I was hunting Caribou in Alaska.

I just bought a super lightweight 6.5 prc. And now this thread makes me want to build my 9.5lb 30-06 into a 12lb heavy barrel 300 win mag.