Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
10 lbs is a sweet spot. Especally for anything long range. I like the confidence of puting the gun down and knowing something is going to die. Put it in a gun bearer and get to killin'

Ricard13

FNG
My gun I’ve been using the past few years is a 338 Lapua coming in around 13lbs loaded and with a bipod. I have complete and utter confidence in it, and I prefer the weight when actually shooting. My shoulders definitely are sore by the end of a good day hiking around. Can only switch things around so much before everything is sore! I think that you can have a gun that is too light. 9-10lbs all done up is a good range to try and shoot for I think.

Mine is probably about that weight though I’ve never actually weighed it. It shoots good and I like it so I keep dragging it around. I see how an ultra light setup would be nice, but I’m very comfortable with what I’m shooting and that makes a couple extra pounds worth it to me. Ive been hunting with this rifle for a dozen years though and have just gotten used to the weight. If I was starting from scratch now on a rifle for mountain hunting I’d probably look for something lighter. If it’s something you plan on packing around for several years it might be worth spending a little more now to get what you’ll wish you had later…

Seeknelk

WKR
10.2 loaded with bi-pod. Wouldn’t have it any other way, but I also I pack a 95 STX around everywhere as well...
Lots of people get hung up on weight. If you want to save a few pounds take a shit.
Take a shit, lose 30# and drop 3 pounds off the rifle. Best of everything 🤔😄

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I walked all over the place during the CO 1st elk with a 13lb 300win mag. Included a NF SHV and a SiCo Omega. I wish I had my Razor gen 2 for the glass clarity despite the weight. Had a bull that might have been legal in range but just couldn’t quite see if it was.

I couldn’t tell you what my rifle weighed.
eaf181ac04d3fe995128e8831b5ca512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
If your going to have a quality scope and bipod in a larger caliber there all going to be 10 pounds. Sometimes a sheep gun or similar would be nice until your shooting elk in rough ground Where you want them stopped. I know shot placement is everything, but those critters cane go with no blood

madcalfe

WKR
If your going to have a quality scope and bipod in a larger caliber there all going to be 10 pounds. Sometimes a sheep gun or similar would be nice until your shooting elk in rough ground Where you want them stopped. I know shot placement is everything, but those critters cane go with no blood
not true. i have a 2lb scope and bipod attached to my gun and im right at 8.3lbs.
just comes down to how much you wanna spend for lightweight components

I hunt with a 12# rifle some but not out west. Most we have is high hills and it does kind of suck packing it a few miles through public land with the rest of my gear but man is it nice to shoot

Macht

FNG
My main hunting rifle is in the 12lb range, but the longest hunt I've taken it on was under 5 miles of hiking. I imagine I'd go lighter if I was doing multi-day hunts.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I thought this was the long range section, not the lightweight. 14 lbs ready to rock, here.. but I have 100% confidence in every shot.

I could shave 2lb on a cf barrel or a lb on the scope or a lb on the stock... but I like to see my hits.
My rig was right around 14lbs. I changed the stock, scope, rings. Got down to a little over 10lbs. Went and shot steel and didn't like it one bit. Recoil isn't an issue but muzzle jump even with brake was a problem. I couldn't spot impacts. I'll gladly carry a heavy rifle and cut the weight somewhere else. I changed around parts again to get in the 12 1/2 pound range. I'm thinking that's about as light as I can get with this rifle and spot impacts.

One of the most important parts of long range hunting/shooting is recoil managment. You need to see where you hit an animal or where you missed to make a proper correction. This is especially important if solo hunting, or hunting in far off lands where a language barrier could exist.

No way. Even my heavy rifle is 9 lbs 12 oz. Loaded with scope, rings and sling. I hate carrying it.

I have a heavy Bergara 6.5PRC I am trying to shed a couple pounds from right now. Its at that 10 lb range and I don't like it. I carry the rifles in a hip belt sling pocket so the weight is on my pack belt not a traditional rifle sling, but still.... The rifle is a .2-.3 rifle so even if it opens up with less weight, I am fine with that. Looking at the XLR 4.0 MG or Atom. But the $$$ is more than I paid for the Bergara. lol

Not me, never. 8lbs 9 oz loaded, Underwood shooting sticks give a very steady rest and ride on my hip in a carry sheath. No shots longer than 400 yds in 28 elk seasons. Don't have to pack the meat 1,000 yds to get back where I shot from to hike out.

roperking

FNG
I live in Northern Utah and have hunted Idaho a fair amount and have packed a 10-11 pound rifle with scope (if you don‘t count a bipod) everywhere I go. It is surprising how comfortable a 10 pound rifle is, when you take into consideration shootability. When you get under 10 pounds you start having to give up features that make rifles easier to shoot(adjustability and recoil management). Personally I wouldn’t go any lighter than 9 pounds on a rifle before a bipod. I have grown accustomed to having a rifle that shoots like my match rifle.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
10.1 lb

Tikka T3x Lite 7mm RM
Harris Bipod
Zeiss v4 4-16x50
Area 419 base
Hawkins Rings
Triad Stock Pack
TiPro Brake

Normally carry it in a Gunbearer which makes the weight unnoticeable but when I drop the pack and carry it slung, it gets heavy.