Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

sreal217

hunted the mountains with my 13 lb rifle for 2 years now and its just switching from one shoulder to the other.going to be investing into something lighter instead of carrying a bench rifle .always pack light

JGood

10 lbs is a sweet spot. Especally for anything long range. I like the confidence of puting the gun down and knowing something is going to die. Put it in a gun bearer and get to killin'

Ricard13

My gun I’ve been using the past few years is a 338 Lapua coming in around 13lbs loaded and with a bipod. I have complete and utter confidence in it, and I prefer the weight when actually shooting. My shoulders definitely are sore by the end of a good day hiking around. Can only switch things around so much before everything is sore! I think that you can have a gun that is too light. 9-10lbs all done up is a good range to try and shoot for I think.

Centralcoastca

Mine is probably about that weight though I’ve never actually weighed it. It shoots good and I like it so I keep dragging it around. I see how an ultra light setup would be nice, but I’m very comfortable with what I’m shooting and that makes a couple extra pounds worth it to me. Ive been hunting with this rifle for a dozen years though and have just gotten used to the weight. If I was starting from scratch now on a rifle for mountain hunting I’d probably look for something lighter. If it’s something you plan on packing around for several years it might be worth spending a little more now to get what you’ll wish you had later…

S.Clancy

Mine is 10 lbs. Yes, it sucks to carry, but just can't give it up because it shoots so good.

Seeknelk

10.2 loaded with bi-pod. Wouldn’t have it any other way, but I also I pack a 95 STX around everywhere as well...
Lots of people get hung up on weight. If you want to save a few pounds take a shit.
Take a shit, lose 30# and drop 3 pounds off the rifle. Best of everything 🤔😄

Hawkeye29

I walked all over the place during the CO 1st elk with a 13lb 300win mag. Included a NF SHV and a SiCo Omega. I wish I had my Razor gen 2 for the glass clarity despite the weight. Had a bull that might have been legal in range but just couldn’t quite see if it was.

dreamingbig

I couldn’t tell you what my rifle weighed.
eaf181ac04d3fe995128e8831b5ca512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loggerdude

If your going to have a quality scope and bipod in a larger caliber there all going to be 10 pounds. Sometimes a sheep gun or similar would be nice until your shooting elk in rough ground Where you want them stopped. I know shot placement is everything, but those critters cane go with no blood

madcalfe

If your going to have a quality scope and bipod in a larger caliber there all going to be 10 pounds. Sometimes a sheep gun or similar would be nice until your shooting elk in rough ground Where you want them stopped. I know shot placement is everything, but those critters cane go with no blood
not true. i have a 2lb scope and bipod attached to my gun and im right at 8.3lbs.
just comes down to how much you wanna spend for lightweight components

brandonmacd1

I hunt with a 12# rifle some but not out west. Most we have is high hills and it does kind of suck packing it a few miles through public land with the rest of my gear but man is it nice to shoot

Macht

My main hunting rifle is in the 12lb range, but the longest hunt I've taken it on was under 5 miles of hiking. I imagine I'd go lighter if I was doing multi-day hunts.