Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

Tdmouse29

FNG
Really considering a cooper open country long range, and pretty sold on it. Rifle would be 10+ after it’s all said and done. Not willing to pay for the light weight version with the proof barrel.
I’m wondering how crazy I am considering packing a 10lb set up.
Live in Idaho and I don’t usually hunt in flat terrain, sooo...who else hunts with a heavy rifle out west? Haha

OP
Tdmouse29

Tdmouse29

FNG
Ya, I’m thinking mine will be in the same range as all of those.
I’m thinking 11 lbs with scope and suppressor. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tdmouse29

Tdmouse29

FNG
That’s what I’m looking for. I am hoping to be able to see the impact when I’m by myself too.

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t know what they weigh but I know they are heavy, a shilo sharps 45-110 with a 32” barrel, and a tikka tac A1 6.5 creedmoor. Guessing both are well over 10 lbs.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’ve hunted with 10# + rifles when I was younger & didn’t think about it, but have been moving to shorter lighter rifles.

7.5#-8.5# is what I shoot for now.
I’m comfortable with a max 8.5# rifle.

Most of my hunting requires hiking into steep mountain country or open canyon river breaks.

Not ready to change the way I like to hunt yet. but I’ll change equipment, if it keeps me in the game.

I do find tho that a 10# rifle is about the sweet spot for shoot ability. I’ll be building my next
Rifle around that target weight to shoot longer range & run it suppressed.

Last edited:
OP
Tdmouse29

Tdmouse29

FNG
I’ve hunted with 10# + rifles when I was younger & didn’t think about it, but have been moving to shorter lighter rifles.

7.5#-8.5# is what I shoot for now.
I’m comfortable with a max 8.5# rifle.

Most of my hunting requires hiking into steep mountain country or open canyon river breaks.

Not ready to change the way I like to hunt yet. but I’ll change equipment, if it keeps me in the game.

My dad thinks I’m crazy. He is all about the light weight stuff, around the 7.5#. He lives in and hunts Alaska so he’s not willing to add a few extra pounds.

Kentk

FNG
I have been carrying around an old Vanguard with an oversized scope for years. Loaded it is just over 10lbs. It shoots great but my shoulder is asking me to spend money on something lighter.

ACKLEYFAN

FNG
My Ruger M77MKII is 10.5# w/scope, not ideal for mountain/backpack hunting, it wears me down. 7.5 is more ideal for me, but you have to spend $ to hit that target weight.

Brendan

WKR
Completely depends on the type of hunt. I have some where I'd absolutely take my ~10# 300 WM. Then there was this year, ended up primarily hunting thicker timber with that gun and needed to have the gun in my hand (If I'd had it in my gun bearer - I wouldn't have gotten my Elk). Felt like I would've given my left nut for my 6# Kimber towards the end of the hunt.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I’m about 10.5# with bipod. Really makes a difference on long range shots but I won’t lie I do get tired of carrying it at times. One of those sling hooks on your shoulder strap makes a huge difference for me.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 26" barreled short action magnum that barely breaks 10# unloaded. It is set up for long range hunting. I carried it everywhere on all my mountain hunts so far.

I am building a 6 BR Ackley on a Howa mini action to be as light as possible for a coues deer rifle.

I ditched the bipod, so my total shooting weight is less than it was when I started. I have also swapped out of an adjustable cheek rest on my stock.