Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I thought this was the long range section, not the lightweight. 14 lbs ready to rock, here.. but I have 100% confidence in every shot.

I could shave 2lb on a cf barrel or a lb on the scope or a lb on the stock... but I like to see my hits.

Fordguy

WKR
Not a rifle, but My girlfriend's turkey gun is a 10 lb shotgun. I had to add weight to the stock and forend to make the recoil tolerable for her- a lot of weight. Sometimes you make due with what you have and adding weight was the least expensive solution. However, she shoots it well and doesn't mind carrying a 10 lb gun, and we do a lot of walking and calling depending on the hunting location.
If she can do it, you can do it.

OP
Tdmouse29

Tdmouse29

FNG
I thought this was the long range section, not the lightweight. 14 lbs ready to rock, here.. but I have 100% confidence in every shot.

I could shave 2lb on a cf barrel or a lb on the scope or a lb on the stock... but I like to see my hits.

Well, I’m buying the cooper long range to be use for hunting. Haha seeing if anyone else hunted with a heavy long range set up.
My buddy hunts with a 14lb gun and does it to see his hits as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, I’m buying the cooper long range to be use for hunting. Haha seeing if anyone else hunted with a heavy long range set up.
My buddy hunts with a 14lb gun and does it to see his hits as well.

With a magnum, a 10-12 pound rifle is pretty good spot for weight vs. spotting shots if you have a brake or suppressor. I wouldn't want it much less for spotting shots.

A short action caliber in 6 or 6.5 can go lighter and still spot shots.

Either way, it takes a lot of practice on the fundamentals to spot shots with light rifles.

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
All of mine are pushing 10lbs. Currently building a 7 mag off a Savage action that should be a little over 10lbs.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Been questioning which rifle to run with this year. Just went and weighed my 2 potential elk rifles..

#12 AR10 in 6.5CM and #9 7mm mag bolt.

I am so much more accurate with my ar10 that I haven’t touched my 7mag in the deer woods for a few years.

First time going elk hunting this year and leaning towards heavier and more accurate at this point.

Rock-o

WKR
Rifle, brake, Picatinny rail, scope rings, scope, sling: just over 11 pounds, plus a bipod sometimes

OP
Tdmouse29

Tdmouse29

FNG
I don’t feel as crazy anymore.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been questioning which rifle to run with this year. Just went and weighed my 2 potential elk rifles..

#12 AR10 in 6.5CM and #9 7mm mag bolt.

I am so much more accurate with my ar10 that I haven’t touched my 7mag in the deer woods for a few years.

First time going elk hunting this year and leaning towards heavier and more accurate at this point.
Light mag rifles are harder to shoot, controlling the recoil.

Does the 7 mag fit you?

I would take the 7 mag elk hunting, if you can start shooting it better. Get some time behind the 7 mag, you will shoot it better. 7 mag to 6.5 cm out of a gas gun is a big jump.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Light mag rifles are harder to shoot, controlling the recoil.

Does the 7 mag fit you?

I would take the 7 mag elk hunting, if you can start shooting it better. Get some time behind the 7 mag, you will shoot it better. 7 mag to 6.5 cm out of a gas gun is a big jump.

Recoil I think does have a little to do with my accuracy with the gun. I’ve had the 7mag for 12 years and the 6.5 for 3 and I’ve put 10X more rounds down range with the 6.5 due to the recoil and platform. So that is probably another factor.

Now with the ammo struggles I’m hoping to get my hands on enough 7mag ammo to see if I can bump it up. I’d be all for a lighter more powerful option, I just need to get more confident with it again.

WYELK83

FNG
Like others have said, most rifles are right around the 10lb range after scope. A little bit heavier rifle tends to sit better too when shooting.

The two rifles I often hunt with are a
Tikka CTR with bipod, unloaded is at 12lb 4oz and a Sako 85 with bipod, unloaded is at 10lb 2oz

Mosby

WKR
I have a 300 Weatherby Improved that weighs over 10 lbs. Had it built over 20 years ago. It is the most accurate rifle I own but I never used it the way I intended. Doesn't fit the way I hunt now and one of these days I'll probably sell it.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is right at 11 with bipod, scope, rings and a stock pack.

Been running an 11# 300 win mag, never felt like it was too heavy when hunting somewhere I know longer shots could be a reality. With the muzzle break I can spot my shots which is almost priceless.