Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
This thread got me to thinking as my Marlin 1895GS sure feels like ~10 lbs.

Turns out, it only weighs 8.5 lbs. when fully loaded. At the end of the day it sure feels at least 10 lbs. :D

Eddie

Last edited:

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
12.5 all in, learn to embrack the suck carrying it. Have found gun bearer/attaching to pack directly is my jam.
As others have stated, staring down a bull at 700, worth it every time.

Attachments

• 20201031_172144.jpg
    20201031_172144.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 153
I have a bergara ridge in an hmr stock that weighs 10lbs. It shoots good but I wouldn't want to carry it around for long hikes.

FNG
I use a Ruger 77 MkII that’s 9.5 lbs dressed. I like the wieght because 300 win mag is no slouch in recoil or down range energy.

wyosam

WKR
I love to shoot a heavy rifle as much as anyone, but I cant make myself carry anything anywhere near that heavy. My normal hunting I want at or under the 8# mark ready to shoot. If I had a hunt that would keep me very close tot he truck and I expected shots much beyond 600, I might consider a 10# rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MartinD-35

Lil-Rokslider
My current rifle is at about 13 lbs and I lugged it about 40 miles total in last year's 3rd elk season. It's got me thinking pretty hard about rebarreling to a sporter contour to shave 3-4 pounds.

Manakh

FNG
I have a bergara ridge in an hmr stock that weighs 10lbs. It shoots good but I wouldn't want to carry it around for long hikes.

I carry a bergara b14 wilderness hmr 7mag with a vortex viper pst gen ii 5-25 around... Had days this last November for elk with 12-14 miles on the boots in a day. The gun is a tank!

I swear everything related to hunting is a series of trade offs, I wish someone told me this when I first started. Heavier rifle vs lighter rifle etc. But when I see something at 600 or w/e I'll be glad I'm carrying this thing around!!

tuk

FNG
11-13 lbs. love the gun accurate will haul the wieght for a good gun i can trust.

Use whatever rifle you have the most confidence in that you can accurately shoot on a consistent basis.

I personally prefer rifles that are 7-8 pounds loaded. I shoot them well and have no issues taking shots in game at extended distances. With that said, I would not want to shoot some of them all day long.

10.9 lbs also in Idaho. I wouldn't want any heavier. Also wouldn't want much lighter due to being recoil shy.
If the trip is longer than I can haul 10.9lbs I'm not making the trip.

I see some people complaining about their sore shoulders in regards to their rifle weight. How you carry your rifle is just as important as how much it weighs. Mine is 10.5# with scope/suppressor on it and I carry it either in a SG quick release strapped to the side of my backpack or a Kifaru universal gunbearer. I think some people here should think about transporting their rifle smarter rather than cutting weight off of it.

I see some people complaining about their sore shoulders in regards to their rifle weight. How you carry your rifle is just as important as how much it weighs. Mine is 10.5# with scope/suppressor on it and I carry it either in a SG quick release strapped to the side of my backpack or a Kifaru universal gunbearer. I think some people here should think about transporting their rifle smarter rather than cutting weight off of it.

This is very true but it’s important to state the importance of balancing the weight of the pack. If you hang a 10lb rifle off the side of a pack, one should make an effort to shift some heavier things over to the other side. Spotter, water, food, shelter, stuff like that. If you do this right, it makes a big difference in how heavy things “feel”, and that 10+ lbs gun becomes much less of an encumbrance.

This is very true but it’s important to state the importance of balancing the weight of the pack. If you hang a 10lb rifle off the side of a pack, one should make an effort to shift some heavier things over to the other side. Spotter, water, food, shelter, stuff like that. If you do this right, it makes a big difference in how heavy things “feel”, and that 10+ lbs gun becomes much less of an encumbrance.
Yeah the other side of my pack has my tripod on it so that helps too.

Antares

WKR
I’ve packed around my 11 lbs rifle and my 5.5 lbs rifle. I carry them both in a Kafaru Gun Bearer and I honestly can’t tell much difference.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’ve packed around my 11 lbs rifle and my 5.5 lbs rifle. I carry them both in a Kafaru Gun Bearer and I honestly can’t tell much difference.
Good to know. I pack my 10.75 lb rifle on the K gun bearer as well without issues and wondered what a sub 8lb rifle would feel like compared.

For me the sweet spot between forgiveness and carry-ability is 8.5-9.5lbs.

I had a 12lb 300wm that shot like a dream, but I could never bring myself to carry it into the hills so up the road it went. Sweet shooter and yes, I felt like it aimed itself.

My current rifle is around 9.5lbs scoped, loaded. Its also braked so it makes spotting shots easier.