Who hunts without a stabilizer?

rhendrix

WKR
I've been playing around with my bow setup recently and have noticed that with a quiver, 10 inch stabilizer and sight attached I get a lot of torque issues. Recently I started shooting without the stabilizer and only the top portion of the two piece quiver on and noticed that my torque issues have almost gone away, is this normal? Do I really need a stabilizer? The only time I've noticed it making a big difference is when it's windy outside, and even then the difference is marginal. Just curious if anyone else shoots without one or with a small offset one like j-daddy had set up on his old vector turbo.

Hardstalk

WKR
No stabilizer for me. Im sure it could help in more ways than one but when I went from a diamond bow to a hoyt the change was so significant in quality of bows I decided to go without.

Beastmode

WKR
Currently not using one. I have a detroyer 340 and had no issues holding perfectly still until this year. Bow is super quiet and no hand shock but wqnt to put some weight up front. Must be getting old!
You can definitly shoot great groups without a stabilizer. It also makes a lighter smalle profile bow.

Ive never heard of a torque issue being caused by a stab. If you can shoot just as good without one as you can with one than thats great! I would think that the a sight and quiver would cause more of a cant issue than torque. I shoot a stab as it seems to slow down the movement of my pins and takes some of the "buzz" out of my bow.

Which muscle or ligament groups tend to suffer from lack of frontal weight? I am setting up my first bow in twenty years and am curious about cost / benefit (not money), and ways to improve without it.

Lawnboi

WKR
8.5" bstinger all the time, w/ quick disconnect its more like 10"

First thing id do is look at how your holding the bow, next step would be to get some kind of offset to keep from any torque.

What stabilizer are you running?

Racethesunset: Check out this link, it explains a little bit on why they help out http://www.beestinger.com/why-b-stinger-works.php
They also slow down pin movement( for me atleast) and balance out my bow better. This is all subjective, but find the right stabilizer for your bow that matches how you shoot and its definetly something that is worth the weight IMO

Maxhunter

WKR
I'm with Lawnboi on this one. It definitely helps steady the pin movement some and you'll notice shooting 50yds and beyond at least I do.

I currently use a 10" B-stinger Sport Hunter with a quick disconnect.

I personally see no difference in my shooting until I get to 50 yards plus. I am shooting the Hoyt CE RKT and the B stinger 8" just 3oz on the end. The longer the stab, the less weight you need. Most people dont realize that. simple physics.

When weight is a concern, I don't take it. This approach hasn't let me down yet. I have kill a lot of critters without one. I think the newer technology makes up for a lot. I do believe most guys just pick one and do not try to match what they need based on the balance of the bow. I am not foolish enough to think their isn't a difference, because simple physics proves it makes a difference. However, I am not trying split arrows in the field and I do not think it is a must for hunting.

I think bowhunters are somewhat lemmings....follow what others are doing...

Check out this link, it explains a little bit on why they help out http://www.beestinger.com/why-b-stinger-works.php
They also slow down pin movement( for me atleast) and balance out my bow better. This is all subjective, but find the right stabilizer for your bow that matches how you shoot and its definetly something that is worth the weight IMO

Thanks, that makes more sense. The weight weenie in me is a constant nuisance.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
So after more playing around with my setup, I think I'm gonna leave my 10" carbon blade hunter on the bow. I may even pick up an oz or two to put on the end. Today was especially windy and I really punched my shots when I didn't have anything on the bow, or when I just had a little 5" blade on. The bow is noticeably heavier, hopefully once I throw a tight spot on it won't feel as heavy though.

I personally did NOT use a stabilizer in 2012. It was a weight choice I made. and the more I shot without it the better I got. I am going to use one this year though.

I really wish I could get away with out using one. But man I really shoot more accurately with a stabilizer. I could do with out but accuracy is what counts when it comes to bowhunting! I use 8-12" b stingers

Quick question kind of as an internal thread here:

For those of you who always use a stab due to accuracy...have you pulled your stabs off and shot for 2-3 months to give it a try and see how things progressed with time? I know that I just pulled mine off one day in a high high sustained wind and just never put it on because I didn't ever see a change but I also know that I do spend more time behind a bow than a lot of guys do.