Who is hitting opening day of LEGAL firewood season?

OP
Customweld
^^ They do have a place and sometimes it’s a PITA using it. I would not want to pack it into a canyon for a elk! That would be way hard work. We bring it in the jet boat for late summer running just in case we hot a gravel bar.
It was off an old logging road, so we didn’t pack it too far. They do work well for jet boats. It’s amazing how sticky that aluminum is when it’s sitting on gravel.

Any of you guys burn much white fir (piss fir)? Found a couple nice trees, just dont remember burning much of it, and what it would compare to?

OP
Customweld
Any of you guys burn much white fir (piss fir)? Found a couple nice trees, just dont remember burning much of it, and what it would compare to?
If it cures right it burns like paper. Pretty hot and fast. One of the biggest problems with it is the bark generally doesn't slip off and it won't cure right. It hold that moisture and turns into a sponge. If you can find a stick that has slipped it's bark and it's weather cracked, it makes for good early or real late season fires. When a guy is looking for a quick heat and nothing sustained through the day.

The bark on this stuff is tight still. Split a load of it last night, it splits nice and straight, but man does it have some moisture in it still. We have burned mostly Bug killed lodge pole for the last 20 years with the odd doug fir or larch mixed in, but now even the lodge pole is getting pretty well picked over. The doug fir around here are getting some kind of bug in them that is taking them out, so the last couple years have been pretty good for nice easy wood.

OP
Customweld
The bark on this stuff is tight still. Split a load of it last night, it splits nice and straight, but man does it have some moisture in it still. We have burned mostly Bug killed lodge pole for the last 20 years with the odd doug fir or larch mixed in, but now even the lodge pole is getting pretty well picked over. The doug fir around here are getting some kind of bug in them that is taking them out, so the last couple years have been pretty good for nice easy wood.
I do like lodgepole. Good size and easy to work .

No date restriction in my area. However there are a lot of live trees that are cut illegally this time of year.

Any experience semi-chisel vs full?

Keep reading that semi deals with dirty wood better, and as wet a spring as we are having everything we get to the road is pretty dirty.......

Have always used full chisel...

Full chisel here . Never used much semi. Dirt just dulls the crap out of chains. I like to cut firewood more than sharpen chains. Lol

OP
Customweld
Any experience semi-chisel vs full?

Keep reading that semi deals with dirty wood better, and as wet a spring as we are having everything we get to the road is pretty dirty.......

Have always used full chisel...
Full chisels like clean wood. If I'm in wood that I have skidded or is dirty, I will switch over to round chain. I'm pretty handy at filing but there is no substitute for a full chisel chain .

We have been dealing with big larch and fir. With the deep bark, it just gets pretty dirty after getting it to the road. Hasnt been a problem in the past, but just so wet this year. We are up to 7 loads, and I bet 4 of them were in the rain....

Probably try the semi on 1 saw. I actually like filing, just not in the woods.