Who is packing protein powders for meal supplements ?

Shrek

WKR
I'm thinking about ways to pack enough food to keep my body up under the stress and it's hard to pack enough and keep weight down. I'm looking at calories and protein I need and it would take a mountain of mountain house meals to keep up and not get run down.
I'm thinking three sugar free protein shakes a day would go a long way on keeping my body from cannibalizing my muscles.
Any thoughts and recommendations of brands that mix with water ?

Jager

WKR
Body Ripped and Body Science both mix well with water, I prefer the latter, tastes pretty good.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
For breakfast I always have 2 packets of instant flavored oatmeal that I put into individual zip lock bags at home before my trip. I also put between 1/2 to 1 scoop of protein powder in with it. Heat up some water, mix it in and you are good to go.

Manosteel

WKR
I use protein isolate powders every trip. I have 60 grams every morning with 2 instant oatmeal packets. Then I have another serving of 30 grams mid afternoon and another late in the evening. I find it hard to get enough protein with normal meals in the backcountry so this is the only way I can do it. I don't have any particular brand that I'm stuck with when it comes to protein, I have used the Costco Kirkland stuff, Walmart stuff, and the real expense stuff, all with the required results. All I care about is that it's a whey protein isolate powder.

Jager

WKR
A mate of mine works in a small goods factory, anyway, he said he'd get me 4 kgs of plain whey powder that they add to many of their products, beauty I thought, man, does it taste disgusting. lol

Renoit24

FNG
I use Muscle Milk vanilla flavor in my Oatmeal in the mornings. It has a good amount of calories, but of course when taking in extra protein you have to be sure and drink more water as well.

Wrongside

WKR
For breakfast I always have 2 packets of instant flavored oatmeal that I put into individual zip lock bags at home before my trip. I also put between 1/2 to 1 scoop of protein powder in with it. Heat up some water, mix it in and you are good to go.

I do this as well. Some high fat nuts, dehydrated cranberries and/or some freeze dried blueberries and I'm happy. Makes a great breakfast, that I don't seem to get tired of...

All I care about is that it's a whey protein isolate powder.

x2

No soy for this kid!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
be advised that you have to double (minimum) your daily intake of fluids with high protein supplements, and if you're active while consuming them, triple fluid intake is best to avoid constipation and gas. That stuff is hell on your bowls otherwise, and it needs lots of fluids to be metabolized properly...so if you're backpacking in alpine areas where water is slim or working hard...you might avoid them as food sources.

What I've done instead of using them in the field, is consume them for two weeks prior to a field exercise and try to gain about 4-6 lbs excess weight, and preload on fluid intake. Then, once afield the extra lbs shed and your diet is easier to control and bowls return to semi-normal...

good luck,

Larry