Who is your favorite?

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
So who is your favorite Fred Bear or Howard Hill? For me I started with Howard,as time went by and the more I learned about both of them I'd say Fred Bear all the way.

ElkNut1

WKR
Hmm, neither, seeing I know little about either of them, heard of them but it ends there! (grin)

ElkNut1

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Not on the list, but Paul Schafer gets my vote. A man among men!!!

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
My list of old bowhunters who inspired me would be quite long, but it's guys like Paul & Jay Massey that make me want to roam the mountains looking for my own adventure!!

Fred Bear for his achievements and contributions to the sport of archery and the development and growth of youth in the archery world. BUT Howard Hill DID teach Errol Flynn how to shoot for his role as Robin Hood ( may be my favorite version of Robin Hood ).

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dwight Schuh was inspiring to me as a younger man - enjoyed reading his books in college. Today I probably look up most to Randy Ulmer. I know hime well on a personal level and can honestly say he's one of the nicest most generous and humble people I've ever known. He's a wonderful father and his shooting and hunting accomplishments are unparelleled in my opinion. He's the hardest working bowhunter I've ever hunted with.

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Bart Schleyer is someone I look up to, along with Fred Bear. Randy Ulmer is also something else and a down right killing machine.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have killed elk with a stick and with a compound. Compounds are way easier to kill with and involve much less practice to become proficient. So in my eyes you can't compare Randy Ulmer to Fred Bear. Not saying one is better than the other. Just totally different methods!

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
Y
I have killed elk with a stick and with a compound. Compounds are way easier to kill with and involve much less practice to become proficient. So in my eyes you can't compare Randy Ulmer to Fred Bear. Not saying one is better than the other. Just totally different methods!

Funny thing for me Ryan I've only killed one deer with a compound I just can't use one. Something with the sights release etc I just can't get it done. I have missed so many critters with one.

J

JBR

Saxton Pope, Art Young, Howard Hill are in a class of their own in my book. True pioneers of traditional archery. Guys like Fred Bear and Glenn St. Charles (founder of the Pope & Young Club were the next torch carriers and contributed so much to the history and culture of trad archery. If I had to pick ONE....Howard Hill.

B

bearguide

fred made an impression on me when i watched him shoot a brown bear at 10-15 feet

All of the above. I grew up wearing out Pete Shepley VHS tapes. Cameron Hanes pioneered DIY running and gunning. Howard's accomplishments will never be rivaled. Chuck Adams and Fred Eichler need not go unmentioned. G. Fred compromised many people's form. I would say personal mentors and critics tops, HH second and FB third.