Who Lubes Necks

Do you lube the neck of your case before seating the bullet.

• Yes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 66.7%
  • Lube Bullet Instead

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
I definitely lube the necks and also dip the bullets prior to seating as well. Seating is much more accurate after doing this and more importantly I've seen ES and SD go down dramatically. I'll never skip this step now, I've seen the light. Definitely worth it.
Plus there is also evidence out there that it will help prevent "cold welding" which will also aid in consistency, possibly for a longer duration.
This is what use and I can't reccomend it enough.
Screenshot_20200314-094210_Amazon Shopping.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
Not really sure it is a waste of time but I waste time all the time in reloading.
I use the imperial dry neck lube with the imperial application media and it works great......at least the dead animals don't seem to really care.

Randy

Same process here.

Only on new brass, definitely helps with seating. Couldn't measure a difference otherwise vs just the carbon in already fired cases. I do hit them with a nylon brush real quick, that's it though.

I use the imperial dry neck lube with the imperial application media. Works well and consistent. Looks like the consensus of using a dry lube while seating a bullet.

rayporter

WKR
there is also evidence [ from me] that lube other than dry powdered graphite or moly will cause powder to lose potency and even FTF.

i lube quite a few to fire form and dont worry about the lube when i will shoot in an hour or 3. 4000 degrees will blow out the lube, i figure. but for long term use expecting them to go bang after weeks or months i would never use a wet lube in a neck. of several hundred i had 30% at least fail to shoot on a p dog shoot using imperial.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Mica, imperial, or One Shot. More important if you are wet tumbling or ultrasonic cleaning - as in actually getting cases cleaned, instead of only polishing the exterior. “Stiction” in the neck is notably greater when using wet methods (chemically cleaning). Seating on an arbor press will let you feel the difference, on a hydroseater will let you see the difference - as will your ES/SD for well tuned loads.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We use carbide expander mandrels through the neck, never any lube but we make sure the mandrels are very clean prior to running them through the necks by chucking them up in a drill and running them through 1500 wet/dry sandpaper. If a specific lot of brass happens to have tight necks, we will dip every 3rd one into Imperial dry lube. Never any lube on the bullets themselves but I have had customers request moly if the ammunition will be sitting for awhile.

JDixon

FNG
Any opinions on using graphite vs moly vs mica? Does anyone know what Imperial Dry lube is made of?

Any opinions on using graphite vs moly vs mica? Does anyone know what Imperial Dry lube is made of?
I've never messed with moly or straight graphite but the imperial dry lube does a much better job than any mica I've used. Imperial dry lube is graphite "based". I have no idea what else is blended in with it, but it works great.

mtnkid85

WKR
I started lubing my necks before sizing, then seating the bullet. I noticed it sizes much nicer, more consistently. And it did lower my ES and SD.

I don't do it to every caliber but I noticed the biggest difference with my 30-06.

Jsustala

FNG
Lube rifle case when fl sizing or neck sizing so case doesn't get stuck in die then cleans case in dry media to remove lube. Only bad I see if you lube projectile is when seating bullet it could force lube into case body and contaminate powder charge if to much was applied.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
De prime.
Anneal after 3rd firings
Wipe off necks an shoulder
Tumble in dry media
Run brush inside neck
One shot lube
Bump shoulder
Wipe off case well

If any of the cases need it - trim and/or clean primer pockets of the batch. If wont be shooting the rounds for a while I might tumble again after sizing and brush necks with brush dipped in powdered graphite.

Prime
Add Powder
Seat bullet

When I dont mind brass not being shiny I can skip a couple steps

COOPDUCK

FNG
Lube necks before sizing, for sure. Lube necks before seating bullets, never, sort of blasphemy in the BR world. And what works for BR works in a hunting rifle. Really surprising to hear you all post more consistent SD with lube in the necks. I tumble after sizing to try and guarantee all lube is gone. Pressure changes with inconsistent neck tension, and to me, lube in the neck is going to change neck tension. Not possible to apply a consistent coating of lube, bad mojo, but that is my experience.

that’s interesting living necks before seating bullet isn’t done in benchrest. I use the imperial dry lube as well, but may do a round without and see how it affects accuracy.

I definitely dry lube the necks for sizing. I imagine there is some left inside when it comes time to seat the bullet. But I don’t lube again before seating.

brn2hnt

WKR
I don't know? I lube them before sizing, but that's with whatever stock RCBS lube came in my kit. I don't clean it out before charging and seating the bullet though.