Who Lubes Necks

Do you lube the neck of your case before seating the bullet.

• Yes

Votes: 40 29.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 66.7%
  • Lube Bullet Instead

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

Olythom

FNG
“I was having issues with my dies making rings on my accubonds while seating......“

Same concern here, as well as feeling different stroke pressures while seating...... I started using a brass brush with the tiniest bit of lube (unique) to lube necks. Bullets seat more consistently (stroke pressure, COAL) and the markings on the bullet disappeared. I’ve notice no decline in accuracy (sub .5 moa in my Bergara) but I have not run them through a chrono.

TexAg08

FNG
Finally got to the range today to run some tests with this theory. Thing to note on the data, all the no lube strings showed the same pressure signs (heavy bolt/extractor/ejector marks) that I have been seeing for awhile now. The lubed necks made those pressure signs disappear. Makes me think I may have a neck tension issue causing the pressure signs (0.002" neck tension).

1589063868623.png

Vacrt2002

Lil-Rokslider
Lube necks before sizing, for sure. Lube necks before seating bullets, never, sort of blasphemy in the BR world. And what works for BR works in a hunting rifle. Really surprising to hear you all post more consistent SD with lube in the necks. I tumble after sizing to try and guarantee all lube is gone. Pressure changes with inconsistent neck tension, and to me, lube in the neck is going to change neck tension. Not possible to apply a consistent coating of lube, bad mojo, but that is my experience.

This! And then tumble clean.

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely lube the necks and also dip the bullets prior to seating as well. Seating is much more accurate after doing this and more importantly I've seen ES and SD go down dramatically. I'll never skip this step now, I've seen the light. Definitely worth it.
Plus there is also evidence out there that it will help prevent "cold welding" which will also aid in consistency, possibly for a longer duration.
This is what use and I can't reccomend it enough.
View attachment 161879

That's the stuff. (y)

archp625

WKR
I would say yes for me kinda. I lube with one shot and run a brush through everyone. I imagine there is lube still in there when i seat the bullet. I don't go out of my way to remove it like some people do.

I'm not sure if mine should be yes or no. I said yes. I only put a tiny bit of Lee case lube on my neck brush before brushing my neck before FL sizing. I don't tumble or wipe out the necks, so I assume there is still some lube in the neck when I seat the bullet.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I recently started using Hornady One Shot with my case prep and have noticed a difference for the better. Running a lot smoother.

JakeSCH

WKR
I think it is more important to be consistent in whatever you do...that being said I dip my case neck in imperial before i add powder because I don't neck turn my brass or use a bushing type die and it appears to get me a more consistent neck tension while neglecting those other methods (.3 MOA with SD around 4 and ES around 10).

It works for me right or wrong.

gpkhill2

FNG
I use powered moly in the necks of new cases or if I ultra sonic clean cases and take all the carbon out of the neck

Dhbwa

WKR
On standard dies If you don’t lube the neck doesn’t the button squeak when you pull it back thru????
I have lubed the necks for that reason alone and prior to seating I swab 99% of it out as it’ll hang up the powder.
OR
Are you asking if you lube the neck entirely for bullet seating???

Brendan

WKR
On standard dies If you don’t lube the neck doesn’t the button squeak when you pull it back thru????
I have lubed the necks for that reason alone and prior to seating I swab 99% of it out as it’ll hang up the powder.
OR
Are you asking if you lube the neck entirely for bullet seating???

The question was in regards to lubing the inside of the neck prior to seating a bullet, not during sizing. e.g. - dry lube neck, then charge powder, then seat. And/or dry lube on bullet. Or, some other lube on inside of neck or bullet (e.g. light coat of sizing wax on bullet) All done to prevent potential cold welding, and aid in better ES.

Dhbwa

WKR
Thanks for the clarification.
Never considered lubing just to seat.

I have never heard of a bullet seizing except in attempting to pull one manually. For me, pulling bullets is very rare...

They will unseize when lit....

Brendan

WKR
Thanks for the clarification.
Never considered lubing just to seat.

I have never heard of a bullet seizing except in attempting to pull one manually. For me, pulling bullets is very rare...

They will unseize when lit....

It's not seizing completely (except in rare circumstances I've only seen pictures of), but it can add extra friction and inconsistency, which can manifest itself of higher velocity spreads. I've seen tests where dry lube results in lower ES because of more consistent neck friction, that's why I do it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I checked yes but I’ll explain.

After sizing I remove the lube. Then I dip the neck in imperial dry neck lube and media, push a mandrel through the neck, to hopefully uniform the inside, and after that I do not re tumble.

I’m not a very experienced reloader, but this is what I came up with for a solution to an expander ball, and hopefully more even neck tension.

DANNY-L

Lil-Rokslider
Dry lube inside seems to go through die much smoother. I use the homemade case lube on the outside.

I use Imperial dry lube. Before I seat the bullet, I chuck a bronze brush in my drill and run it through all of the necks just to make sure they're free of any extra carbon and corn cob media dust that may still be in there.

rayporter

WKR
in BR if you are going to brush the necks you use a nylon brush. using a bronze brush is considered bad juju. - it leaves marks inside the neck [ and you want a smooth neck]
also many feel that the natural carbon is a better lube than what you can add or at least more consistent. i dont brush very often. maybe once a day with a nylon brush after i trim or turn necks at lunch or the end of the day.

no one uses a die with an expander in it so there is no need to lube inside before sizing.
no one cleans cases [ at least not during a match] with more than a wipe down.