Who makes blaze orange merino shirts?

Looking to add some merino wool base layers this year, but I'd really like to find a merino wool shirt in blaze orange if possible. The past two years, I've worn blaze orange wicking t-shirts as my base layer, and have more than once found myself hiking in with just the base layer t-shirt on, even though the temps were in the 30's-40's.

When I'm hiking, I don't want to work up a sweat but I also don't want to have to take an orange vest on and off every time I change layers. I found this blaze orange base t-shirt to be a very efficient solution and would like to add a couple in merino wool if possible.

Thanks for the assist.

Last edited:
Tagged. I was thinking the EXACT same thing the other week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Looking to add some merino wool base layers this year, but I'd really like to find a merino wool shirt in blaze orange if possible. The past two years, I've worn blaze orange wicking t-shirts as my base layer, and have more than once found myself hiking in with just the base layer t-shirt on, even though the temps were in the 30's-40's.

I would just get a regular colored merino shirt and wear your orange wicking t-shirt over them. That won't make you much warmer and you'll have a more durable shirt between you and your pack. I've worn holes in my merino shirts from my pack laying directly on them.

I get hot AF walking in. Even when it is below 10 for alternative season in Missouri, I walk in with my jacket and hoodie tied around my waste. Because of this, I have orange for all my layers for the same reason you cited.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I get hot AF walking in. Even when it is below 10 for alternative season in Missouri, I walk in with my jacket and hoodie tied around my waste. Because of this, I have orange for all my layers for the same reason you cited.
Yea, I found it to be a great solution last year, but instead of a thin synthetic T-shirt, I'd like to use merino wool. Going to take advantage of the Sierra deal, I think, and see how it does. Here's a picture from last year, during that snowy 1st rifle. Temps were in the 30's when my buddy took that picture and I was trying not to sweat on a hike in to a saddle 2 miles from the truck. Paid off too since we sat the rest of the evening watching that saddle and I put 4 layers on, including that wool Columbia coat you see on my Eberlestock pack.

Yea, I found it to be a great solution last year, but instead of a thin synthetic T-shirt, I'd like to use merino wool. Going to take advantage of the Sierra deal, I think, and see how it does. Here's a picture from last year, during that snowy 1st rifle. Temps were in the 30's when my buddy took that picture and I was trying not to sweat on a hike in to a saddle 2 miles from the truck. Paid off too since we sat the rest of the evening watching that saddle and I put 4 layers on, including that wool Columbia coat you see on my Eberlestock pack.

View attachment 116528

Yep. That’s me too...100%.

I can’t do short sleeve though because my arms get itchy from the temp difference. I’ve almost considered getting some type of fleece arm covers...maybe make some...because my arms don’t sweat. It’s just my torso.

I have one from Ice Breaker that I plan on using this year. Like most of you, I want to have performance capable "orange" clothing as well, not just some simple vest I have to wear to be within the regs. I have an orange puffy that I use already, but it's not fun to walk in.

OP
Newtosavage
I have one from Ice Breaker that I plan on using this year. Like most of you, I want to have performance capable "orange" clothing as well, not just some simple vest I have to wear to be within the regs. I have an orange puffy that I use already, but it's not fun to walk in.
I have orange wicking t-shirts (above), an orange down puffy and an orange rain jacket. That covered probably 80% of my hunting, even in that really cold week last year. Sure was nice to not have to screw with a orange vest all the time.

I grew up bowhunting, and the little bit of rifle I've done was in a state that doesn't require orange on private property, so all this orange is actually fairly new to me. With a little creativity, it's not nearly as much a burden as I used to think it was.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Funny...

I love first lite's stuff and asked them this. Apparently we're in too much of a minority in the market to make a good business case for an orange line.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I'd not seen their stuff before. Looks nice!

From glancing through the men's collection, the only orange pieces I saw were beanies. C'est la vie!

OP
Newtosavage
Funny...

I love first lite's stuff and asked them this. Apparently we're in too much of a minority in the market to make a good business case for an orange line.
I'm actually pretty stunned at how few hunting apparel companies offer orange base layers. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

OP
Newtosavage
Pulled the trigger on a couple orange Smartwool shirts. Will report back when they arrive.

Also found an orange UnderArmour mid-layer (not wool though) on clearance at Cabelas, so I have my first two layers taken care of now, which will really help when I'm on the move.