Who makes blaze orange merino shirts?

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled the trigger on a couple orange Smartwool shirts. Will report back when they arrive.

Also found an orange UnderArmour mid-layer (not wool though) on clearance at Cabelas, so I have my first two layers taken care of now, which will really help when I'm on the move.

I won't get to try mine on until I get back CONUS, but SmartWool all pretty much fits the same. I have a light kryptek orange shirt as well, but it's more of a UPF+ rated shirt for fishing-weight, not something I could wear as an outer layer. Maybe Kuiu will take notice?

I guess, one question to ask: how many states don't require Blaze for rifle season? I know my home state, MI, does. And I'm 99% positive WY does (where I'm off to next). MD and VA do.

Might Smartwool base later from Sierra arrived this weekend. It is itchy. Very itchy. It is also not bright enough orange. What I have noticed if that the orange does not pop in the light, it will appear like a light brown (i.e. deer color) in low light and actually be quite dangerous.

I’ll be sending it back.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a Smartwool short sleeve T-shirt in blaze orange and it is a true hunters orange. It’s a merino blend and very lightweight. I love it. But it’s a couple of years old now, so I don’t know if you can still find them. It’s also held up for me a lot better than some full merino tees I have from Icebreaker, which shredded up under my pack straps.

OP
Newtosavage
It appears as though smartwool may be phasing out their orange. I wonder what is behind that decision.

I guess I'll see if mine looks the way GAF described, then make a decision.

It appears as though smartwool may be phasing out their orange. I wonder what is behind that decision.

I guess I'll see if mine looks the way GAF described, then make a decision.
It may be for the reason mentioned above where it's not a true blaze orange?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
So, I pulled mine out to look at it, and it’s a ringer with the sleeves a burnt orange the way @GunsAreFun described, but the rest of the shirt is a true blaze orange. And I don’t find it to be scratchy at all, but that might be personal preference or different material. Not sure. Like I said, mine is a merino blend. It’s also super light with little perforation holes throughout the back panel. I think it was made for runners.

So, I pulled mine out to look at it, and it’s a ringer with the sleeves a burnt orange the way @GunsAreFun described, but the rest of the shirt is a true blaze orange. And I don’t find it to be scratchy at all, but that might be personal preference or different material. Not sure. Like I said, mine is a merino blend. It’s also super light with little perforation holes throughout the back panel. I think it was made for runners.

@Cng can you post a pic? Are you saying your sleeves and torso are different colors? Sounds like we got different shirts.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'll play devils advocate - I want my expensive hunting gear to also be useful chasing birds, turkeys, ducks, and predators. Blaze doesn't work there, and blaze with print on it that breaks up your outline is illegal in most states, which means for bowhunting I'd prefer my pieces be camo too. When big game rifle hunting requires it to be legal, a super thin vest and hat doesn't bother me.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a photo of the shirt I have. It’s Smartwool PhD brand. The tag says 56% merino and 44% polyester. You should be able to see the perforations on the back panel in the close up photo of the tag area.

Additionally, here’s a photo of the shirt next to some of my hunter’s orange. It’s pretty darn close to the same color as the mesh vest. I don’t think anyone in the woods would say it wasn’t blaze orange.

Attachments

• E5910491-B799-498D-A599-31B8B9AF45F1.jpeg
    E5910491-B799-498D-A599-31B8B9AF45F1.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 17
  • EAC89C0D-2C98-452C-9926-C0CEA6F78AD0.jpeg
    EAC89C0D-2C98-452C-9926-C0CEA6F78AD0.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2F46246E-F2C7-4B5E-8272-5DFB6DAA49B3.jpeg
    2F46246E-F2C7-4B5E-8272-5DFB6DAA49B3.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 18
Here’s a photo of the shirt I have. It’s Smartwool PhD brand. The tag says 56% merino and 44% polyester. You should be able to see the perforations on the back panel in the close up photo of the tag area.

Additionally, here’s a photo of the shirt next to some of my hunter’s orange. It’s pretty darn close to the same color as the mesh vest. I don’t think anyone in the woods would say it wasn’t blaze orange.

Thanks for posting pics.

Those reflective strips might not be good for game hunting. In fact, a lot of synthetic blaze stuff is pretty very reflective for hunting purposes, but yes good for other hunters to see you. It’s a bit of an enigma...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, for sure. Like I said, it’s a running shirt. I wear it as a base layer mostly all season long, but I always have something over it. The only time it sees light is when it’s still fairly hot and I’m hiking in somewhere or hiking out. In rifle season, ironically, it’s usually too cold to just where the shirt. Luckily mesh is legal in my state, so I leave a mesh vest and reversible beanie in my pack. Between the t-shirt, the vest and beanie, I’m always covered. (I’ve forgotten about youth rifle season on a public land hunt before!)

Yeah, for sure. Like I said, it’s a running shirt. I wear it as a base layer mostly all season long, but I always have something over it. The only time it sees light is when it’s still fairly hot and I’m hiking in somewhere or hiking out. In rifle season, ironically, it’s usually too cold to just where the shirt. Luckily mesh is legal in my state, so I leave a mesh vest and reversible beanie in my pack. Between the t-shirt, the vest and beanie, I’m always covered. (I’ve forgotten about youth rifle season on a public land hunt before!)

I actually have a dayglow orange running shirt too (I use it for summer biking) but it’s meant to sweat and breathe in, so it won’t keep me warm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
My Smartwool "bright orange" 250 shirts came in today from Sierra.

They look great to me! I ordered size L as that's what size shirt I normally wear, and they fit perfect. The sleeves are even long enough for my gorilla arms.

I may have my wife cut the sleeves on one shirt down to short sleeve, but these things sure seem nice to me.

The color looks fine. Bright orange, just like the label says. I have zero concerns about the color after seeing them in person. All in all a great buy IMO.

I'm going to look for a 150 version next, for when it's really warm.

OP
Newtosavage

I really like that shirt. Might have to find a few of them.

OP
Newtosavage
I'll play devils advocate - I want my expensive hunting gear to also be useful chasing birds, turkeys, ducks, and predators. Blaze doesn't work there, and blaze with print on it that breaks up your outline is illegal in most states, which means for bowhunting I'd prefer my pieces be camo too. When big game rifle hunting requires it to be legal, a super thin vest and hat doesn't bother me.
I completely understand that logic. The only time I need orange is when I'm hunting Colorado during ML or rifle season, where I've found that it to be incredibly convenient to have all-orange layers.