Who makes light weight base layer with hand pocket?

I am switching to a thumb trigger release this year but am trying to figure out where to keep it that is easily accessible while hiking. I was curious if anyone made a light weight base shirt with or without a hood that has a kangaroo pocket like on a hoodie sweat shirt. I have issues getting it out of my pants pocket. I have thought of wearing a release pouch on my pack but if I drop the pack I am out of luck.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
Kuiu Strongfleece. 210 non-hooded, 260 hooded. Love them for the pockets. Easy to warm hands around camp.

OP
F
Sitka Fanatic.
Kuiu Strongfleece. 210 non-hooded, 260 hooded. Love them for the pockets. Easy to warm hands around camp.

How do these layers compare to the KUIU Peloton 240? Are they lighter, equal or heavier?

I hunted elk last September for the first time and the temperature was 40-50 when we woke up with highs of 88-91 every day we were there. I run hot and just work a short sleeve and long sleeve T shirt to start the day and was stripping the long sleeve off within the first hour. I wore a wrist strap release this year so it wasn't an issue but i need something lighter than the Peloton 240 jacket for sure under those conditions. If it's cooler I am confident I have the layers figured out that will do what I am concerned with carrying the hand held release with easy access.

ChrisAU

WKR
While technically the 210 is lighter than the 240 I do believe the 210 is warmer than the 240. I’ve had both.

Clarence

WKR
The 260 has a dwr treatment. Love the pocket placement above my pack belt. It may replace my R1 hoody in my late season kit. Not definite yet. Not totally loving the fit on the hood. Doesn't turn with me the way some do.

OP
F
I have the Peloton 240 after speaking with a Rep recommending it as an outer layer for early season and a mid layer later and trying it on at the Harrisburg Pa show a couple of weeks ago,

Clarence

WKR
Apologies for not reading the O.p. better. The strong fleece 260 is not a lightweight base layer. The pockets on it would fit for what you are looking for. Not sure if they have lighter peices with that pocket configuration.