Who makes the “Best” BDC reticle for hunting?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I get why dialing a scope is beneficial, especially when your target is oblivious to anything around it. The scenario I am well acquainted with is you range the animal at 273 yds, then before you touch off he moves another 142 yds for some reason or another, maybe because he is running up a canyon or something. You can shoot, but only after you reset your crosshair.

Problem is, he's about to crest over a ridge now and stops just long enough for you to shoot, but can only do so after you range and rezero. With a BDC, you know all you have to do is put your 400 yd mark just below his back and let it fly. The additional 3 to 5 seconds to rezero may very well cost you that 195" muley.

Same principle as a slider sight in archery. It has cost me too many animals in the past...

It takes less then 3 seconds to spin a turret to 415 yards which is 2.4 mil on my 6.5 creedmoor. If your not ranging at those distances IMO you shouldn't be shooting either. It takes longer to figure out my bdc and holdover middlepoint at those yardages then it does to spin and squeeze.

I ran bdc for alot of year. Kentucky windage and holdovers worked ok. IMO past 300 yards its not the right way to do it though.

It takes less then 3 seconds to spin a turret to 415 yards which is 2.4 mil on my 6.5 creedmoor. If your not ranging at those distances IMO you shouldn't be shooting either. It takes longer to figure out my bdc and holdover middlepoint at those yardages then it does to spin and squeeze.

I ran bdc for alot of year. Kentucky windage and holdovers worked ok. IMO past 300 yards its not the right way to do it though.

At the end of the day, know your rifle. Nothing else matters.

Dobermann

WKR
Apols for the slight threadromancy, but here's a short video that covers some of the issues in this thread ... not all of them, but a quick overview for those who might be new to this question, just in case it's helpful:

BDC Reticle - Why we don't use them

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah if anyone uses it like he is suggesting, they're an idiot
Apols for the slight threadromancy, but here's a short video that covers some of the issues in this thread ... not all of them, but a quick overview for those who might be new to this question, just in case it's helpful:

BDC Reticle - Why we don't use them

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Nikon BDC works well if you have time, patience, ammo. The calculator (Nikon SpotOn) does save a little time and ammo in getting you on paper. Of course, you’ll have to vary your target distance to get the exact distance for each detent or circle. This is barrier for most people as you can not do so at a public range. I’ve used BDC, mrad scopes, and dial scopes over the years.
I now keep it simple and calculate/verify maximum point blank range of my load for the game I’m hunting. For most of my guns, that’s around 350 yd. Anything beyond that range, I either get closer, hold over, or not take a shot.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
Dont rely on BDC reticles. Get a scope with turrets and learn to dial or hold for different yardages and windage