Who makes the “Best” BDC reticle for hunting?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
yes Nikon makes one. Nikon also has an app that you plug in your caliber, ammo, and muzzle velocity and it shows where each recticle mark will hit. Here is what mine looks like for my 300wsm. And this is a FFP scope does no matter the magnification it will be the same

but then do the hash marks on the reticle have all sorts of random or non linear numbers??? What I mean is that if it’s 100 yards at the cross hairs, then 177 at the first mark and 236 at the next mark etc etc, I get it, it stays the same throughout the power rangers of the scope but I’d rather just have a plain crosshair scope on a rifle who’s use will be within tenges I can compensate myself or a mil/MOA system.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
but then do the hash marks on the reticle have all sorts of random or non linear numbers??? What I mean is that if it’s 100 yards at the cross hairs, then 177 at the first mark and 236 at the next mark etc etc, I get it, it stays the same throughout the power rangers of the scope but I’d rather just have a plain crosshair scope on a rifle who’s use will be within tenges I can compensate myself or a mil/MOA system.

Prezactly. I’m sure someone will get upset with this, however the whole concept of BDC reticles is that they are “easy, intuitive, and straight forward”, requiring little to no long range shooting skill. It’s a lie.

“IF” the marks land exactly on 100/200/300/400/500/etc under the actual environmental conditions than yes, it is intuitive. At least for drop. Not for wind. How people are getting all these shots at game without wind is beyond me. In the last week we’ve had a 1.5 mil wind hold on an antelope at 321 yards, and multiple .8-1.2 mil wind at 200 yards....

Holds such as these-

Are not intuitive, and despite what people here will say, I have never seen a single person be able to use something like the above quickly or correctly on animals in between marks.

You guys think you’re going the easy route with BDC reticles. You’re not. I shoot and see shot thousands upon thousands of rounds a year with BDC reticles from people that are not long range shooters. I also do the same with mil based reticles. Hit rates, speed to learn the system, and application in field conditions are way higher and faster for the mil users. It’s also not a thing to adjust your trajectory to become a BDC with mils.

Almost all rifles can have there drops look like this-

100- crosshair
200- .5
300- 1 mil
400- 2 mil
500- 3 mil

Additionally mils have a way to make wind holds that BDC and MOA do not.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It's a wonder people can even kill shit at all, never the right equipment or mind set.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The thread title is “the best BDC”.

What is your experience been with all of the mentioned BDC reticles, along with mil and MOA based ones in field shooting?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never repelled out of a Black hawk in the middle of night to shoot thousands of does in West Texas if that's what your asking. I don't even know anyone who has

Plenty of ways to hold for anything but it's no secret it has to be repeatable or it's just guessing. Sometimes guessing works sometimes it doesn't.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Plenty of ways to hold for anything but it's no secret it has to be repeatable or it's just guessing. Sometimes guessing works sometimes it doesn't.

Ignoring your passive aggressive deflection,....

Again- “What is your experience been with all of the mentioned BDC reticles, along with mil and MOA based ones in field shooting?”

It’s not a trick question, and I’m not trying to argue. You have taken issue with what I say multiple times, yet you have not offered any counter based on experience. I’m asking for that counter argument. Since you do have an issue with it, do you have experience with these reticles (any of them?) with multiple chamberings, bullets, and environments shooting or hunting animals?

zankuleg

FNG
I’m running vortex vipers on all my hunting rigs with no complaints. Pst hs-t and an hs. Really like the bdc reticle on the hs model. Super fast holdover for hunting out to 600 yards and it doesn’t break the bank. I think they are around $500.

Almost all rifles can have there drops look like this-

100- crosshair
200- .5
300- 1 mil
400- 2 mil
500- 3 mil

That's at exactly one zoom setting for first focal plane scope, right? You can do the same thing with BDC, just have to use the right zoom.

Not saying you are wrong about mils, but for my BDC scope I use a field chart and estimate to nearest 100. For example, on my current rifle my point blank range is 270 yards and at 6X here is my BDC chart. All are close enough to the nearest 100 to use exactly like above.

BDC 1 304 yards
BDC 1 410 yards
BDC 1 499 yards
BDC 1 615 yards
POST 708 yards

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That's at exactly one zoom setting for first focal plane scope, right? You can do the same thing with BDC, just have to use the right zoom.

Not saying you are wrong about mils, but for my BDC scope I use a field chart and estimate to nearest 100. For example, on my current rifle my point blank range is 270 yards and at 6X here is my BDC chart. All are close enough to the nearest 100 to use exactly like above.

BDC 1 304 yards
BDC 1 410 yards
BDC 1 499 yards
BDC 1 615 yards
POST 708 yards

Mike,

That’s at all powers being a front focal plane scope.

What the bullet and velocity and what environmentals? Also what scope and reticle are you using that you want to be at 6x to be correct? And why would you want it to only be correct at one power (that’s like your speedometer only being correct at 60mph, but wrong at every other speed)?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Learn how to use a Mil or MOA reticle. Not to mention it works all the time In all environments. Then when you want to move up to dialing, it’s pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike,

That’s at all powers being a front focal plane scope.

What the bullet and velocity and what environmentals? Also what scope and reticle are you using that you want to be at 6x to be correct? And why would you want it to only be correct at one power (that’s like your speedometer only being correct at 60mph, but wrong at every other speed)?

Bear with me. A novice when it comes to scopes but was hoping to compare the optics for both BDC and MIL reticles. I had first and second FP backwards. My scopes are inexpensive SFP scopes. So BDC numbers change with each zoom setting. But isn't that what happens with mil-dot reticles on SFP scopes as well?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Bear with me. A novice when it comes to scopes but was hoping to compare the optics for both BDC and MIL reticles. I had first and second FP backwards. My scopes are inexpensive SFP scopes. So BDC numbers change with each zoom setting. But isn't that what happens with mil-dot reticles on SFP scopes as well?

Yes sir, SFP will only subtend correct on one power regardless of which reticle system is used.

Thats the benefit of FFP- everything is correct regardless of power.

Yes sir, SFP will only subtend correct on one power regardless of which reticle system is used.

Thats the benefit of FFP- everything is correct regardless of power.
The marks are so small until about 15x(maybe 12x) that they are practically unusable below that. For ffp Scopes...

I'm considering the sig Sauer bdx range finder and scope setup for the rem 700 LR 7rm, seems to be a nice setup a and a little easier to use as long as your ballistics are correct.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m asking for that counter argument.

If your shooting is repeatable and your reference marks are accurate then you can make adjustments for impacts (the whole point of this type reticle). Your limited by reference marks the more you have the more precise but then they can be cluttering the target in the reticle. So it really depends on what the shooters acceptable amount of error is.

Yes I've shot the Vortex, Leupold, and Nikon BDC reticles.

The marks are so small until about 15x(maybe 12x) that they are practically unusable below that. For ffp Scopes...

I shoot mil/mil scopes. My main scope is a fixed 6 power that I shoot at 1000+ yards on the regular. I also have a 3-9x but I usually leave it on 6 power too. If someone told me I would only be able to shoot long range with a 15x second focal plane scope, I’d ask if they were high. 😄

Mt Al

WKR
I just like the BDC reticle from Nikon. I have had some good success with it.

Same. 7mm-08 mine goes 200, 270,350,430...and so on. But I haven't practiced beyond that so I don't shoot beyond that. Amazing how close the SpotOn was to real life. Range the critter, get the closest circle and adjust without over thinking. Boom.

I have two good friends who use MIL/twist, etc, and love it. If and when I buy another scope, may go that route. In the mean time, no reason to change.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

What FFP scopes and reticles are you talking about? There are thousands of 4x and 6x FFP scopes being used every day.

If your shooting is repeatable and your reference marks are accurate then you can make adjustments for impacts (the whole point of this type reticle). Your limited by reference marks the more you have the more precise but then they can be cluttering the target in the reticle. So it really depends on what the shooters acceptable amount of error is.

I’m not really sure what you are trying to say here?