Who makes the best down insulated pant?

My clothing combination has been fine tuned over the past few years and the only thing I need now is a pair of insulated outer pants.

I'd prefer something that I can throw on after a hard hike to sit and glass for a few hours or use back east in a tree stand. Do you typically wear them as the outer layer or under another pair of pants?

I'd love some feedback from those of you who have used the offerings from First lite, Kuiu, and Sitka. I've owned clothing from each and have been happy with all of it.

I think it depends on what you define as “best”. For me, down pants are for backpacking so I prioritize weight. My Kuiu ultras have been perfect and are light enough that I can bring them on most trips. Full length zips are a must imo.

For treestand use...they work but are not ideal. To wear pants over them the regular pants would probably need to be a size above your normal. Too uncomfortable otherwise. I have worn the ultras over my pants and actually killed my biggest whitetail buck wearing them...but it was super windy so noise wasn’t a concern. I was still pretty cold actually...ideal treestand down would prob be warmer than the ultras, thicker face and quieter material. Basically it completely depends on your priorities..

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the kuiu ultras and they are a good pant for very specific circumstances. They will just knock the chill off, I carry them early season when at altitude where it could be 20-30 in morning and 75-85 during day and ounces count. I’m looking to pick up a more substantial pair and probably going with Feathered Friends Helios or Volant. Like poster above said, depends on your needs.

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Outdoor Research Tradecraft pants. I just picked them up on sale for $130 shipped during OR's spring sale. Way better than my Kuiu down pants. They are warm!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yep have to agree I tried all 3 big brands and just picked up the OR tradecrafts. These are much better down pants than the Kuiu, FL, and Sitka variants. Love the reinforced seat and knees as well. Wait for a sale and snag them! I got them for 50% off.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
I've not tried very many but I'm really happy with my FL.

I'd recommend a woobie, or bibs for whitetail hunting. When weight doesn't matter you might as well be warm enough for a very long sit. My FL unpronoucables are warm enough for western hunting, but not great for a truly sedentary 8 hour sit

406unltd

WKR
Kifaru hands down. The rest aren’t durable enough in the seat and knees.

chindits

WKR
When I break out the down pants it’s either in camp or survival mode glassing on late season hunts. I always wear them under my rain gear as I am trying to conserve my body heat as much as possible. I never wear them alone as an outer layer and I never sleep in them. Goosefeet makes them as custom as you want from sizing and fill weight to shell material. I think I’m on year 10 with the same pair. I only backpack hunt so weight matters even in negative 20.

Outdoor Research Tradecraft pants. I just picked them up on sale for $130 shipped during OR's spring sale. Way better than my Kuiu down pants. They are warm!

Seems to me like they are a completely different pant than the kuius. Primaloft insulation and much thicker shell...I’m guessing they weigh around a pound?

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I completely agree with a few others input on the Kuiu, I've had a pair for a few years now. They are decent for western hunting, back at camp, or under rain pants, but you are not getting a lot of warmth from them.
For treestand hunting which is my main use they just don't add much, the lack of fill weight it seems if your not standing no matter the size or how careful you are if you have pants over top you lose most of your loft.

I'm going to get a pair of Feathered Friends Helios and give them a try.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Under Armour Ridge Reaper down pants are on eBay new w/tags for $75-$100 right now. There were several threads on here back around thanksgiving when UA had them on sale for $125 ish. 16 oz w/800fp down and full side zips. People said they're closer to the Kuiu SD Pro's than Ultra's. Definitely a solid budget option to consider.

I love my MH compressor pants. Synthetic but very warm and durable. Plus I don't worry about where I sit with synthetic.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Yep have to agree I tried all 3 big brands and just picked up the OR tradecrafts. These are much better down pants than the Kuiu, FL, and Sitka variants. Love the reinforced seat and knees as well. Wait for a sale and snag them! I got them for 50% off.
How's the fit on the OR puffy pant? I'm a L in some stuff and an XL in others. I was thinking about ordering XL

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Are you looking for something rugged and waterproof or just insulated pants that you can zip on?

I have several pairs of down puffy pants by various manufacturers, but my best/favorite ones are my GooseFeet Gear customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjh360

FNG
Under Armour Ridge Reaper down pants are on eBay new w/tags for $75-$100 right now. There were several threads on here back around thanksgiving when UA had them on sale for $125 ish. 16 oz w/800fp down and full side zips. People said they're closer to the Kuiu SD Pro's than Ultra's. Definitely a solid budget option to consider.
Just picked up a pair of these at Ross yesterday for 19.99

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How's the fit on the OR puffy pant? I'm a L in some stuff and an XL in others. I was thinking about ordering XL

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I always account for layering with my down jacket and pants. I’d go for XL. I’m a Medium Tall in generic sizing and ordered the Large. They fit good over layers. Would be a little big if just a single base layer underneath.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider

What do the Tradecrafts weigh vs. the big three brands? I currently own the KUIU Ultras but was looking for something a bit warmer.