Who makes the perfect pair of gaiters (for me)?

Squamch

WKR
Items of importance, in order of importance;
1-Water resistance/waterproofness
2- Quiet. Brushed face, or something that doesn't go ZWICKZWICKZWICK as I'm tryin' to get my sneak on.
3- longevity. Last set are falling apart after 3 years of use. They were cheap from a local outdoors store though.

Who likes what, and why?

I live on southern Vancouver Island, coastal BC. It rains. A lot. When it isn't raining during hunting season, it was a couple days before. I hunt from the truck, from a motorcycle, on foot, and out of a backpack for 4-5 days at a time. I hunt sub alpine bogs, to open alpine rock, river bottoms, and everything in between. Boots are Lowa Tibet GTX, and I'm a tall, skinny prick.

I don't think any other info about use is necessary but if it is, say as much, and I'll add it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunt in similar country north Idaho and northwest Montana always wet🤣 if your out a lot and in brush country and wearing gaiters a high percentage of the days my experience says you will have difficulty finding gaiters in those conditions to last more than 2-3 yrs….prior to kuiu I wore kenetreks and a set would last 1 yr and they were done….kuiu came along and their gaiters is much improved over the kenetrek design….they stay up first and foremost, 2. they do an excellent job of keeping your boots and pant legs dry for an extended period of time….that being said if I’m hiking all day in water saturated jungles I will eventually get wet along with everything else on me…3 they are durable but after two seasons it is typically a new set..I would say this is 100 days in the snow, brush, rain rocks you name it….lower Level clothing and gear, boots, gaiters and pant legs take a lot of abuse in bad country part of the game we enjoy…kuiu would be a good option to try.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with these but I am most likely going to try the new SG gaiters. Heres a review on them I was just reading. Not crazy about the snow balling up on that under strap though.

Venom One

WKR
For durability, the Kuiu Yukon's are tough to beat IMO. They definitely fit the waterproof requirement. They're not fleece quiet, but they're not loud or swishy/crinkly by any means. I use them for late season in WA State and don't notice any noise.

tracker12

WKR
OR Crocs if you want a quality pair that will last. I have worn them for many years and noise have never been a problem

Last edited:

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at some Rab stuff and came across their gaiters. I think I'm going to give the muztag a try. I got some badlands ones on a super sale and they lasted about 20 days. I'm sending them in for warranty work. The badlands fit great and seemed pretty quiet. They kept me dry but the durability doesn't seem to be there. The stitching holding the velcro is coming apart.

For durability, the Kuiu Yukon's are tough to beat IMO. They definitely fit the waterproof requirement. They're not fleece quiet, but they're not loud or swishy/crinkly by any means. I use them for late season in WA State and don't notice any noise.
my choice too for his needs, though i have been wearing the kutana or peax more lately

Kuiu Yukons here best out there I have found. One pair is 6-7 years other is 2-3 but only worn sparingly

Seeknelk

WKR
Kuiu Yukon are what I went to from several pair of kennetreks. They are better in every way except slightly noisier. Kennetrek camo have a fleece type quieter outer if thats high on your list. But not as durable.
Tracking high strung whitetails I wish the kuiu were quieter . Going back to wool everything , pack included for them buggers. But kuiu for the big tough country for sure.

How does the Yukon compare to the Kutana? Is it different fabric? Does it have the reinforced lower brush-guard like the Yukon?
yeah, different material, it's reinforced on the lower, but they are a slightly lighter duty, and streamlined gaiter... they are a little more form fitting, and less robust. the material is a little more noisy too, but that hasn't been an issue for me in the real world. for how light they are, they are holding up really well, but the yukon is a more substantial gaiter