Who runs a Weaver K6?

I had one of the newer K6's (aluminum) on a .308 years ago and always regret having sold that scope. I recall it being incredibly lightweight, bright and sharp, especially considering the price.

Who here runs a K6, and if so, what's your zero?

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I like fixed powers a lot. I've got a 4x Leupold on my main hunting rifle. I've got an old browning hi power rifle in .270 that needs new Optics. Definitely thought about getting the Weaver K6, or the Leupold 6x36 with LR reticle.
These days there are variable power options almost as light, almost as affordable and presumably almost as consistent and reliable. So I think most people just don't see any reason to not get a variable these days.
I don't feel a fixed power scope is a huge handicap for the type of hunting I typically do, and I like the theoretical and practical advantages of a fixed power. So I still use a couple. Maybe I'm missing out, maybe not.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
That Leupy 6x36 with the LR reticle has tempted me many times.

I think you're right about the variables getting to the point where they make more sense though. I just put a VX-2 2-7x33 on my primary whitetail rifle, and it weighs the same as that Weaver K6 at 10 oz.

But for a dedicated mountain rifle, like my stainless Tikka, I'm giving the K6 some serious consideration. For the ranges I plan to shoot (no more than 400 yards) I would not feel handicapped at all with it.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Had a chance to make several trips to the range with the K6 on the Tikka T3 7mm-08, and it's staying put. Zero'd at 200, the tip of the bottom post gives me 400 yards, and 300 is halfway between the crosshair and bottom post for my favorite load in that rifle.

Image is super clear and I like the crosshair better than the Leupy. Doesn't hurt that it's 3 oz. lighter either.

If you haven't tried a K6, you may want to give it a look. Natchez was clearing them out for just $130 or so.

Mac7

WKR
Had a Weaver K6 and it was OK. Had my kid look at both on her rifle and she picked the Leupold 6x36. Eye relief was better on the Leupold for us. I almost kept it for me but just wasn't as easy to get behind for me as the Leupold.

Not sure the K6 is lighter though, have 2 6x36 Leupolds sitting here and both weigh just under 10 oz's.

If you like it that's all that matters. Sounds like a good deal too. Almost tempted to pick up another one and give it another shot, but just got a SWFA 6x to try out.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Had a Weaver K6 and it was OK. Had my kid look at both on her rifle and she picked the Leupold 6x36. Eye relief was better on the Leupold for us. I almost kept it for me but just wasn't as easy to get behind for me as the Leupold.

Not sure the K6 is lighter though, have 2 6x36 Leupolds sitting here and both weigh just under 10 oz's.

If you like it that's all that matters. Sounds like a good deal too. Almost tempted to pick up another one and give it another shot, but just got a SWFA 6x to try out.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was comparing it to the 3-9x40 Leupold I had previously. The K6 is clearer, lighter and I like the reticle better. I'm sure if I had a chance to use the Leupold 6x36 I'd like it too.

I just got a k6 from natchez last week they have them on sale right now I put mine on a model 70 and am planning on sighting it in soon. Really clear scope Japan made which surprised me and i like their duplex just wish it had more eye relief.

Jeffp

FNG
Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered one as they are still on sale. My dad had a k-4 for years and it was great.

OP
Newtosavage
I just got a k6 from natchez last week they have them on sale right now I put mine on a model 70 and am planning on sighting it in soon. Really clear scope Japan made which surprised me and i like their duplex just wish it had more eye relief.
I've had nothing but good luck with optics made in Japan. The optics of the classic K-series is consistent with that experience. IMO the eye relief is not much less in practice than my Leupold it replaced (vx-1 3-9x40) and still better than other scopes I've used by Nikon, Burris, etc. In fact, comparing side-by-side with the Burris Fullfield on my son's Tikka, the eye relief on the K6 is quite a bit better, with a larger eyebox. The Burris glass is very sharp, but the K6 is just as sharp, and brighter to my eyes (with both set at 6x).

I was curious how it would work at 300 yards and I have no problem at all aiming very precisely with the K6. I like the fact that the reticle doesn't cover as much of the target - at least on the range. That might change in the field, but I still think it's a great reticle. Falls somewhere between the standard Leupold duplex and their wide duplex, which is just about right to me.

jkingrph

FNG
I graduated high school back in '63. Dad won a Win 70 featherweight in 30-06 in a sales contest and it was my present. I wanted a scope so we went down to the local gun shop. I was thinking a K 4 until the owner handed me a fixed power Leupold. I handed the Weaver back and said I'll take the Leupold. We put it in a set of Weaver pivot mounts, so i could swing it over and use the irons quickly, Needed that feature once in 55 years. About 10-12 years ago attended a gun show and picked up a nice Savage 99 in 300 Savage , with a Weaver K4, steel tube, and a Lee dot reticule. Nice scope, nothing wrong but optics are not as bright as the old Leupold.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
one of my favorite scopes is a weaver super slam. the optics are damn good on that sucker. i also have a leupy 4x rimfire, and a leupy fx6. both are nice, but i believe the weaver is every bit as bright.

my buddy just deployed and is headed to ass-ghan-is stan....and his boy needs a scope for his 22. dad didnt want to spend the cash on it (wifey doesnt approve). well while dad is away, and i am going to shitcan the scope on that kid’s 22, and replace it with a weaver fixed power. probably going to go with the k6.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I was struggling to find this scope in stock, until coming across this thread. Just ordered my 6x from natchez.

OP
Newtosavage
Anyone want to sell the scope they bought? I can't find a k6 anywhere now.
NOPE. LOL Sorry. Keep an eye out on FeeBay. The new ones show up there from time to time. Like I said, I should have bought 3 when I had the chance. At $130 ea. that was an absolute steal.

That 6 MOA duplex reticle is just fantastic. Hope you find one!