Who shoots 125gr BY?

D_Eightch

WKR
Who shoots 125gr BH?

Seems like everywhere I go/look 95% of what's available is 100grain. What's out there that you like that's available in 125?

Last edited:
In my opinion with as many weighted inserts that are available today no real need to shoot 125. Throw 50-75-100 grain inserts up front and shoot 100s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. I have to shoot 175 and heavy outserts to get what I want.

You shooting a trad bow? Or you hunting Cape buffalo? Going with the Ashby numbers? Hope
Your shooting a single bevel or those numbers don't mean much.

The perfect arrow for me for anything in NA is 450 grains 11-15% foc with a good broad head.

You shooting a trad bow? Or you hunting Cape buffalo? Going with the Ashby numbers? Hope
Your shooting a single bevel or those numbers don't mean much.

The perfect arrow for me for anything in NA is 450 grains 11-15% foc with a good broad head.

Helix broadheads on x-impacts out of a 70# Hoyt carbon spyder. About 510g. It's hard to get much foc out of a 29" arrow with 100g BHs.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All I shoot are 125's. Currently I have Shuttle T's, Strikers, Striker Mags, Wac'ems (both 3 and 4 blade), original Silverflames, Ramcats, NAP Spitfires, and GR Fatal Steels. But I've had Slick Tricks, Phatheads, Buzzcuts, Montecs, Exodus, Rage, Thunderheads, Muzzy's, Ulmer Edge, and some I'm sure I can't even remember trying.

Beendare

WKR
I shoot a few different setups for hunting both compound and recurve. I mostly shoot the VPA 150's....why wouldn't you want more steel on the working end of your arrow? BTW, hold one of those in your hand to really appreciate the head.

I do shoot a 125g when my recurve doesn't spine out with the 150's. I think the Magnus Buzzcut 125's are one of the best inexpensive head out there.

Trial153

WKR
I will always chose a lower profile 100 grain heads verse the 125 grain counterparts, I just add weight to inserts to get were I want to be.

I've shot 125s for the past 4 years. Slick trick magnums, nap Killzone, and Magnus stingers. For a fixed head the Magnus are hard to beat and they're customer service is unbeatable. You would think for a head that size it might be hard to tune but they flew dead on with my field points.

MattB

WKR
I've been shooting 125 gr. BH's for 15 years or more. I'd rather have the meat in the BH than the insert, but this is one of the many things in bowhunting where the real benefit is probably greatly overstated.

jmez

WKR
Currently shooting 125 VPA non vented. Really like them. Tough head, they fly well and tune easily. I've always shot 125gr BH's. When I started in archery many years ago that was the lightest head available. Pretty much what everyone used unless shooting traditional. Then came the speed wars and the 100gr BH was born. Since the speed wars are still at the fore front, most everyone now shoots 100gr. and they are far more popular. I never changed.

Which 100gr head has a smaller profile than its 125gr counterpart? Most all of them are the exact same profile and they take weight out of the ferrule. The over all size of the head doesn't change. The replacement blades for all of the fixed models are interchangeable.

With 125 up front to start it is just 25 less grains I have to go looking for with other components.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Which 100gr head has a smaller profile than its 125gr counterpart?

The 100gr Shuttle T is shorter with a smaller cut. The 100gr Ramcat has a smaller cut as well. Probably a few more, but those two come to mind. Oh, and the 100gr Silverflame blades were smaller than the 125's as well.

The ramcat is only a 1/8" difference and it comes from the ferrule being thicker. I have both versions. Food for thought, run a heavy insert on a slightly overspined shaft and have a 100, 125, and 150 gr bh setup depending on specie or season.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot 125g for my entire hunting life. Satellites, Wasp, NAP, Rocky Mnt back in the 80's & 90's with aluminum arrows. Montec, VPA, Helix, Kudu more recently with carbon arrows and 50g brass inserts. Now planning on going up to 150g this season with either the Steel Force 2 blade, single Bevel titanium (technically 145g) and the Cutthroat 150g; we'll see which fly better once I get my Cutthroats to shoot. Of all the Whitetails I've shot in my life I've always had a pass through; haven't yet had the opportunity to shot an elk yet...hopefully this season.

GotDraw?

WKR
Am switching to Iron Will Outfitters 125 grain 2 blade w/bleeder broadheads. I used to use 125g Magnus Stingers.

Iron Will is based in Carbondale, CO-

Iron Will Outfitters - High Quality Broadheads for Bow Hunting

Reason for the switch:

-Iron Will utilizes a very strong, hardened stainless ferrule, much tougher than the mild steel or aluminum used by many other.
-Iron Will uses the best possible blade steel and they make their blades thicker, so they are far more resistant to bending.
-Better steel components yield a far stiffer and tougher overall broadhead assembly.
-Iron Will broadheads come sharp as hell and stropped to a shine from the factory.
-Yes, they cost more, but that cost pales in comparison to the time, effort (training/hunting) and money put into any big game hunt. I do not want to put that much work into a hunt only to potentially lose an animal to a bent ferrule or bent blade that resulted in poor penetration.

No, I do not work for Iron Will, I am just totally blown away by the quality of their product. And FYI, my brother uses their 100g titanium version. Loves them

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
FOC is much more important on the internet than in the field.

Hmmm, all righty then ;-) ...

Notwithstanding the fact that I'd never stand down range from any broadhead, nor the fact that there are many dead deer and elk on the ground from 80 grain and 100 grain broadheads; the real question is, how many animals were lost that would have otherwise died more quickly and been recovered if penetration was even a little better?

Perhaps arrow performance and animal recovery is not so important a question to some folks if they're walking out their back door on the East Coast to shoot a couple thin-skinned, small-boned whitetail does. However, if you've just burned preference points and/or got a ton of time, money and effort invested in chasing a thick skinned, big boned trophy mulie, elk, moose or bear, then I'd rather face the reality that some of us have either had arrows not perform as optimally as possible or know folks that have. Since that is an immutable fact, I prefer to stack the odds in my favor as highly as possible and will put my faith in science and research over bold, sweeping statements. Even if higher FOC only gives me a couple more inches of penetration, those inches might make the difference.

Last edited: