Who Shoots Canted?

Whisky

WKR
On purpose? Anybody other than me feel more natural at full draw with the bow canted?

How did you level out your 3rd axis if you shoot canted? I know with the Hamskea tool it attaches to either the sight extension or riser. That wouldn't work if I set up my 2nd axis with a canted riser.

velvetfvr

WKR
Third axis has to be customized to you. Depending on how you grip will affect third axis. Hope this helps.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
In theory if you set your second axis to show your bubble level to your cant, the hamskea attached to your sight should work for your third axis.

Craig4791

WKR
Have you tried an offset bar? It's pretty common to cant with all of your accessories hanging on one side.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you tried an offset bar? It's pretty common to cant with all of your accessories hanging on one side.

I'm with Craig on this. The offset bracket has solved any canting issues I've had.

Started using one (when needed) in 2,000 and the small weight increase is worth it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365567441526.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365567441526.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 78
OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
I'm canting my bow left. Were you guys also canting left, or right? I've heard of the weight of the accessories pulling the bow right, for a right handed shooter. I've also heard of people canting the bow left to try to balance out that weight. In either case, I would think that offset bar would probably help.

What offset bars are you guys using?

I'm with Craig on this. The offset bracket has solved any canting issues I've had.

Started using one (when needed) in 2,000 and the small weight increase is worth it.

That looks like that would throw a lot of weight forward still (while correcting your cant issue), is there a reason you don't run on out and back at say a 40* angle instead of just left and straight forward?

Mike

OR Archer

WKR
Normally when I see a customer canting their bow its due to a flaw in their form ie their front grip. I have never had issues with canting my bow when its fully loaded with a proper front grip. Might be something for you to consider.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That looks like that would throw a lot of weight forward still (while correcting your cant issue), is there a reason you don't run on out and back at say a 40* angle instead of just left and straight forward?

Mike

That's just what ended up working the best. I have multiple offset/angle brackets and I jack with them tell I find out what option holds on target the best .

rodney482

WKR
Trying to set up a compound to shoot at distance with a cant is just asking for problems.

You want your bow to be as level as possible.

Offset stabs will correct the cant.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Normally when I see a customer canting their bow its due to a flaw in their form ie their front grip. I have never had issues with canting my bow when its fully loaded with a proper front grip. Might be something for you to consider.

Oh I know I got some form issues. Have for quite a few years. :) Awful tough to break old habits. I've been trying to correct/fight it, but it still feels very unnatural to me to hold my bow with the riser dead vertical.

Rodney, what problems would/could arise when setting the bow up with some cant? I would adjust the 2nd axis of my sight so that the pins are completely vertical while the bow is canted, and would use the bubble level to ensure I'm consistent from shot to shot. In my mind nothing would be different than if I was set up to a vertical riser. But I'm wrong quite often. :)

But I will try other options first, before setting the bow up canted. What offset bars work best?

Thanks

Craig4791

WKR
I'm using a B stinger offset bracket. Looks like the same one Aron is using.

I just play around with it by drawing and holding with my eyes closed then getting settled in and opening them. Once I am holding level naturally your good to go.

I still say the best thing you could do whisky, is strip your bow down, back it down to minimum weight, and blind bale shoot for a month and work on NOTHING but form

Most of your problems are derived from your form geometry, fix that, and youll fix a lot.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Coyote Commander can attest to my piss poor form. I think he even went so far as to call me "Humpback" in the past. My release shoulder has never even been close to being in line with the arrow. Old habits die hard, and I never really addressed them years past. I was satisfied with what I was getting, until the last year or so.... Well today at work I decided I would accomplish something for a change, and worked out a few kinks.

I started with my grip.

And then moved onto posture.

In the end I ended up having to move my peep up 1" to work with my new form... Pretty significant change, and I'm sure as time will tell, it was a good move.....I'm open for evaluation as well.

And if you know you have bad form and were stubborn like me, I encourage you to fix it now. The longer you wait the harder it gets.