Who shoots Mathews out west ?

Who is shooting Mathews bows for your western spot and stalk hunts? Elk, moose, etc

Do you prefer a longer ata for those hunts 31 plus? Or do you like the shorter ata for them? 27.28

also does Mathews bow weight discourage you for those long miles out west?

thanks

Fullfan

WKR
My son and I both chase elk with our Mathews, mine is a VXR 28 his is a Triax. 70% of the time we have our bows slung. Weight has never been an issue. We both shot public land OTC bulls the last several years.

Used a VXR 31 this year. Lightest bow I have had setup for western hunting. Used a spot hogg hunter 5 pin, qad rest, and q-lite quiver. No bars of any kind, first I have done that. Just found that the bow worked well for me like that. I definitely prefer a tall riser, but I have said a few times before, several things can be misleading when only looking at ATA. Shoot a few and find what works for you. Lots of good bows out there right now.

Carried in a Montana bow sling most of the time, kept my arms fresh(er).

LostArra

WKR
Bought a used NoCam two years ago for the kind-to-old man-shoulder draw cycle. Three dead elk from SlowCam arrows.

Bow hook on my pack belt so carry weight is not an issue.

marktole

WKR
VXR 28 killed a cow elk and a big mulie buck for me this year. Miss the string angle of a longer bow, but that 28 is just so compact and nice to carry around and stalk with. Weight is no deterrent. If Mathews is what you want and like shooting it, no reason it can't fill the roles you are asking about.

chasewild

WKR
Tried the traverse this spring and by July I sold it and went "back" to an Elite 35. I'll echo what others have said, don't focus on any one spec -- it's how the entire package works for you. I bought the traverse because the 33" ATA was close to my 35 but it was cable stops. I couldn't get it to shoot for sh*t because of the breaking weight on my release. My E35 is one heavy SOB -- but it shoots lights out.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've hunted with the VXR 31.5 this year, making longer shots on elk and caribou. I prefer a heavier, longer bow since I can shoot them better at long range, even though they aren't as nice to carry for all those miles.

Jimbob

WKR
Vertix with 11" front and 8" back bar. Backpack hunted for mountain goats and Stone sheep. The extra weight over my Carbon spyder turbo was well worth it, sold the hoyt and happy with the mathews.

TheViking

WKR
Mathews VXR 31.5
Humped around Wyoming for a week with it. Smoked a bull at 43 yards. Shot 3D all summer with it - drove tacks out to 90 (farthest target). Just shot a Mulie doe out of a tight ground blind, worked just fine, just draw back and check clearances before an animal appears.

MattB

WKR
Sounds like easterners who come out west. Jk

It does amaze me though the regionality of bows. Living in CA you see very few Mathews and lots of Hoyts. Seems to be a similar ratio to other western states. My sense is if you head back east, the ratio flips.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Oregon and also hunt Idaho and Montana mostly for elk. I see lots of Mathews when out and about, probably the most common brand in the elk woods.

I have had a Mathews Q2 XL, a DXT and now a Triax. All have been great bows that shoot smooth and fast enough. Most of my elk are from bugling which often involves a walking shot at ranges less than 20 yards. A few of my elk (especially on late cow hunts) have been standing broadside at 60 yard (give or take 10 yards). The Mathews all were good on the close in shots where a easy smooth draw is key, and on double lunging the 60 yard broadside shot.

Zac

WKR
I shoot VXR 31.5. Very top heavy rig. I run 2.5 oz on 15 in front bar with 12 oz on a 12 in back bar. Probably add another 3 or so oz to the back once I throw the dovetail Spot Hogg on the front.

Sounds like easterners who come out west. Jk

It does amaze me though the regionality of bows. Living in CA you see very few Mathews and lots of Hoyts. Seems to be a similar ratio to other western states. My sense is if you head back east, the ratio flips.

Yeah I live in CO and very few Mathews. Lots and lots of Hoyts and Primes. Beginning to see a lot more Elite,Bowtechs and PSE’s as well. All of them are the 33-35” ata models.

I remember when I lived in Pittsburgh 6 years back it was flipped polar opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt with a Conquest 2 42" axle to axle, bow. Was thinking I'd buy a new one, but I'm old school and buying anything under 35" axle to axle isn't going to happen. I guess I'll upgrade my sights, and call it good.

Dooger

FNG
Tried the traverse this spring and by July I sold it and went "back" to an Elite 35. I'll echo what others have said, don't focus on any one spec -- it's how the entire package works for you. I bought the traverse because the 33" ATA was close to my 35 but it was cable stops. I couldn't get it to shoot for sh*t because of the breaking weight on my release. My E35 is one heavy SOB -- but it shoots lights out.

60# Traverse?

I’m in the same boat with my Silverback. Ordered the lighter springs from Carter and they’re too light. Can’t find the middle.

hodgeman

WKR
I hunted moose this year with a 70# Mathews No-Cam HTX. Worked just fine.

I bought it in 2016 but never chased big game with a bow until this year. I'll likely do it again next year- I could totally nerd out and become an archery geek.