Who snowshoes?

I have a set of black MSR classics that I've used for ten years. I just did a thirteen miler last week on the Olympic coast, there was a ton of snow up there. I try and go every weekend now that the hunting season is over. Sometimes with the family, sometimes with the boys.

merch

FNG
I'm currently using MSR Lighting Ascents. For Christmas I bought my 3 and 6 year old MSR Tykers, they love them. Great way to spend a day with the little ones. As a side note a 3 year old can ride comfortably in a Timberline 2 when their legs play out on the way home.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
Love snowshoeing and alpine touring! For snowshoeing, any boots that are appropriate for the temps and conditions, that fit comfortably and will secure well in the bindings are boots you want to wear; there is nothing special to worry about. If they are comfortable for hiking, chances are they will be just fine. I second the use of poles for the reasons already stated. Just a note on safety- pay attention to avalanche conditions and know that it doesn't always take a slope as steep as we think to be a danger.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
Another consideration for foot wear- pay attention to pinch points and friction points where the bindings meet the boots. Depending on the style of your bindings, you may or may not be able to wear a "soft" boot.

IAHNTR

WKR
I picked up a set of MSR Lightning Flash 25" that were on sale at Scheels. I was a little worried about the binding system that they have on them; the 1 large strap versus the 3 small straps. But, they have worked awesome so far without any slippage and are very light for their size. These are my first pair and it was my first time out this past weekend and I think they worked great. I'm glad I had poles a few times because walking through multi flora and over downed trees is hard enough without snowshoes.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my Cabelas outfitters with 1000 gram insulation. They give me good support and keep my feet warm, though after 6+ hrs buried in wet heavy snow they will start to have some moisture come through or maybe that is just sweat:)