Who used Leupold CDS?

Pgohil

WKR
Who actually is the leupold CDS system as designed with actual load data used to set the turret.

I fear there are too many variables to make it accurate across the board, between elevation, temperature, and weather. Am I missing something?

nobody

WKR
Who actually is the leupold CDS system as designed with actual load data used to set the turret.

I fear there are too many variables to make it accurate across the board, between elevation, temperature, and weather. Am I missing something?
I have one on a 6.5 creedmoor, and for hunting, it's absolutely great. I've tested it out to about 800 yards, and it adjusts accurately as far as MOMD (Minute-of-Mule-Deer) is concerned. I would never use it to compete or if little baby groups were the goal. I talked with Leupold CS when I ordered my custom dial, and they said whatever parameters you give them, you should be able to hit vitals within a certain range of those parameters (I.E. +/- 20 Degrees in Either Direction of your temperature, +/- 2,000 ft in elevation in either direction), and that seems to have held true when I've tested mine. But again, I haven't shot a REALLY long ways with it. I will say, I have loved it as I've been learning to shoot to longer ranges. It has taken out one element of the guess work with learning my adjustments, and has allowed me to concentrate on just shooting. Is it perfect? Nope, not anywhere close. But it's great for hunting and for people just learning to shoot further. Any new rifles I get will get something else for optics, but this has been great for what it is.

amassi

WKR
Your not missing anything, keep the turret in moa and adjust according to changes in environmentals

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Your not missing anything, keep the turret in moa and adjust according to changes in environmentals

When I punch in numbers on ballistic calculators I get a POI change of about 2 inches at 500 yards with 65 degrees of temperature change and 8000 feet of elevation change. I can't imagine that matters to the average hunter. That was spread from 5 degrees to 70 degrees and elevation from 2000 feet to 10000 feet. What am I missing?

amassi

WKR
When I punch in numbers on ballistic calculators I get a POI change of about 2 inches at 500 yards with 65 degrees of temperature change and 8000 feet of elevation change. I can't imagine that matters to the average hunter. That was spread from 5 degrees to 70 degrees and elevation from 2000 feet to 10000 feet. What am I missing?
2" just with some environmentals
65* will also change your velocity further changing poi.
You also lost the ability to shoot other bullets, change powders, run a suppressor or break
Long range shooting shouldn't be about "close enough" when better tools exist

sndmn11

WKR
Get the dial set up as MOA and you will be far better served. On the versions we had, the standard MOA dial had no zero stop on it like the custom ones.

Firehawk

WKR
I have run one on my Kimber 325WSM. For the hunting ranging that this rifle is designed to work within, it has worked perfectly. I live at 4500' so I just raised my elevation to typical hunting areas and it gives a good range from there. On elk out to 565 yards, it has worked perfectly. So...FWIW, I am pleased for my purposes.

I have another scope with just the MOA CDS turret on it. I printed out and laminated a dope chart and taped it to the stock. I has worked perfectly.