Who uses 4 fletch arrows?

IMO, ALWAYS use helical, even for super short target vanes. I have used 4", 90 degree fletch for traditional setups and loved not having to look down. If you are using 4-fletch on Blazers you run into the rest, rest-depending. However, the smaller the OD on the shaft the better. You should get adequate steering for broadheads with 3 if your bow and arrows are properly tuned.

2011-05-21_20-35-36_143.jpg

I thought about robbing my TightSpot from my recurve to try on my Element. I want to get the arrows/quiver closer to my riser. I wish they had a 7-arrow quiver. Nice pictures! By the way, did you put that Hoyt sticker on the quiver?

BSeals71

WKR
Just bought some VaneTech 2.88 and going to try fetching 3 arrows with 3 fletch & 3 arrows with 4 fletch to see how they fly.

I am also a fan of four fletching my arrows. I use four 4" vanes on my arrows, measured to a specific spot on my arrows with a wrap as well. I use a helical and they seem to do a great job so far over the last few seasons. I am shooting a recurve so it seems to help with any little inconsistencies that happen on my part.

Terrapin

WKR
I always use 4 low profile 3" vane tecs. They are super stiff and quieter in flight than any blazer (less flutter), and by being low profile (.38 high vs .6) they are less likely to hit obstructions in flight (cables, rest, brush). I fletch them with a bitzenberger helical clamp at the odd spacing (105, 75, 105, 75). This gives me slightly better clearance over the rest. Works great for fixed and expanding b-heads. Indoor and hunting 3". For field and fita in the wind I do drop down to a smaller vanetec (1.8" ss) in 3 or 4 fletch depending on diameter of arrow and weight goals.

JasonWi

WKR
I tried 4 fletch a few years back. They shot very well for me. Then when I started fletching my arrows with the AAE mini, I didn't feel like it was worth the 4th fletch by the amount of helical I was able to get with the mini.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I switched arrows completely and have 4 four fletch and 4 three fletch I'm testing out. I think the drag is going to be considerable on the 4 fletch at longer distances.

With 4" vanes you shouldn't have to four fletch.

I played with four fletch blazers shortly but couldn't get clearance through a whisker biscuits black bristles.

I'm going back to 4" vanes.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
man this has got me interested. never tried 4 fletch. Well looks like I will be doing some experimenting. So just confirming for the guys using blazers you guys are running them 3 degree helical?

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Also is anyone that runs a four fletch by chance using a trophy taker smack down pro? Just curious about anyone with experience reference clearance issues

OP
justin davis
When I use blazers I use 4 fletch and I have them fletched helical. I use a Hamskea versa rest with no contact issues.

Outwest

WKR
I'm about to revamp my whole arrow setup. I decided on aae max hunter vanes and now I'm really interested in the 4 fletch idea.
Does anyone have any significant issues at longer ranges with a 4 fletch setup as far as drag and wind drift?

Also is anyone that runs a four fletch by chance using a trophy taker smack down pro? Just curious about anyone with experience reference clearance issues

I do and I have no issues. I have 4 blazers in right helical on my arrows with a trophy taker smack down pro.

IrishnId

WKR
I used four Flex Fletch 2" silent knights last year and got better flight with crosswinds with Steel force Phathead broadheads. I fletched them with my Arizona EZ fletcher and it SUCKS for four fletching. Getting a Bitzen this year. I think the pros definitely outweighed the cons with four fletch.

Maxhunter

WKR
I'm sticking with my 3 fletch AAE Maxhunter vanes. Never had any issues shooting my broadheads. My shop manager likes shooting the 4 fletch but I'll stick with my 3 fletch.

I switched to four fletch last year and discovered that it aids in tuning my broadheads (shooting 125 gr phatheads) because I can turn the nock to any position I want which changed my point of impact with some arrows. This was despite squaring both ends of the shaft. I'm assuming this is because of spine inconsistencies? Anyway it worked for me and I didn't see a noticeable difference in drop at longer distances.

I could never imagine goin to 4 fletch, never needed I and couldn't imagine adding that much weight to the back when its not needed for me at least