Who uses 4 fletch arrows?

Years ago I figured out by doing my own tests that fletching my arrows with 4 vanes instead of 3 vanes seems to produce an arrow that is more forgiving and accurate. Anyone else use 4 fletch?

arrow004.jpg

pronghorn

FNG
I recently fletched up four Gold Tip 30X with four fletch and three with three fletch. I shot them a bit before deciding that for target arrows there was little to no benefit that I could find. I was getting some contact with my chin on the four fletch so that made it a little easier to decide as well.

I do plan on trying the experiment again this summer with my hunting arrows and simply moving the fletching forward 1/4" on the arrows.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do them that way. Found out the only real advantage was that you could pull one out of the quiver and place it on the string. And either way, it was right. No looking to make sure the cock feather was up, bown, or side ways. No upside down, down side up, or bass ackwards problems to worry about.

OP
justin davis
I used to do them that way. Found out the only real advantage was that you could pull one out of the quiver and place it on the string. And either way, it was right. No looking to make sure the cock feather was up, bown, or side ways. No upside down, down side up, or bass ackwards problems to worry about.

Oh yea that is another nice thing about the four fletch! No need to worry just nock the arrow.

Yea if it is just target three vanes is good. But for hunting 4 vanes is the ticket in my opinion. Steers broadheads better and more forgiving when the adrenaline is pumping

I do think that for target or just shooting field points that there will be little if any difference other than vertical (due to some added weight). The benefit of running 4+ fletch is going to be the increased amount of drag on your arrow. That will produce better stability and broadhead flight with LARGE FIXED blades or ones with elongated ferrules. If you are simply shooting expandable heads then just stick with 3.

Campo

FNG
I am currently running a 4 fletch of VaneTec SS 3" vanes! Really liked the flight I got out of them last year.

That said, I am going to be looking at a 3 fletch of 4" vanes this year.

It really is mostly about surface area...the more surface area, the more drag. The more drag, the better an arrow is "steered" from the rear.

After some very rough math calculations, I figured that a 3 fletch of 4" vanes has almost the same surface area as a 4 fletch of 3" low profile vanes.

I hope that these turn out so that you can see them. Here are my turkey arrows :) Running the 125 gr Magnus BULLHEADS!!! AEROHEAD300 gave me a ton of trouble over them but...I enjoyed building them and they fly GREAT with that head!!!

2011-05-20_23-13-29_832.jpg

2011-05-21_20-35-36_143.jpg

2011-05-21_20-35-52_297.jpg

JG358

WKR
I played around with every fletching combo I could think of between 3 and 8 vanes.... I always end up going back to 3.

merch

FNG
I have never tried a 4 fletch set up. I understand the increased drag of 4 vanes over 3 will aid in stabilization, providing it is an increase of overall vane surface area. How does a 4 fletch low profile act vs. 3 fletch blazer with a smaller broadhead like a sliktrick? Just curious if this is a path worth exploring or a task in fustration. Any notable difference in arrow velocity?

Campo

FNG
It is always about surface area and drag (read: steering).

A 4 fletch of smaller vanes may be similar to a 3 fletch of larger, taller vanes.

Experimentation is the best way to go! :)

I have never tried a 4 fletch set up. I understand the increased drag of 4 vanes over 3 will aid in stabilization, providing it is an increase of overall vane surface area. How does a 4 fletch low profile act vs. 3 fletch blazer with a smaller broadhead like a sliktrick? Just curious if this is a path worth exploring or a task in fustration. Any notable difference in arrow velocity?

merch

FNG
When you guys are setting up 4 fletch do you install them straight or helical?

OR Archer

WKR
I fletch all of my arrows with just 3 vanes. I will be trying a 4 fletch on my indoor arrows when ever I get around to setting up another target rig. So far Ive been pretty lucky in that I havent needed the extra vane to help with broadhead flight. Im of the belief that if your bow is set up and tuned properly it should be able to shoot just about any arrow combo accurately no matter what the fletching.