Who uses a horse bow?

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
For the past year or so I have been hunting with an Eastwind Horse Bow from Crow's head outfitters. I used to use a bowtech allegiance but due to a rotater cuff injury I was no longer able to pull my compound back over the hump and hold it to sight in with the pins etc. So, I decided to try a lower poundage traditional archery setup. I took a complete leap of faith and took a slightly different path however. I liked using a release with my compound for the smooth release and consistent accuracy. So I had been doing research on long bows, and recurves mainly and every now and then would see mention of a horse bow and thumb release or mongolian draw.

So long story short I picked up the Eastwind from crowshead, and a thumb ring from 3rivers. I had never shot a trad bow before so I did not have any adjustment or habits to overcome to get aquainted with the thumb ring. I was able to take right to it and after a couple days of practice i was nailing the bullseye out to 25 yards. Practicing for a few months and i was able to slowly extend my range, and now I can consistently hit a pie plate out to about 45 yards.

I took my first deer with trad archery using the Eastwind this fall. The shot was a beautiful double lung pass through at about 25-30 yards. I have also been squirrel and rabbit hunting successfully.

Just wondering if anyone else out there uses a horse bow for fun or for hunting. I REALLY like the thumb ring. It is not nearly as finicky or inconvient as a compound bow release IMO. It stays on your thumb like a ring, and i can shoot without any thought about the ring itself being there at all, no trigger mechanism to hook onto the string etc, you just loop your thumb around the string. The ring allows for a very smooth, crisp, consistent release. The short style of the horse bow allows me to easily use it in wooded or brushy areas.

I also found that the "Mongolian draw" or thumb draw was a much stronger position for my shoulder. I can draw my 45# horse bow with ease using the thumb draw technique with the thumb ring without any pain or twinges in my shoulder.

I also took to instinctive shooting right away, i think i was blessed or just born for this. It took very little practice to get very accurate results shooting instinctively for me.

I would recommend anyone with a shoulder injury give the mongolian draw a try, i think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Anyone out there hunt or shoot a horse bow? Interested to hear other people's opinions on them if you have given them a try.

bluestone

FNG
Great info. I've been hunting with a longbow for about 22 years now, and the total archery experience for me this way is over the top. I recently ( a year now), have a severely torn tendon in my right rotator cuff, and will need surgery. The horse bow and thumb ring sound like a possible 'go to' for me and I am excited about this possibility in the event I'm unable to shoot as I have been. Thanks for the information!

OP
T

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I am sure you could probably use a thumb ring with many different types of bows besides a horse bow as well. I just only own one trad bow, so havn't been able to test it out. You can pick up some decent thumb rings for 10-30 bucks, pick one up and give it a shot. I use the one from 3rivers. If it doesn't work for you , you could always return it.