Who uses a Kestrel (meter) when hunting?

Do you actually use a Kestrel?

• No, its a nice technology, but its expensive and I've replaced it with other tools.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Yes, but only when I shoot PRS/NRL matches.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Yes, but only when I'm hunting.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, I use it whenever I shoot.

Votes: 36 62.1%

• Total voters

mthayr

WKR
With the popularity of advanced rangefinders/range finding binoculars (EL-Range TA/Leica .COM/Sig ABS/Vortex Fury/etc.) that include sensors like temperature and ABC, and smartphones with ballistic apps (AB Mobile/Hornady 4DOF/etc.) - do you still/also use a Kestrel meter?

Feel free to describe your use case for it if so. For myself, and what I've observed at local PRS matches (known distances), out of 100 competitors, maybe 3 have a Kestrel unit out and are consulting it. Lots more consulting of iPhones and scribbling on arm boards per stage. I can't imagine the NRL Hunter crowd has enough time to input or even bluetooth ranges back and forth and still engage targets within the time limits. I'm curious about hunting though - do you use it when you set out for the day, if so how do you compensate for variable conditions, or are you taking it out just before the shot...?

Look forward to hearing your real world (i.e. no "armchair quarterbacks") experiences.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
600 and in I do not pull it out. Past that, I might as well just check for any variation in atmospheric inputs along with checking the wind! It is a great tool to have and hopefully never pull it out!

OP
mthayr

mthayr

WKR
The longest kill shot I've ever personally witnessed was calculated with a Kestrel.
Was it a situation of "Its such a long shot, I have plenty of time to use the Kestrel"? How far was it (if you don't mind my asking)?

OP
mthayr

mthayr

WKR
600 and in I do not pull it out. Past that, I might as well just check for any variation in atmospheric inputs along with checking the wind! It is a great tool to have and hopefully never pull it out!
And here's getting at the crux of my question... the one data point the Kestrel gives you over the sensors in your "advanced" rangefinder is wind, but you're reading wind where you are, not 600+ yards away. It can be accurate, or it could mislead you if all you were relying on was the reading. I do carry an anemometer, but have seldom found the situation to actually use/rely on it - but then again, I'm no wizard at reading mirage either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was it a situation of "Its such a long shot, I have plenty of time to use the Kestrel"? How far was it (if you don't mind my asking)?
1284 yards. The hunter uses a Kestrel exclusively, knows his system intimately and was ready to shoot very quickly. Made a one shot kill once the bull cleared the brush.

This is the long range sub forum, I don't want to hear from the LR ethics Karen's.

OP
mthayr

mthayr

WKR
1284 yards. The hunter uses a Kestrel exclusively, knows his system intimately and was ready to shoot very quickly. Made a one shot kill once the bull cleared the brush.

This is the long range sub forum, I don't want to hear from the LR ethics Karen's.
That indeed why I posted the question here!

Lawnboi

WKR
I use the wind screen a lot to help program my mind to what I’m feeling as a number. I think it’s important to have something like it to put a number to the wind your feeling, but I don’t see myself pulling it out for a shot at the level of shooter Im at right now. If it’s in a spot that I think I need a solver to put my bullet where I want, I’ll try to get closer. I could see that change in the future with more experience but that’s what it is for me right now.

But if I plan on shooting in the field past 300 yards it’s with the gun.

For competition Iv been using it the same way. I find my cell phone app and hard data to be easier for the time being as far as drops and wind holds, but I do use the kestrel to gather wind. Really without some kind of wind meter your really really guessing. I think that starts to spreads the left or right edge guys with the guys that are making calculated wind holds. Yes winging it gets hits sometimes but not as consistent.

I use the wind screen a lot to help program my mind to what I’m feeling as a number. I think it’s important to have something like it to put a number to the wind your feeling, but I don’t see myself pulling it out for a shot at the level of shooter Im at right now. If it’s in a spot that I think I need a solver to put my bullet where I want, I’ll try to get closer. I could see that change in the future with more experience but that’s what it is for me right now.

But if I plan on shooting in the field past 300 yards it’s with the gun.

For competition Iv been using it the same way. I find my cell phone app and hard data to be easier for the time being as far as drops and wind holds, but I do use the kestrel to gather wind. Really without some kind of wind meter your really really guessing. I think that starts to spreads the left or right edge guys with the guys that are making calculated wind holds. Yes winging it gets hits sometimes but not as consistent.
This is a sound statement. We should use anything and everything to make a better shot, but you have to draw the line based on your own limitations.

You can't buy experience.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll also add, the club matches I shoot, I’d say half the shooter have kestrels, and use them. Most top shooters Iv squadded with had a kestrel for capturing wind and we’re making calculated wind calls.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And here's getting at the crux of my question... the one data point the Kestrel gives you over the sensors in your "advanced" rangefinder is wind, but you're reading wind where you are, not 600+ yards away. It can be accurate, or it could mislead you if all you were relying on was the reading. I do carry an anemometer, but have seldom found the situation to actually use/rely on it - but then again, I'm no wizard at reading mirage either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you have the wind where you are it is at least an educated guess for wind lol. I would rather take that reading and base my call off of it than lick my finger and throw it in the air haha. The kestrel normally gives a pretty close wind call from the amount that I have used it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you aren't getting an accurate wind where you are, then you don't even have a baseline to fudge other numbers from as you read. Even ELR guys shooting crazy distances use a Kestrel for local wind.

I carry a Kestrel with AB, but I only use it for wind and backup for ballistics.

I also carry my Kestrel when I am out and about to guess wind and then see how close I was. You'd be surprised how fast you can calibrate your brain to wind speed based on feel and sound.

If you want to add another tool to your wind reading, study what wildland firefighters learn about wind and windspeed so you can read how it flows over terrain. I can't find my favorite stuff right now, but here is one quick document from a google search.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I almost always have a Kestrel with me when shooting and/or hunting with a rifle. I don't use it for ballistics, just environmental conditions, and wind. Mine is the 4000 I think and doesn't have ballistics.

When I'm hunting, I use my Kilo2400 ABS rangefinder and only use the Kestrel if I need a wind reading.

For matches with known distances, I use the Kestrel for conditions and Applied Ballistics on my phone to get all my dopes. If I have to range a target at a match I use my Kilo2400.

I also just picked up the Sig 10K binoculars for NRL Hunter matches and may use them for hunting as well but it's hard to put down my NL Pures so I'll likely hunt mostly with the Kilo 2400.

OP
mthayr

mthayr

WKR
I almost always have a Kestrel with me when shooting and/or hunting with a rifle. I don't use it for ballistics, just environmental conditions, and wind. Mine is the 4000 I think and doesn't have ballistics.

When I'm hunting, I use my Kilo2400 ABS rangefinder and only use the Kestrel if I need a wind reading.

For matches with known distances, I use the Kestrel for conditions and Applied Ballistics on my phone to get all my dopes. If I have to range a target at a match I use my Kilo2400.

I also just picked up the Sig 10K binoculars for NRL Hunter matches and may use them for hunting as well but it's hard to put down my NL Pures so I'll likely hunt mostly with the Kilo 2400.
So do you think an inexpensive anemometer would do about the same, given your other kit?

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the wind where you are it is at least an educated guess for wind lol. I would rather take that reading and base my call off of it than lick my finger and throw it in the air haha. The kestrel normally gives a pretty close wind call from the amount that I have used it.

Yes, my thoughts exactly and the reason I carry my Kestrel on most hunts.

No, the Kestrel doesn't give me perfect wind data, but it does give me something to work with. Whats a better alternative - the proverbial Wild Ass Guess?

SDHNTR

WKR
Too much gadgetry and pushing my own personal ethical limits of tech use in the field. If I have to whip out a techy thingamagig to figure out how to shoot something at distance, that distance is too far, for me anyway.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I pretty much always have my kestral with me whenever I shoot. It's an invaluable tool for both competing and hunting.