Who uses a pot for cooking?

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I need a pot to put in my pack what recommendation do you guys have? There seem to be quite a few but sizes and weights make it tough to pick one out having only used one on a guided hunt. What is a good weight and size? Or would a kettle style be more useful? (assuming you be warming water for mtn house)

pipe? joint? j/k

i use a halulite pot from gsr and ive been happy with it, it came with the micro dualist set. not the lightest but gets the job done for less $ than titanium

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
For bivy use: Snow peak titanium pot/lid/cup. Snowpeak litemax stove, guyot squishy cup (keeps things quiet) and small fuel fit nicely inside. All in a mesh bag. So far it has been a good lightweight camp kitchen for me.

I use a MSR large titanium pot when "glamping" in the 12 man kifaru tipi as a base camp.

bbrown

WKR
I use the halulite soloist from GSR (I think anyways..) - it holds my stove (snow peak giga), small fuel canister, pot grabber and a small spice container. Its realitivly light, small and has help up well. Also comes with a cozy and lid so you can sip hot drinks which comes in handy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Boiling only? MSR titan kettle is my go to. Lots of small titanium cup options out there but the titan kettle fits the msr sized gas canisters perfectly.

I also have a set of MSR aluminum pans for when i want to get a little more fancy

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Snow Peak Ti 900 pot/cup and a Lite Max stove. My stove and a large canister fit in my pot for transport and are a great, compact system. It comes with a small pan that I have used to cook fish and as a bowl for oatmeal when coffee is in the pot. The stove is extremely efficient.

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
Mainly for Mountain house and water for coffee

I am currently saving my pennies for a backcountry boiler. Interesting specs, no fuel to carry, and boils water like a champ. For car camping I have a Kelly Kettle, which I love but for the weight and bulk. The backcountry boiler answeres those issues, and if Devin ever makes one in Ti I would buy it at full retail, and not even get rid of the Al one.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
For simply boiling water, I use a GSI Minimalist. It holds a small fuel canister and stove, is light enough and is under $30.

Lukem

WKR
For simply boiling water, I use a GSI Minimalist. It holds a small fuel canister and stove, is light enough and is under $30.

That's on my list for this year. Should work perfect with my little stove. Have been using an older MSR black aluminum pot ( I think, can't remember all the specs). it's quite a bit bigger, doesn't weigh much, but I don't think it's quite as efficient as other pots.

Soto stove and a jetboil solo cup that I manually notched the bottom edge of to fit the stove. It was a Luke Moffat brainchild and workes great for me. I am consistently boiling water faster than my friends using other non micro-regulator stoves especially in lower temps and higher altitudes.

I also have an m-kettle which is nearly identical to the backcountry boiler. It works as described but once you use it you have to do something with the coals then let it cool for a few minutes then try and rinse out the burn cup before packing it up. Everything in the pack will end up smelling like wood smoke if you put it in the main pocket (this was proven by tossing it in the cargo box on the wheeler which still smells of wood smoke). I traded for mine and I would possibly use it if I was doing a very long hike (read 20-30 or more days) in an area that had a good amount of fuel. It isn't much use above tree line or up on the brooks range. I started to do a video to show the m-kettle but after three takes with my oldest kid filming on an iphone I realized that I cussed to much to reasonably be able to edit it to something usable. I will leave that junk to Becca and Luke! I don't see me getting 20 plus days off anytime soon and can't think of a time when I would rather try and use the m-kettle over a cannister or liquid fuel stove and ultralight pot. I am eating mountain house with the Soto/jet boil cup in less time than it would take me to gather the dry twigs to start the m-kettle.

unm1136

WKR
Everything in the pack will end up smelling like wood smoke if you put it in the main pocket (this was proven by tossing it in the cargo box on the wheeler which still smells of wood smoke).

I had heard that, and was planning on using a Kifaru Long Pocket for a Sustainment pouch. Where I have been hunting the last couple of years there is an abundance of fuel and kindling. I have had no problems with letting my kelly kettle cool enough to package by the time I am done eating.

pat