Who uses a spotting scope?

whitingja

WKR
I just got back from a scouting trip, and like most of my other outings, I didn't use my spotting scope, even though I hauled it in. I end up using my binoculars. How many people pack in a scope and tripod and use them regularly?

Last edited:

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't imagine going scouting without them and my spotter and tripod come in at just under 6 pounds. It saves a ton of walking for me. I generally hunt areas I can glass for miles though. If you hunt areas where things are not so open I guess you could get by without one. It is all personal preference, but absolutely mandatory for me scouting and hunting.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought my first spotter. I've been using 10x25 Leica's for years. The work well in the wooded areas I've been hunting but I'm trying some new country higher up this year. Depending on how it goes I may have to upgrade the binos to 8x42 or 10x42.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
on the last 4 day scouting trip I bet we spent 6 hours a day (or more) behind my 85mm. We wouldn't have seen half the animals we picked out if I would have left it at home.

Like RosinBag, I can't imagine not having it with me, but if you're hunting an area that's not conducive to a glassing environment than I wouldn't stick it in my pack either.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I dont use mine enough and almost never for hunting. But at the same time I normally hunt western oregon ,So it makes it hard but it has been making its way into my pack when scouting more often!

Beastmode

WKR
As said previously it depends on the Terrain you are hunting. In heavy timber with no good vantage points it isn't worth the wait. If you can get on a good vantage point where you can see for a good distance they are definitely worth there weight.

If bigger spotters are too large but binoculars aren't enough consider the Nikon ED 50. It's a great compact spotter that won't break the bank as bad as it's bigger brothers.

Yeti

FNG
In the area I hunt it's an absolute must for me while I'm scouting or hunting. I have spotted a lot of deer that I would have missed otherwise.

ridgefire

WKR
i have thougt about buying one but really dont need it. i know the drainages well enough where i hunt that my 10x42 binocs are plenty good. if i was scouting or hunting a new area then i would consider one.

7mag.

WKR
I can't imagine going on a hunting trip without my spotter. Using a quality spotter has completely changed how I hunt.

So it sounds like a lot of you guys are using spotters to locate animals? I like to hunt/scout high, open country, and I use my spotting scope a ton, but I dont know that I have ever used it to locate. The scope doesnt come out until I have found the critters with my binos, then I use it to figure out just what I am looking at, and get a few pictures or video through the spotter. I guess the exception would be: I find a deer with the binos and then get the scope on him, and then start picking up his buddies bedded around him.
My question is, Am I missing something by not using my spotter for actually looking for animals? I guess it seems like the FOV would be too small to make this productive, even on 20X. What are your thoughts?

7mag.

WKR
So it sounds like a lot of you guys are using spotters to locate animals? I like to hunt/scout high, open country, and I use my spotting scope a ton, but I dont know that I have ever used it to locate. The scope doesnt come out until I have found the critters with my binos, then I use it to figure out just what I am looking at, and get a few pictures or video through the spotter. I guess the exception would be: I find a deer with the binos and then get the scope on him, and then start picking up his buddies bedded around him.
My question is, Am I missing something by not using my spotter for actually looking for animals? I guess it seems like the FOV would be too small to make this productive, even on 20X. What are your thoughts?

If you haven't read David Long's book on Mule Deer hunting, you should. He outlines a very effective glassing method using bino's first, then the spotter. Using this method, I have found deer that I missed with my bino's. His book is for sale here on the site.

bigmoose

WKR
I use mine while scouting but don't bring it on the hunt unless I'm antelope hunting. Then I carry it everywhere I go. I'm thinking of using it more now to save on the legs a bit though.

Moose

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn't read Davids book, but I agree with what you just said!

I glass with the binoculars and then start a grid with my spotter. This works very well at longer distances and picking up small things like antlers tips and curls are much easier with the spotter and in some cases almost impossible compared to using a set of 10 powers binoculars.

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Aron, what binocs and spotting scope do you pack with you. I have seen your tripod setup, how heavy is that?