Who uses collapsible water bottles?

Poser

WKR
I carry a Platypus 3L which I filter water into and then fill my drinking bottles or cook pot with. I often carry it when bike touring as well since it’s nice to be able to filter a lot of water at once (enough for dinner, breakfast + refilling bottles in the morning) when sitting around camp vs. having to fill individual implements. Also use them backcountry skiing since, with an air bag pack, layers, tools etc, space is usually at a premium.

TheGDog

WKR
IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: I'll say this... when going into areas where there is basically little to no water available to filter, or the area is new to you, so you don't know for sure if there is.... whatever the total amount of water is that you are electing to carry-in on your hunt?... Be sure to have it split-apart equally into at least two containers housing half of it if you aren't familiar with an area.

That way, if you find yourself sucking dry to the bottom of the bag, you know it's time to turn around and not go in any deeper that day. Also, if one container physically fails on you and develops a leak?, again, you know you have that same amount of water to get you back outta there.

Or at least do something like this until you get good at judging how much water you'll blow thru in a particular area for the time of year you're in there.

It can be an EXTREMELY serious situation to find out the hard way you just sucked-down the last of your water... especially if its at the bottom of a mountain and your vehicle is back UP at the top. On a hot and muggy October day. (FML)

If that situation does ever present itself, understand and realize that you may need to be patient and wait in the shade until sundown fully comes, to take advantage of the drop in temp. And that even with that drop in temp... it's going to suck more than anything in your life has ever sucked before. And that you will never take water for granted ever again.

mtnkid85

WKR
I like them. I use a power aid bottle as my main bottle and carry one or two 1-2l soft bottles depending on the objective.

Ill usually just fill them up before i head up to camp. Ive never had one fail me.

Snicolio

WKR
Sorry if this is a dumb question but are these collapsible water bottles easy to fill up in the mountains with a hand pump water purifier. The openings seem kinda small and I have the kataydn hiker pro and was wondering if there would be any issues filling this bottles up in the mountains.

rayporter

WKR
the nalgene is a wide mouth. thats why i like it. the problem is the wide mouth is hard to drink from and thats the reason for the cap cap.

TheGDog

WKR
Sorry if this is a dumb question but are these collapsible water bottles easy to fill up in the mountains with a hand pump water purifier. The openings seem kinda small and I have the kataydn hiker pro and was wondering if there would be any issues filling this bottles up in the mountains.
The Vapur Watterbags... they have a simple carabiner-type clip built into their screw-on lids. The lids themselves are a hinged pop-top sort of design though. No losing the tops out in the field. The opening is like about the same size as a Crystal Geyser 1 Gal. Water Bottle you buy from the store, maybe a little bigger? Like I said, what I've learned to like about them is that they are fairly easy to open silently, after you open it, you gently squeeze in the sides to remove any air, then raise to your mouth, so no sloshing either. Then just before you pop the hinged top back on to its rubber seated opening, you again gently squeeze-out any air in the bag so it's silent!

They are also easier to clean too since you don't have to fill them full with water. You can just put in just enough water, along with a little blob of Dawn Platinum... close the top... shake violently... leave it set awhile with the soap all foamed up. Then rinse out a bit later.

Sometimes I'll use them to store Amino Acid drink supplement, especially when it's hotter. If you do that you gotta be good about cleaning it out once you get home.

Oh... and they also work great for chillin' at your local Concerts in the Park with your favorite spirit on the D-Lo ;) And don't raise the eyebrow of your local PD that's cruising around within the function.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Do any of you use them specifically in lieu of hard bottles in the backcountry? I carry a 48 oz nalgene and a 60oz ss hydro flask. I’d like to drop some weight and bulk if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3L bladder, 32 oz Nalgene(stays at camp) and a 6L storage bladder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
I typically like to hike-in and stash 2 extra gallons ahead of time on prior scouting trips. (Because either no filterable source near enough by the area...OR... you can't count on the river/creek to be flowing or actually having water on the surface) Then at time of hunt 3L Bladder + 3L Bag + 1L Vapur + 1L Gatorade.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a lot of the 2 liter platypus bottles and I usually take a few on backpack hunts in case I need to fill up and carry more water, the hose from my 3 liter bladder attaches right to them as well. Saved me on a sheep hunt last year, I filled up 3 of them plus my hydration bag (and a nalgene) for a total of 10 liters and packed it several more miles to where I was camping. The weight sucked but there wasn’t any water to be found up there so it was nice to have a few days worth.

TheGDog

WKR
I always figure the extra water is just prepping you for when you get a kill and have to hikeout all that weight anyway. Plus I ran out of water on one of my very first hunts. Ran out of water with 3.5miles and 2300ft Elevation Gain to get back to my vehicle! Hot and Muggy LA October day. That shizzle was scary as hell! Inside my jacket I was drenched with sweat, but my entire tongue... as far back as it goes... was bone-dry to the touch! Rapid Heartbeat too because your body is stealing water from your bloodstream so less fluid in the pipes equals heart needs to pump faster to circulate it. So I never ever ever for the rest of my natural life want to ever go thru that again. You look at your life WAY differently after an episode like that. I appreciate water soo much now! Boy you have no idea!

Wassid82

WKR
Ive used them for a couple of years with no problems. I think they work great for my water filter as well. I can roll them up when not. In use or lay flat in a pouch. The other great thing is they are cheap. I use them with a water bladder in my pack. The small size are great for a side pouch and don’t make the sloshing sound when half empty